View Poll Results: Which combination on storage method do you prefer when you go tour?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bring as many as memory cards you have (or borrow)

27 25.23%
  • Bring 1 memory card with a laptop

17 15.89%
  • Bring 1 memory card with a portable harddisk.

50 46.73%
  • Bring all your memory cards, do backup at nearest photoshop when run out of memory

4 3.74%
  • other....

9 8.41%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which combination on storage method do you prefer when you go tour?

i bring all my CF cards and all shots are composed carefully loh......dun anyhow shot and delete unwanted shots back at hotel....

some people i know burn to few pieces of CDR

usually 2 memory cards and portable harddisk, so I chose the closest option...

Cool

2 cards plus my 4GB image tank. depends on where to go and stay for how long.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    Waht bout de kamera?
    compact Point&Shoot, contax T3. :

cos i love shopping too, and dun be brogged down by weight of camera. theft and other what nots.

Memory card, laptop and portable storage device

4 Gig CF and portable storage as backup.

2x 512mb CF crds and my Powerbook

Quote Originally Posted by SniperD
    2x 512mb CF crds and my Powerbook
    we have something in common....I'm using a 12" PB....which are you using?

just bring enought memory cards to shoot for a day.... end of the day...return to hotel upload and burn into DVD..... lol....

so i guess 1GB x2 and my notebook would be more than enough.... and bring some blank dvd-r of cos....

As many storage cards as I can muster, my lightweight notebook with CD-RW, and a few CD-Rs. If you travel for more than a day, it's good to be able to review your shots, and after you cull your shots, put them onto CD-Rs (at least 2 copies), just in case anything happens to the notebook.

And of course, back up your notebook before you start the trip.

Hey! I am still travelling... I am having 1x1G & 2x512mb CF. I have finished all in 7 days...... When you come to photo opportunity, you are going to shoot hell lots of shoots. Guess what, i even transfer 692MB to a CDR in a shop locally.

My suggestion is get all the CF you have and bring alot a CRW portable writer... (portable HDD is risky!!!)

By the way, i went on a adventure tour... you probably will be out there around 4 days.... Laptop will not save your day....

Remember to bring enough spare battery (if you use internal flash very often, the battery, most likely will last slikely more than a day)

By the way, i shoot JPEG only. : )

I bring my desktop, all my CFs and my portable harddisk

No lah...I always say that to me wife when she want to bring her whole wardrobe. Just my CF cards and my X-Drive II and I always copy more than 2 times in case the X-Drive screws up copying.

Just bought a DigiMat II case (around SG$100) and put in my under-used 40gb 2.5" HDD, now I'm having a portable HDD card reader with me when I'm on the go. It's quite fast, 7-8min to copy a full 1GB CF-II card, and it has a built-in Lion battery, weight only about 250 gram with the disk. Very good for money imo. I only charged it once, and copied 3 full 1GB CF card so far in the past month. The batter meter still reads about 7% full (don't know how reliable about the meter though).

I use it as a portable HDD too, to back up stuff like normal portable HDD. And it can be used as a card reader which can read 9 type of cards (all the flash cards available I guess)

I shoot RAW whenever I can btw.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by fengwei
    Just bought a DigiMat II case (around SG$100)
    where you bought it? can show me some pic of it?

Here's a breakdown of the storage method I used when I am out shooting:

1. When I first begin digital photography, it will be 512 MB CF card + spare 128 MB CF card + X-Drive I (20 GB)

2. Later, I upgraded to X-Drive-II but realize I needed to have the ability to review what I have shot during those days when I am out shooting

3. Hence now I have upgraded to lap-top (30GB) with CD-RW drive + 2 GB CF + 512 MB CF spare + portable harddisk (20 GB) + 10 pcs 700 MB CD-R disks + iRiver H340 (40GB). These combinations allow me to shoot and listen to my iRiver at the same time and have ample storage without weighing me down. In event that I ran out of diskspace, I can easily buy CD-R and continue shooting.

Bring all memory cards + a portable harddisk.

i will bring 10 x 1gb cf.

if u lose the laptop, u lose $2000

but if u lose a cf card, u only lose $200..hehe

Quote Originally Posted by user111
    i will bring 10 x 1gb cf.

if u lose the laptop, u lose $2000

but if u lose a cf card, u only lose $200..hehe
    thought its always easier to lose something smaller ??

anyways I need an opinion here too. Got an old dud' notebook and want to take out the 8G hdd and get a casing , do you thinks it's worth it ? not much storage for photos, really, ain't it ?

8gb not much really

but the old dud notebook can keep..use it for those times when u simply want to listen to mp3 (use external speaker connect to the notebook) and play some simple pass-time computer game at same time

Quote Originally Posted by KeyserSoze
    thought its always easier to lose something smaller ??

anyways I need an opinion here too. Got an old dud' notebook and want to take out the 8G hdd and get a casing , do you thinks it's worth it ? not much storage for photos, really, ain't it ?
    Its a good idea to recycle ur old hdd... but have u ever wonder everything has its life span? ur tour of the lifetime photos can just crash with it
    Not saying old hdd will definitely crash or new ones will never crash...

cheers!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast