Thread: Kuching,Malaysia

Default Kuching,Malaysia

Hi, I am planning a trip to kuching in late june. It is my 1st time to kuching Any suggestions for places to go for photoshooting, hotel, food?tks heaps!

Default Re: Kuching,Malaysia

Near the riverside, there is the Hilton, Tunes, and many other hotels, depending on how much you want to spend. Further away, Pullman hotel is new and has a great view of the city as it sits on top of a hill.

Food wise, Top Spot is the famous tourist place for seafood. You can also pop into those local coffee shops for their kolo mee and local food fare. I cannot remember the names, but you can easily find recommendations by picking up a Lonely Planet guidebook.

Photo-wise, you can explore the riverside and/or go on the Lonely Planet's recommended walking tour pass old buildings, the indian and chinese quarters, and the temples and mosques. Kuching is a compact city with places of interests easily covered on foot.

You might also want to consider venturing out from the city to Damai for a night or two at the seaside beach, where the interesting Sarawak Cultural Village is also situated.

For the more adventurous, a trip to the Bako national park or homestay with ethnic Iban headhunters might be worth considering, though I did not do these.
    Last edited by Stuffed; 13th June 2011 at 03:02 PM.

1. Waterfront: Parliament House across river, water taxi; sun rise

2. Carpenter Street: temples and old shop houses; cheap food

3. Cultural Village: (1 hour drive from town); Santubong mountain and beach; there are 2 beach hotel nearby

4. Sunday Market; Dayak selling their jungle produce

5. National Park: Best to contact the local tour operators

5. Try the Kuching Laksa; Kuching Kolo Mee

thanks for the suggestions...I am looking to stay @ Santubong mountain and beach area but will be there for 3d2n, would it be too boring?

Quote Originally Posted by annmui View Post
    thanks for the suggestions...I am looking to stay @ Santubong mountain and beach area but will be there for 3d2n, would it be too boring?
    It depends on individuals actually; whether you and your companions like to chill by the beach watching the crowd or reading a book. If you stay in Damai beach resort, you could play beach volleyball, table tennis, chess, or swim in the pool.

For me, I did a 2D1N. Arriving early morning via shuttle and completing the Cultural Village, with the 1130 show, by noon. So I have the whole of the afternoon and the next morning to relax.

thanks...i am planning to go
    1)Fairy Cave
    2)Santubong
    3)Bantal Area or Damai beach?
    4)Bako National Park
    Should I engage a driver? Any recommendations?

1)Fairy Cave
    2)Santubong
    4)Bako National Park

all of this area u wanna go are out of town...so u need a driver to bring u there. as for buntal and damai...buntal the local usually go there for sunrise shoots...it is very beautiful in the morning. damai is more for the resort. i would recommend that u dedicate 1 day for makan makan in kch...the food at my hometown is very different..particularly kolo mee, laksa...and another u will either hate it or like it...belachan bee hoon.

Any of you from Kuching or Sarawak? my fiancee is from Sarawak and i've been there many times. As mentioned by others in this thread, the waterfront area has many nice old fashioned shop houses with all their native wares... good place if you like the nostalgic rustic feel of the 70s, try to visualize Jonker street in Malacca.

Food wise, the laksa and kolo mee, kan pua mee (foo chow food), belacan beehoon, siew mai, are worth trying. If you have chance to eat at their Zi Char or Seafood shops, do try their curry bamboo clams, oyster ommelete, salted egg crabs, stir fried paku (type of native fern), belacan bilin (type of native fern), lar kia kio soup (their native orange coloured eggplant). If you eat at their coffeeshops, do try their 3,4,5 layer teas, macam teh but got many other ingredients in them. Their kway chap is slightly different cos their ingredients are put into the kway but it tastes much more savoury than singapore type. Their terh ka perng (braised pig trotters rice) also fantastic!

Wah lau eh, i recommend until i'm salivating liao!!

I would recommend damai beach cos its not very clean and the beach is quite boring and the drive up there takes a long long time, kinda not worth it. But the cultural village is just beside it. Along they way there you will pass by a few seafood restaurants and you can eat at any one of them, super cheap and delicious!!

Just a tip for you, if you wana buy souvenirs, get them at carpenter street at the waterfront area as this is the cheapest place to get them. Dun buy souvenirs at the Sunday Market, cos its very expensive.

Shopping centres wise, you can visit Spring or Boulevard, pls dun expect Ion standards k, try to imagine our local heartland malls.

Photos wise, for nature/animal lovers, i recommend Semenggoh Nature Park, Matang Wildlife Centre and Jong's Crocodile Farm. The first two are rehabilitation centres for orang utans and other animals. Semenggoh has feeding times and you must be there before the feeding times to snap wild orang utans who come back to the feeding point for food. Do note that during fruiting season in the jungle, they may not come back. Matang has many orang utans in enclosures if you are keen. Both nature parks have nature treks for you to walk and you might bump into wild animals like sunbears and orang utans just to name a few. Havent been to Bako yet so can't advise you.

Jong's crocodile farm resembles a zoo with a wide variety of animals and do try to catch the dancing crocodile show if you can.

Alamak, i sound kinda disorganised with all my info all over the place. Hope my sharing is useful for you.

Quote Originally Posted by annmui View Post
    1)Fairy Cave
    2)Santubong
    4)Bako National Park
    Should I engage a driver? Any recommendations?
    Yes you need a driver.

You can try their river cruise. Can see sunset + fireflies.

You might see something like this:

i am from kuching...born and raised there..to ts if u are adventurous can try the Tuak if got go stay at long house...google annah rais...they have a lot of activities there...can give it a try if u wanna go "offline" from the world