Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to know you're on the right track?

Quote Originally Posted by bonrya

I where got spam??
    I know, you don't know but everyone knows!

Default Re: How to know you're on the right track?

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    You are your best and worst critic. Be hard on yourself , not to the extent of making photography a chore.

How to improve - always have an open mind, and take constructive advice well. Think every comment through, and you can thank people for their well-meaning advice, but not everyone is good at giving comments. Just because someone has shot for 20 years doesn't mean that he's very good at photography. He would just have had a lot of experience with cameras.

What do you like? Where do you want to go? Why do you shoot? These are questions you have to ask yourself, and before long, if you can't be clear on all these and have to keep relying on external parties to define yourself, what you do, what you shoot, then there's something wrong. You should always feel happy to shoot, always feel happy to process, and you should never be too content with what you get.

Like it or not, photography needs an audience. You have to decide what sort of audience you want, there's the general appeal sort of photo, there's the artistic type that targets a niche audience... And of course for the "artistic" type it is easy to get confused with the arty-farty variety where only YOU and your bunch of inner circle buddies understand what's going on, and then all of you just carry out some sort of circle jerk and tell each other that you're up and coming and you will be the next photography Picasso.

At the end of the day, it's up to you. Everyone has their style of learning, everyone has their likings, and everyone is better at some things more than others.

You can try to start off by looking at what is termed as "good", and decide for yourself, which ones you like more (and you will have preferences, for sure). Then you can always begin by emulating. Read, digest, internalise, and put everything you've learnt into solid practice until it becomes a habit, so much that you don't even think - that you know what you want, roughly how to get it the moment you look at a scene, or when you're planning a themed portrait shoot, etc. Before long, the style will come, and if it doesn't, what does it matter?

This isn't really a straight answer, I suppose, but there are no straight answers for this sort of thing. Just a lot of questions, that you have to answer yourself.
    Thanks! I kinda already know which type of photos I would like to take and why i shoot, and is exploring more. To be honest, I feel a sense of exhileration everytime i see a photo and this would be heightened if I know it was taken by me. Really appreciate you taking time to write this post, I kinda know where to begin now..

Quote Originally Posted by gundamseed84 View Post
    To me the most impt thing is that you want and can manage to capture a scene beautifully, esp those pic that will form a piece of memory abt your life. If course we may not produce competition winning photos but if they put a smile in us I think it is a great way to continue in this hobby and venture into different areas of photography.

I am more of want to share pictures i took with the rest to share what are the things ard me rather than going purely into getting the perfect techniques and be praised.
    Hmm, but then sometimes getting the right techniques can put a bigger smile because you know that you have the ability to take amazing photos.

Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    Time to post more then! I didn't face this when I first joined.. Hmm maybe I forgot. Hehe
    haha, yeeeaa, just find it hard to think of something to post.. I guess it'll take awhile hahah.

Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    There's a diff uncle skystrike..1. Crys is a girl 2. A waterfall is outdoors.
    not uncle lar.....still in my 20s...
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpiece View Post
    Hmm, but then sometimes getting the right techniques can put a bigger smile because you know that you have the ability to take amazing photos.
    I kinda understand this. It will bring you more satisfaction when you capture some great images with the techniques and sorts. But don't just stop there, posting for critiques will/can also be a point to move on from your "satisfied" state. Just don't be too hurt when/if some critics post some comments, critics are there to help you.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by crystal1993

I know, you don't know but everyone knows! :bsmilie
    really?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpiece

haha, yeeeaa, just find it hard to think of something to post.. I guess it'll take awhile hahah.
    You've got 7 now! Keep posting everywhere but kopitiam and you'll get there soon! ask more questions to the seniors!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike

Uncle sounds cool. But you dun wan then nvm lor..
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    you using sigma 55-250? how is the IQ? got any photo?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpiece View Post
    Thanks! I will definitely have a look at the links you provided. Yea, i agree, I feel that shooting more gives you a larger perspective of how things can actually be. I guess I need that extra confirmation to know whether i'm on the right track.. cuz others may have a different point that I can't see that could make my pictures much better.
    haha post more than you can post your photo here for the expert to comment.

In fact, it is very fast to hit 50 one. keke

TS, u can upload your photos on flickr, then use the insert image when posting... then Csers can see yur image lor.

I am still a newbie and I don't think i am qualified to advise. However, having go through this for the past 5 months, I may be able to contribute my experiences.
    1st your equipment makes a big difference. Of course, if you go out and buy the best of everything, where is the fun and challenges? Ok, you need to read and understand some basic. Reading too much also make you confused. You won't be able to apply since you have not practice it. You need to keep shooting even the same subject till you get it right.
    Most times you can shoot alone by yourself but joining group outings are very enriching. You get to know what and how others do it. Nothing beats someone giving you a tip right there.
    Next, just post you photo ander people CC. Here is where you get free advice. Most important is that you must enjoy what you are doing!

Quote Originally Posted by lcheowl View Post
    you using sigma 55-250? how is the IQ? got any photo?
    The 55-250 i'm using is the Canon one...I don't think Sigma got this, prob you are referring to 55-200.

IQ wise, I'm not really a pixel peeper, neither am I so particular with exact colors, so IQ wise is OK for me (esp if you compare the price against L lens). I have not used a L tele lens before, so I can't make any comments in regards to comparison.

But for photos, I've sent you a PM. You can also check out my flick for more shots using this lens, but you will have to filter out the pictures as it's a combinations of all my camera + lens (that includes my Powershot A650 IS).
    Last edited by SkyStrike; 13th June 2011 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post
    1st your equipment makes a big difference. Of course, if you go out and buy the best of everything, where is the fun and challenges? Ok, you need to read and understand some basic. Reading too much also make you confused. You won't be able to apply since you have not practice it. You need to keep shooting even the same subject till you get it right.
    Just some food for thought, the equipment that we hold is only limited by what we see and what we can see (I'm also a newbie that started 6 months ago..). It is true that equipment will make a difference as in the Focal length, Bokeh and other lens quality, but many things will still depend on proper techniques of composition/colors etc to make the shot interesting/"nice".

*I don't think it will be appropriate to start a Technique vs Equipment topic here, so I'll end here, sorry if OT*

Blog Entries

just keep on shooting
    Lousy de My Flickr

Haha, many thanks guys. Really had alot of help here, very friendly people. XD I'll just keep posting and until i reach 50 posts than i'll post pics up here! XD Cant waaait!

1. upload on flickr and share with others on the internet
    2. upload on facebook and share with your friends
    3. go for the monthly pentax photo outings!

I havent done 3. but i hope to do so when i'm free.

leave your printed photos under your pillow when you sleep. when you wake up and they're replaced by a wad of cash, you know that the photography fairy likes your images.. and they must be really, really good!

if they aren't good.. well, she'll leave a pile of steaming horse manure

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    leave your printed photos under your pillow when you sleep. when you wake up and they're replaced by a wad of cash, you know that the photography fairy likes your images.. and they must be really, really good!

so you must have a lots of cash now. lol

You can also sell the manure as fertilizers too

Quote Originally Posted by lcheowl View Post
    so you must have a lots of cash now. lol
    are you begging for a flame? *FLAME ON*

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    You can also sell the manure as fertilizers too
    hahaha. i don't think it can fetch much compared to a wad of $100 bills

hahaha. i don't think it can fetch much compared to a wad of $100 bills
    I have use for manure for the rows of flowers my mother grows. But I doubt my neighbors passing by my corridor will appreciate it...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast