Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Enquiry regarding camera shake.

Default Enquiry regarding camera shake.

hi guys .. i would like to check if i were to use a slower shutter speed (eg 2sec) to shot a photo. isit normal that my camera shake/vibrates more as compare to if i were to use a faster shutter speed to shoot the same photo?
    Last edited by TWmilkteaTW; 14th June 2011 at 12:03 AM.

Default Re: Enquiry regarding camera shake.

Quote Originally Posted by TWmilkteaTW View Post
    hi guys .. i would like to check if i were to use a slower shutter speed (eg 2sec) to shot a photo. isit normal that my camera shake/vibrates more as compare to if i were to use a faster shutter speed?
    Of course. The longer the exposure time, the more prone to camera shake it is.
    Last edited by spree86; 14th June 2011 at 12:09 AM.

oh ok.. so to prevent that from happening.. either i use a tripod.. or increase my ISO? so it wont shake so bad? because i thought my camera need servicing.. the "shaking" is so much more compare to shooting at a fast Shutter speed.

Erm... technically your camera won't *shake* or *vibrate* more with slower shutter speed. However, whatever little movement of your hand holding the camera will be captured. Not unless your camera has a vibrator built in.

I think anything lower than 1/25 will start to show signs of shake unless you're very steady. Get a good tripod.. Better.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    Erm... technically your camera won't *shake* or *vibrate* more with slower shutter speed. However, whatever little movement of your hand holding the camera will be captured. Not unless your camera has a vibrator built in.
    Don't give Apple any weird ideas They might just do it

oh ok.. becos the shutter door opens longer? so if i did alittle movement..the pic will appear blur-er?
    am i right?

it's not your camera that shakes. it's your hand that shakes. that's why there's in-built stabilization. but it won't work effectively for shutter speeds longer than 1 second.

to combat handshake, use the 1/focal length rule i.e. if you're shooting at 50mm, your shutter speed should be 1/50mm which is at least 1/50 seconds

sorry.. what do u mean by Apple. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    I think anything lower than 1/25 will start to show signs of shake unless you're very steady. Get a good tripod.. Better.
    General rule of thumb is actually 1/(focal length), meaning you should use a shutter speed that is at least 1/(focal length). So let's say you're using a 100mm lens, and your camera's crop factor is 1.5x. Then the min shutter speed should be 1/(100*1.5)=1/150s or faster.

sorry.. what do u mean by Apple. ^^
    Haha don't mind me, just joking that they will include any idea that people suggest, including ahem "vibrators"

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    ha. u know... there are reports that people use their phones... shove it somewhere and then call it..

oh ok.. so to prevent that from happening.. either i use a tripod.. or increase my ISO? so it wont shake so bad? because i thought my camera need servicing.. the "shaking" is so much more compare to shooting at a fast Shutter speed.
    Yes. Camera shake or rather hand shake is caused by well, your hands. No matter how still you try to hold your hands it will still shake. Hence in an increase of ISO, you increase your shutter speed as well which will result in lesser hand shake as the faster your shutter speed is, the lesser it will be.

Shutter speed determines how fast the shutter takes to open and close. I would suggest you go read up the basics on shutter speed etc. =)
    Here is a link for a start!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/snapfact...5A73FEA8B7D7D2

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Oh no!!!!!! I just used 1/10s shutter speed and my camera is shaking so violently it jumps right out of my hand!!!!!

Sorry for OT, can't help with the joke...

Oh no!!!!!! I just used 1/10s shutter speed and my camera is shaking so violently it jumps right out of my hand!!!!!

haha that only happens with Olympus/Pentax/Sony and others with in camera stabilization

Quote Originally Posted by ziploc

Where are you putting it!!
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

can somebody reply to this post? am i right to say like that? thanks! ur reply and help is much appreciated. : )

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    ha. u know... there are reports that people use their phones... shove it somewhere and then call it..
    They actually have iVibrators for men and women, linked to your phone... So if your gf starts asking you to call and text her nonstop, you know why...
    Alpha

oh ok.. becos the shutter door opens longer? so if i did alittle movement..the pic will appear blur-er?
    am i right?
    Yes. When shutter speed gets lower, the sensor is exposed longer to the scene and so it becomes more sensitive to any movement. If your camera is stationary, it will capture movement as "motion blur". You can try shooting at a fan with 1/1000s and 1/60s and see the difference for yourself. But if your camera is not stationary, e.g. holding by hand, at slower shutter speed whatever small movement made by your hands will be captured, resulting in blur image.

can somebody reply to this post? am i right to say like that? thanks! ur reply and help is much appreciated. : )
    It was already replied to repeatedly. Read the replies please.
    Alpha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast