Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 85

Thread: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

  1. #1

    Default Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    Hi guys, I'm thinking of getting a new lens but not sure whether I should spend more to get a f2.8 rather than f4. I intend to take more of portraits for that lens. Should I spend more to get the 2.8? What benefits do I have over the f4?

  2. #2
    Member Kenneth67C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Shanghai, China, China
    Posts
    1,087

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    Quite frankly, if you want to get better bokeh, go for a prime with >f2. You will be much happier with the quality of the photos.

    If you use flash/strobes and shoot at f8-f11, then save your money and get the f4.
    An artist who realizes there is a supreme force and works gladly as an apprentice under heaven.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    Quote Originally Posted by gohjialong View Post
    Hi guys, I'm thinking of getting a new lens but not sure whether I should spend more to get a f2.8 rather than f4. I intend to take more of portraits for that lens. Should I spend more to get the 2.8? What benefits do I have over the f4?
    In addition to the extra low-light ability the larger aperture will give you, most lenses are usually sharper stopped down. So an f/2.8 lens at f/4 will be sharper in most cases than an f/4 lens at f/4...
    Alpha

  4. #4

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth67C View Post
    Quite frankly, if you want to get better bokeh, go for a prime with >f2. You will be much happier with the quality of the photos.
    Nope. I've seen some very bad bokeh even from large aperture prime lenses. Remember, bokeh is a lens characteristic and dependent on lens design, lens elements and aperture blade design.
    Alpha

  5. #5
    Senior Member luckyorange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    2,843
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    hmm not sure what to get? can try a used 50mm its cheap and good =x
    Lousy de My Flickr

  6. #6

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    Quote Originally Posted by gohjialong View Post
    Hi guys, I'm thinking of getting a new lens but not sure whether I should spend more to get a f2.8 rather than f4. I intend to take more of portraits for that lens. Should I spend more to get the 2.8? What benefits do I have over the f4?
    a 2.8 lens will mostly be sharper at f4 than an f4 lens at f4
    a 2.8 lens gives u a shallower dof, for better subject isolation

  7. #7
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    The f/2.8 lens gives you the flexibility to use f/2.8 when the situation arises.

    Also, the f/2.8 lenses are usually built to be tougher, for heavier usage. For example an 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 kit lens vs a 17-55 f/2.8

    You pay significantly more, though you do get what you pay for.
    Exploring! :)

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shunfu Road, Singapore
    Posts
    2,465

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    Generally, an F2.8 lens will be bigger, heavier and more pricy than an F4 lens. Apart from shallower DOF, an F2.8 lens will provide a brighter view finder which will allow both the photographer and camera to see better and thus, take better photos. To me, this is the most important advantage.
    Home is where the heart is.

  9. #9
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Lee View Post
    Generally, an F2.8 lens will be bigger, heavier and more pricy than an F4 lens. Apart from shallower DOF, an F2.8 lens will provide a brighter view finder which will allow both the photographer and camera to see better and thus, take better photos. To me, this is the most important advantage.
    ahhh you are right on that point.
    It is beneficial for sure
    Exploring! :)

  10. #10

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth67C View Post
    Then you probably got a bad prime lens.
    No. It seems you don't know what bokeh is. Prime lens does not mean good bokeh.
    Alpha

  11. #11

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    The f/2.8 lens gives you the flexibility to use f/2.8 when the situation arises.

    Also, the f/2.8 lenses are usually built to be tougher, for heavier usage. For example an 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 kit lens vs a 17-55 f/2.8

    You pay significantly more, though you do get what you pay for.
    I see,,, need to save more $$$ for F2.8 instead F4 with VR

  12. #12
    Member Kenneth67C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Shanghai, China, China
    Posts
    1,087

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    No. It seems you don't know what bokeh is. Prime lens does not mean good bokeh.
    and you are the only one who knows, is it?
    An artist who realizes there is a supreme force and works gladly as an apprentice under heaven.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth67C View Post
    and you are the only one who knows, is it?
    no. Rashkae isn't the only one who knows.

    a lot of people know. maybe you don't know that. read your first post again

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth67C

    and you are the only one who knows, is it?
    It's actually pretty common knowledge to be honest

  15. #15
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gohjialong
    Hi guys, I'm thinking of getting a new lens but not sure whether I should spend more to get a f2.8 rather than f4. I intend to take more of portraits for that lens. Should I spend more to get the 2.8? What benefits do I have over the f4?
    Because its usually more expensive and expensive things are supposed to be better!!! if not then u can still carry it around to show off.

    But seriously ah.. If u dunno why you should get one over the other, then you don't need the other. no need to spend so much on "frills".
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  16. #16

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    Go to Canon's section google f2.8 vs f4 there's quite a few threads discussing this same issue.
    My advice is don't spend money buying if you don't know why you need the f2.8. Also having f2.8 doesn't make a lens better than say one with f4.

    One more advantage of f2.8 is of course allowing faster shutter speed to freeze motion.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth67C View Post
    and you are the only one who knows, is it?
    Nope, it's very common knowledge, well-documented in many sites across the web and is easily researched, and anyone who tries to talk about bokeh should at least know what it really means.

    Just because you don't know what it is, does not mean you need to try to defend yourself with aggression. Try to learn a bit instead.
    Alpha

  18. #18
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    Lets see if I get it correct, bokeh is not determine by whether you are using a prime lens or a zoom lens... neither was it determine by whether your lens has variable aperture or fix value aperture. It is determine by the design of the aperture blades, the number of the aperture blades.

    Prime lens are generally sharper, due not because it is prime or not, but because there are less optics in the lens, and also the control during manufacturing of these lens is easier, also it had less moving parts too... but that had absolutely no effect on the bokeh.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Lets see if I get it correct, bokeh is not determine by whether you are using a prime lens or a zoom lens... neither was it determine by whether your lens has variable aperture or fix value aperture. It is determine by the design of the aperture blades, the number of the aperture blades.

    Prime lens are generally sharper, due not because it is prime or not, but because there are less optics in the lens, and also the control during manufacturing of these lens is easier, also it had less moving parts too... but that had absolutely no effect on the bokeh.
    Correct, but also the lens elements. Some lenses have elements designed specifically for better bokeh. Bokeh is the subjective quality of blur, not the amount of blur. You can actually even get nice background blur with compact zoom cameras, and some of them have nice bokeh too!
    Alpha

  20. #20
    Member Kenneth67C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Shanghai, China, China
    Posts
    1,087

    Default Re: Why choose a f2.8 lens over f4?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Nope, it's very common knowledge, well-documented in many sites across the web and is easily researched, and anyone who tries to talk about bokeh should at least know what it really means.

    Just because you don't know what it is, does not mean you need to try to defend yourself with aggression. Try to learn a bit instead.
    Excuse me, but it IS common knowledge, so why should you suggest that I don't know what it is?
    Isn't that presumptuous on your part?
    An artist who realizes there is a supreme force and works gladly as an apprentice under heaven.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •