• Hard Edge

0 0%
  • Soft Edge

3 60.00%
  • Have a variety of both in your collection

2 40.00%

Thread: Hard or Soft Edge?

Default Hard or Soft Edge?

Weird, tried to google if anyone has discussed to choose hard or soft edge GNDs but seems like i cant find any results.

But anyway i just wanna find out what you guys think about choosing hard or soft edge gnds and the pros and cons to choosing hard or soft. Heard that by using hard edge, you can see the difference more clearly but details might be lost in the brighter part of skies. What is the difference in appearance in both filters actually?

Default Re: Hard or Soft Edge?

I think the best reference I can find so far is: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...ns-filters.htm
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Just read it, quite a good one. gonna mark that web down =)

Why this poll? Do you want to start a poll for each photo opportunity you come across and where you intend to use GND filters? Read up about the filters, analyze your situations .. and finally you might end up having both types. Use according your situation and intention.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Why this poll? Do you want to start a poll for each photo opportunity you come across and where you intend to use GND filters? Read up about the filters, analyze your situations .. and finally you might end up having both types. Use according your situation and intention.
    Ok i uds what you mean. I know most people might not think this poll is of any use at all. Its okay. Im not gonna use this poll to determine what im gonna use in the future as well. Just want to know what you guys use, maybe can give some comments as to why they use hard of soft gnds and learn from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Read up about the filters, analyze your situations .. and finally you might end up having both types. Use according your situation and intention.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by gohjialong View Post
    Weird, tried to google if anyone has discussed to choose hard or soft edge GNDs but seems like i cant find any results.

But anyway i just wanna find out what you guys think about choosing hard or soft edge gnds and the pros and cons to choosing hard or soft. Heard that by using hard edge, you can see the difference more clearly but details might be lost in the brighter part of skies. What is the difference in appearance in both filters actually?
    I think it's not that hard to understand what their uses are if you bother to think, think, think.

You have a tendency to just ask questions that pop out of your mind - that's fine if you're 3 or 4, but I hope you're older than that. In the long run, doing that just cripples your ability to learn and assimilate things. I can just imagine a driving lesson - "Teacher, what's the difference between pressing the brake pedal very hard at the last minute and pressing it lightly earlier leh?" The mind atrophies if you don't bother to use it, I just hope it's not too late.

That aside, I'm sure you are well acquainted with the definition of a hard and soft edge GND. A hard edge is more useful for scenes where the horizon line is distinct, and there is no need for a gentle transition (seascapes, for example, where the opposite bank is at least some distance away). A soft edge is more useful for scenes where there is this need (cityscapes, seascapes where your rocks will cut the horizon - just imagine a black rock as opposed to a progressively darkened rock). There is no end to listing what situations you should use A or B, best if you have both and you can pick and choose appropriately given a firm grounding and understanding of light.

Some very comprehensive results using Google and typing "hard or soft edge gnd" are listed below.

Wikipedia:

A hard edge is used when there is an abrupt change in brightness. For example a field with a horizon to a bright sky. A soft edge is a wider smoother change from light to dark. This is used when the light and dark portions are not distinctly separated. For example a mountain and sky. A soft edge filter is less noticeable than a hard edge. It also has the benefit of making the sky more intense, darkening the sky the closer on the top.
    Shawn Thompson Photography - you should take a look at his images, btw

Hard Edge GND filters are best used in scenes that have hard, clean lines without anything protruding through them such as a lake with a clear horizon line.

Soft Edge GND filters are best used in busier scenes such as a Pier with a lighthouse or a stream with foliage, trees and a bit of sky showing.

If there is no choice, then I'd rather have a soft, as it is more versatile.

There is also a reverse GND - suggest you go google and read up about the use of that before asking what the difference is between reverse GND, hard GND, soft GND.

Im sorry if i tend to ask questions, create new threads or polls just to ask some simple questions which i most of the time can find answer myself. This time i just wanted to see what members prefer to use, rather than the use for those filters. like how they compare the hard and soft. but it seems like i can look that up and find some answers myself too.

Anyway thanks for the inputs and it made me uds more on those filters and what they are used for in diff situations.

a simple answer is depends on what type of focal length you use with the filter, a soft edge work well with wide angle focal length setting, a hard edge work well with telephoto focal lenght setting.
    why? it is because of the different character of the focal length.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio