Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 85

Thread: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

  1. #61

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth67C View Post
    Apologies for that post. I've deleted it.
    No need for any apologies bro... We're just trying to make sure that newbies don't get the wrong definitions and concepts in their head...
    Alpha

  2. #62

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    Im thinking of getting 17-40 f4 L to replace the 17-50 f2.8 non vc. what are your views people? i mostly use the lens to take portraits on outings with my friends but also like to take landscapes of sg in some evenings.

  3. #63

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    Quote Originally Posted by gohjialong View Post
    Another thing is , if f2.8 is sharper at like f4 , then what is f4 sharpest at?

    If my situation would most likely be casual portraits on the streets or in restaurants, would 2.8 be a better choice given its ability to go for faster shutter speed at low lit areas?
    this is not a fixed number.
    i find that my 24-70mm F2.8 is sharpest at F5.6.
    every lens varies.

  4. #64
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    Quote Originally Posted by gohjialong View Post
    Im thinking of getting 17-40 f4 L to replace the 17-50 f2.8 non vc. what are your views people? i mostly use the lens to take portraits on outings with my friends but also like to take landscapes of sg in some evenings.
    My personal opinion would be to keep the 17-50/2.8
    Exploring! :)

  5. #65

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    My personal opinion would be to keep the 17-50/2.8
    i agree with ZerocoolAstra
    D90|10-24mm f3.5-4.5G|70-300mm VR f/4.5-5.6G|18-105mm VR f/3.5-5.6G|35mm f/1.8|SB700|MB-D80

  6. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth67C View Post
    Excuse me, but it IS common knowledge, so why should you suggest that I don't know what it is?
    Isn't that presumptuous on your part?
    Slight detour, nothing on subject matter.

    Your profile name is Kenneth but your gender is female !?!

  7. #67

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    Quote Originally Posted by commoner5 View Post
    Slight detour, nothing on subject matter.

    Your profile name is Kenneth but your gender is female !?!
    How did you arrive at the conclusion that Kenneth is a female? This is the internet, we can put whatever we want
    Last edited by spree86; 9th June 2011 at 06:56 PM.

  8. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    maybe the TS can specify which f2.8 and which f4 lenses he is looking at so that the rest can advise on the OoF, bokeh and lens rendering characteristics.

    Assumig you are taking outdoor xmm portraits, the 70-200 f2.8 has a versatile FL and rather good subject isolation capability.
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 9th June 2011 at 07:54 PM.

  9. #69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants
    maybe the TS can specify which f2.8 and which f4 lenses he is looking at so that the rest can advise on the OoF, bokeh and lens rendering characteristics.
    Ok since you mentioned, I actually wanted to compare the 70-200 but just wanted to ask the question in a general manner cos it suited what I want to know abt my tamron 17-50 f2.8 and canon 17-40 f4L.

  10. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    How did you arrive at the conclusion that Kenneth is a female? This is the internet, we can put whatever we want
    Reread my post 5 times.

  11. #71

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    Quote Originally Posted by commoner5 View Post
    Reread my post 5 times.
    Answer still doesn't change, why are you surprised at the male female things?

  12. #72
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Thomas More's Vision
    Posts
    627

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    if you are considering the canon 70-200 f4 or f2.8, and if you ask me, i would get the 70-200 f4 IS anyday. the zooming feels so much smoother than the f2.8 IS. and it's freaking light.

  13. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    Quote Originally Posted by gohjialong View Post
    Ok since you mentioned, I actually wanted to compare the 70-200 but just wanted to ask the question in a general manner cos it suited what I want to know abt my tamron 17-50 f2.8 and canon 17-40 f4L.
    Maybe you should take this to the Canon sub section cos there are a lot of lenses that falls into the f2.8 vs f4 , if it is not specific enough.

    I have the 70-200 f2.8 IS MkI previously and 70-200 f4 IS now. My take on zoom lens for human portraiture, get the 70-200 f2.8 IS MkII. My reason is the wider aperture allows for more creative control. Also the lens is very sharp that it allows you to crop much more than you can imagine. The MkII has a closer MFD than the MkI so you can get closer, meaning even fuzzier OoF area. I switched from f2.8 to f4 cos I needed a lighter lens for travel. While the f4 is sharp but I have never managed to isolate the subject in a manner that the f2.8 allows me to.

    If you do not mind a manual focus lens. You may want to consider a Mamiya 150/2.8 lens. This is a lens for Mamiya medium format but can be adapter to be used on Canon body. The con is that it is manual focus and aperture. The pro is that you can have a very affordable f2.8 lens for portrait. I am always using it wide open so the manual aperture does not bother me.

    cross post from alternative thread on mamiya 150/2.8
    Being a medium format lens, it has a larger image circle so the cateyes effect is less pronounce.


    the larger image circle also allows center to edge sharpness. 150mm at f2.8 has very thin DoF. The lens also renders skin colour very nicely. The book is slightly tilted. The focus is on the name "Lee Kuan Yew"


    Without going into controlled tests, this is how the 70-200f4 OoF area will look. Compare to the f2.8 above.
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 9th June 2011 at 08:29 PM.

  14. #74

    Default

    I haven got to the stage of getting a 70-200 yet but those information were very helpful so thanks guys, just wanna see your takes on those 2 aperture.

  15. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    Quote Originally Posted by gohjialong View Post
    I haven got to the stage of getting a 70-200 yet but those information were very helpful so thanks guys, just wanna see your takes on those 2 aperture.
    On the Tamron 17-50/2.8 and 17-40/4, these are completely different from the 70-200. IMO, you main consideration for the wider angle lenses should be more based on low lights capability more so than thin DoF.

  16. #76

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    Quote Originally Posted by tehzeh View Post
    if you are considering the canon 70-200 f4 or f2.8, and if you ask me, i would get the 70-200 f4 IS anyday. the zooming feels so much smoother than the f2.8 IS. and it's freaking light.
    that must depends on TS going to use it mostly in day time or night time.

    a normal people will choose F4 over F2.8 due to the weight and the cost. But if TS is doing his shoot in low light condition, then I feel a f2.8 will be a more suitable lens than a f4.

  17. #77
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by commoner5

    Slight detour, nothing on subject matter.

    Your profile name is Kenneth but your gender is female !?!
    Kei is female also.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  18. #78

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Good for you

    I would say the 2 main 'obstacles' to a large-aperture lens are bulk (weight/size) and cost. Otherwise they are generally the preferred choices, wouldn't you say so?
    I can't say because I have yet own one..haha

  19. #79

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Answer still doesn't change, why are you surprised at the male female things?
    Thanks to this kind of answers always lead closure of some very good discussion thread.
    Inferiority Complex Behavior Signature: A900.D3x.M9..I have this and that blah blah...

  20. #80

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    One very good example of a not-so-good bokeh from a prime lens will be the Canon F1.8 II.
    Inferiority Complex Behavior Signature: A900.D3x.M9..I have this and that blah blah...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •