Thread: Filters

Default Filters

Hi all,
    I'm a newbie. I hv a Nikon D3000. From what I've read so far, it seems to be one of the worst starter kit to own but I bought it, so I'm stick with it.

I do want to know though if getting a polarizing filter will help me. I find that the colours of the pictures I take with the D3000 lacking in vibrance. Can the seniors please help me?

If it does, where can I find affordable filters?

Thanks!

Default Re: Filters

1. Post pictures with embedded EXIF information on Clubsnap so that other may assist after reading the EXIF information
    2. Polarizing filter is not a certainty in improving picture vibrancy
    3. Some post-processing may help to improve picture vibrancy

The best way to troubleshoot this situation is like what Squid mentioned. Upload an image with EXIF, It's much easier that way to find out what's the issue.

A polarizing filter may not have little or no effect under certain situations (E.g. Heavy overcasts) other than acting like a ND.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by wahlau View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm a newbie. I hv a Nikon D3000. From what I've read so far, it seems to be one of the worst starter kit to own but I bought it, so I'm stick with it.

I do want to know though if getting a polarizing filter will help me. I find that the colours of the pictures I take with the D3000 lacking in vibrance. Can the seniors please help me?

Thanks!
    DSLR results tend to be more subdued if you're used to the output from consumer P&S.

This is because more neutral results means you have greater control over the results when you post -process, which most manufacturers actually expect people to do. Because contrast, saturation are all destructive processes, it's easy to gain contrast in post, but not so easy to get back the detail that is lost as a result of over-harsh processing in-camera.

You can always up the saturation/contrast in-cam.

TS, i suggest tat u shld read up articles n guides on post processing.

do read up on how polarizing filters work as well.
    Google is your friend. Make use of it.

Thanks all for the advice. Really greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries

I recommend you take a look at this thread for more info.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...ide-to-Filters

Sometimes, playing around with the camera setting controls can get you some improvement to the vibrancy. Anyway check out Rockwell's guide on pic settings.
    This works on a D3000 as well, and I believe that is the "cheapest" alternative, learning to make use of your camera's functions.
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d30...re-control.htm
    To be old & wise, you must first be young & dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    1. Post pictures with embedded EXIF information on Clubsnap so that other may assist after reading the EXIF information
    2. Polarizing filter is not a certainty in improving picture vibrancy
    3. Some post-processing may help to improve picture vibrancy
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    The best way to troubleshoot this situation is like what Squid mentioned. Upload an image with EXIF, It's much easier that way to find out what's the issue.

A polarizing filter may not have little or no effect under certain situations (E.g. Heavy overcasts) other than acting like a ND.
    Hi all,

Thanks!
    IMHO, it's very difficult to give correct pointers/tips without proper info/details from pic/s and what could be worst if given a/the "wrong/inappropriate" pointer/s due to lack-of-information...hope you can understand...
    Last edited by blueskye168; 12th June 2011 at 11:31 AM.
    Anything that can take pictures...happy already lor...(..but...Hasselblad_H5D-50 as my Workhorse)

There's nothing other camera or filters can do to help u with this problem that u have, u need to learn how to set jpeg output settings on ur camera or learn how topmost process ur pictures, preferably shoot in RAW for more control.

Lastly, D3000 is not a bad camera..
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Blog Entries

its not about equipment its about the person using it,

and finally d3k its not the worse (i got 1 too)
    Lousy de My Flickr

What have you been reading? Discussions of gear heads and pixel peepers? Can you confirm these 'results' based on own experience or are you just happily believing what others type? Basically: in which way it is supposedly the 'worst starter kit to own'?
    EOS

Hi all,

Thanks!
    You need to love your camera first, understand your camera, take good care of your camera, it will reward you with nice photos.
    if you don't like your camera, I doubt you can create good photos with it.

2nd thing, you need to know what is good lighting, learn where to find them, and use them, if any colorful objects taken under bad lighting will not produce good colors.
    of course you can use in camera setting or photoshop or lightroom, but it will never be better if you get it right in the first place.

3rd, polarizing filter only work on certain condition, is not a filter will fix all problems.

4th, try look out good deal in mass sale section
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Thanks again to all. I'm just starting my journey so my experiences with my camera is at the ice breaking part. Still groping and trying to understand the camera. Don't worry about loving it. I take very good care of it. I'll try to read up more about photography and trawl this forum to soak up on the information and knowledge while trying out with the camera.

Signing up for membership of this forum has been the smartest move I've made.

Again, thanks!

Hi TS! Nice to meet another D3k user. After seeing lots of threads and having to experience using the D3000, it isn't a bad camera afterall.

Personally, I do sometimes feel that the colour in the photos lack vibrance. But as a new user myself, I don't know much about how to improve that situation.

But I've got a tip for you since the thread is about Filters. Over at Kampong Glam, there is a camera shop that offers $20 Multicoated UV filter(Only for students btw). The shopowner may also give a free lens cleaning. I think so far, it's the cheapest I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by EMQhamz View Post
    Hi TS! Nice to meet another D3k user. After seeing lots of threads and having to experience using the D3000, it isn't a bad camera afterall.

Personally, I do sometimes feel that the colour in the photos lack vibrance. But as a new user myself, I don't know much about how to improve that situation.

But I've got a tip for you since the thread is about Filters. Over at Kampong Glam, there is a camera shop that offers $20 Multicoated UV filter(Only for students btw). The shopowner may also give a free lens cleaning. I think so far, it's the cheapest I've ever seen.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...ghlight=filter

do not use the cheap type.

Quote Originally Posted by EMQhamz View Post
    This is intentional. Do read your manual about in-camera settings like Saturation, Contrast etc. Use the software that came with your camera to start post-processing and change the pictures according your preferences. Both comes free, only your time is required

I have another tip: read the Newbie Guide to Filters. Why putting some piece of glass of questionably source and brand on your lens, hoping that it would improve something? Cheap UV filters will only create more trouble (google for flare, ghosting..), your camera and lens were designed to work perfectly fine without any cheap glass put on. Filtering UV is redundant anyway.. but you better read the mentioned guide.
    EOS

Not sure about Nikon's default software, but Canon's DPP's export feature can get the colors back like what you saw on the camera preview by applying the picture styles + other canon camera settings, but exported as jpeg of course...
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Thanks again to all. I'm just starting my journey so my experiences with my camera is at the ice breaking part. Still groping and trying to understand the camera. Don't worry about loving it. I take very good care of it. I'll try to read up more about photography and trawl this forum to soak up on the information and knowledge while trying out with the camera.

Signing up for membership of this forum has been the smartest move I've made.

Again, thanks!
    Good, that's the way, Love to do something first will motivate u to learn more...