Thread: Help in starting a web page

Default Help in starting a web page

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of starting a webpage, but have no clue how to begin.

i was hoping to do something like

www.myname.com

any idea how to get started as well as design the whole thing?
    anyone know where i can contact freeelance web designers? - thinking of getting some help to start up 1st, and to improve and upgrade the website later myself.

any help would be appreciated!

Default Re: Help in starting a web page

Try www.wix.com. I think it's fairly easy to create one. I "designed" mine at wix too.

http://www.wix.com/junshenphoto/gallery

Hope that helps!

JS

It's free too!

Write to Cargo, which has a really easy to use content management system that is designed for creative businesses to showcase their portfolios.

Quote Originally Posted by big_lan View Post
    Hi Guys,

I am thinking of starting a webpage, but have no clue how to begin.

i was hoping to do something like

www.myname.com

any idea how to get started as well as design the whole thing?
    anyone know where i can contact freeelance web designers? - thinking of getting some help to start up 1st, and to improve and upgrade the website later myself.

any help would be appreciated!
    1. Buy a domain name - that is your www.yourname.com - google "domain name"
    2. Purchase a hosting site - this is where you put all the information like website so people can access to it. - Google "web hosting"
    3. Hire a web designer, or simply buy a template - google "website template"?

Hope that works for you.

Google is your best friend... use it.

Regards,

Hart

and if u want to save more $$$, follow what hart suggests for 1 & 2. But for 2, pay attention if the webhost is using cpanel as webhosting panel then check with webhost does it comes with fantastico... cos if it does, u can install wordpress from it easily. then find an album module to install into wordpress.

sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a few questions of my own regarding starting a webpage

I've looked at

1. www.wix.com, I love the simplicity of using the templates. And the templates look nice. but its on a subscription basis if Im going to link to my own domain. since this is likely to be an ongoing expense, this would bring my cost up.

2. zenfolio, it is quite basic and easy to use. But I prefer the look of wix. Again, this is subscription basis if Im going to link to my own domain.

3. Checked out quite a fair bit of templates, but how do you know the templates will be easy to use / work? There seems to be many types, and I just cant figure them out.

Eg, wordpress templates, are these supposed to work no matter which webhost I choose?

Can anyone point me to where you purchase your templates?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarity View Post
    sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a few questions of my own regarding starting a webpage

I've looked at

1. www.wix.com, I love the simplicity of using the templates. And the templates look nice. but its on a subscription basis if Im going to link to my own domain. since this is likely to be an ongoing expense, this would bring my cost up.

2. zenfolio, it is quite basic and easy to use. But I prefer the look of wix. Again, this is subscription basis if Im going to link to my own domain.

3. Checked out quite a fair bit of templates, but how do you know the templates will be easy to use / work? There seems to be many types, and I just cant figure them out.

Eg, wordpress templates, are these supposed to work no matter which webhost I choose?

Thanks.
    '

wow. Honestly, I think you should engage a web design company. They can help you find a host, register a domain name, etc. Your questions are so "open ended" that honestly they should be in a web design forum's newbie's corner, not necessarily here. It is very difficult to give you the handholding you seem to need via a forum.
    Alpha

Thanks.
    most webhost (as long as they supports php and offers mysql database) can support wordpress. template wise u can google for it, there is plenty, some not free though.

my website is just plain HTML. gallery wise, i found a free script to incorporate into my website.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    '

wow. Honestly, I think you should engage a web design company. They can help you find a host, register a domain name, etc. Your questions are so "open ended" that honestly they should be in a web design forum's newbie's corner, not necessarily here. It is very difficult to give you the handholding you seem to need via a forum.
    Perhaps they should be.. this is something very new to me, googling had not been very useful this time round. Web hosting companies, google gave me quite a few, had emailed them already, still waiting for replies on my newbie enquiries. they mostly include registering a domain name as well, so thats not a problem..

Generally, I need to know what to look out for when choosing a template for my site. Was hoping someone with the experience of setting up their own site could advise..

Thanks for the help anyway

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    most webhost (as long as they supports php and offers mysql database) can support wordpress. template wise u can google for it, there is plenty, some not free though.

my website is just plain HTML. gallery wise, i found a free script to incorporate into my website.
    Thanks, guess I will go back to more googling

Generally, I need to know what to look out for when choosing a template for my site. Was hoping someone with the experience of setting up their own site could advise..
    Templates normally have a sample of what they look like.... So you need to make sure that, primarily, it meets your desired look and feel.

I never use templates when I design web pages (I used to work for Macromedia), so it's hard to say which is "best".
    Alpha

To be honest, you need to read and ask questions to related template that you are interested in.

For example, wordpress and similar blog template will have FAQ that you can read.

Most website template company will allow you to build a "trial" website and test until you are happy then buy it.

It seems that you want to skim by not paying someone to do the job yet not ready to spend time ready in details on how to do it yourself. So it really asking too much...

When I start, I don't know anything, I engage the web designer

When I am more establish, I manage my own for greater flexibility

And in the process I do read tones of informations so I know what is going on... All I am trying to say is, don't expect to get things done unless you put in some hard work in it. This forum serve as your starting point and you should do your own research.

I will stay away from zenfolio, wix, as much as they look good, your clients probably won't impressed with it to start with.

Regards,

Hart

Have you tried jimdo.com? Not free either. $5 monthly fee seems reasonable to me. Worth taking a look!

JS

Quote Originally Posted by lay9eggs View Post
    Have you tried jimdo.com? Not free either. $5 monthly fee seems reasonable to me. Worth taking a look!

JS
    Thanks But I thk I prefer the template from wix ^^

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post

Hi, thanks, perhaps I might stick to a plain HTML website after all. At least thats something I can understand

I am thinking of trying Zenfolio.

Although the site is not 'entirely' design by you, but I am pretty impressed by its capabilities.

For $100 (dont know what currency) a year, is a steal. Somemore with hosting, your domain website, your domain email and sell photos.

Cool site.

http://www.photosharingreviews.com/r...s-zenfolio.php

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by hanqiang1011 View Post
    I am thinking of trying Zenfolio.

Although the site is not 'entirely' design by you, but I am pretty impressed by its capabilities.

For $100 (dont know what currency) a year, is a steal. Somemore with hosting, your domain website, your domain email and sell photos.

Cool site.

http://www.photosharingreviews.com/r...s-zenfolio.php

Cheers
    most probably USD.

Hello all.
    thanks for all the replies!

I was hoping to sell some stuff as well.

any sites that have an integrated CMS system? aka can integrate a paypal shopping cart?
    just in case i want to scale.