Thread: Getting a good Dry Case/Box/Cabinet

Cool Getting a good Dry Case/Box/Cabinet

Hi guys!

Ok I'm really new to these camera stuff. Currently have an entry-level Nikon D3000 and another 2 lenses.

I left my camera in its bag at home while I go for a long trip and when I came back there were lots of vapour on my lens. Fortunately, the body was not affected and no Fungi had grown. Without hesitation I quickly went to ask around for tips on getting a dry box.

Anyone got any recommendation for dry boxes?
    I don't really want a big one. maybe about the size of a typical camera box. My budget is about less than $50. If my budget is ridiculous, please tell me. Not very sure about prices of these stuff because I'm really new to it.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Getting a good Dry Case/Box/Cabinet

With $50 and less, dry cabinet is definitely outta ur budget. U can try dry box instead, gotta buy ur own silica gel. Funan Challenger saw it at $35(10% off member), relatively large to fit one entry and a 18-55 kit lens attached.

if u nid more space, suggest u detach and try to fit it all in. Of course, in the long run, a dry cabinet serves it purpose better.

Quote Originally Posted by EMQhamz View Post
    Hi guys!

Ok I'm really new to these camera stuff. Currently have an entry-level Nikon D3000 and another 2 lenses.

I left my camera in its bag at home while I go for a long trip and when I came back there were lots of vapour on my lens. Fortunately, the body was not affected and no Fungi had grown. Without hesitation I quickly went to ask around for tips on getting a dry box.

Anyone got any recommendation for dry boxes?
    I don't really want a big one. maybe about the size of a typical camera box. My budget is about less than $50. If my budget is ridiculous, please tell me. Not very sure about prices of these stuff because I'm really new to it.

Thanks in advance!
    Maybe you can top up to around $80 and look for a 2nd hand dry cabinet. Its a lot less hassle compared to a dry box IMO

Thanks! I'll definitely look through it!

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Maybe you can top up to around $80 and look for a 2nd hand dry cabinet. Its a lot less hassle compared to a dry box IMO
    Totally agree. Save up or top up abit more for a cabinet instead of a box. It's not that much more. Just sacrifice one taxi trip & one movie & one expensive dinner or whatever luxury stuff to buy that cabinet. It's all worth it

Blog Entries

hello ts =), D3000 is a nice cam to start with,

its better to get a dry cabinet than a dry box =x.

no need to maintain haha just set at RH 45-55% and leave it haha

hmm for your info set your dry cabinet to 45-55% and let it run for 8hr(for me) or 1day? i dont know its up to you haha once its stable u can just put everything inside and leave it haha

i know for a 30l dry box it cost $118
    Lousy de My Flickr

I didn't bother with a dry box cos
    - have to monitor it every 1-3 days. If you put too much silica, it will be too dry, too little = ineffective. That's why need to monitor.
    - Heating the silica up and/or replace the gel is very time wasting and heating it can be hazardous if not done correctly.

TS, consider getting a bigger dry cabinet to also cater for future expansion plus alot of accessories to be thrown into the cabinet. Most of the larger capacity dry cabinet comes with delivery. *cant be sure of this, I think only Digi Cabi 036 dun have free delivery, do check with the shop*

The dry cabinet is a small cost to save time and trouble in maintaining this expensive hobby...Your camera + lens is easily 7-10 times this cost of dry cabinet....not to mention that you prob will be getting more lens.
    Last edited by SkyStrike; 9th June 2011 at 09:26 AM.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

I bought my dry cabinet at cathay photo at $108, its the smallest one. very useful! Not sure now is it the same price.
    I dont think that a dry box is worth it, with the effort, in long run you may spend more to maintain it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by technoglitz87 View Post
    With $50 and less, dry cabinet is definitely outta ur budget. U can try dry box instead, gotta buy ur own silica gel. Funan Challenger saw it at $35(10% off member), relatively large to fit one entry and a 18-55 kit lens attached.

if u nid more space, suggest u detach and try to fit it all in. Of course, in the long run, a dry cabinet serves it purpose better.
    Brand new dry box is selling at TK for $22. comes with first round of silica gel.

But do consider a dry cab instead. Save for a few meals, splurge a little less and you will have enough for a dry cab.

Thanks guys!

Dry Box can fit a lot of things for example mine can fit body with 5 lens good enuf but silica must keep change
    Canon 5D mk III,Canon f2.8 L USM,Canon 24-70 f2.8 L USM

Get a dry cabinet. Dry box basically, like what other says, is difficult to control the dryness. You don't want it to be too dry (damage the rubber parts on your cam and lens).

A good dry cabinet cost slight above $100 (i think, couldn't remember).

I also suggest to get a dry cabinet. Good in long term usage, specially if you not use it every week...

A dry cabinet is definitely easier in the long run so do try to save a bit more for one. Try to pick out one that will fit your current needs and have a bit of room for "future" growth.

I got a 2nd analog dry cabinet but I just couldn't get e level to 55%. Can anyone advise how to do it?

Do you mean it's currently, like let's say 54% or 56%?
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Hey guys , any dry cab can le ah ? Or need specific types ?

Quote Originally Posted by AkemiOgre View Post
    Hey guys , any dry cab can le ah ? Or need specific types ?
    Any will do, unless you have special reasons to keep it at a specific humidity level (e.g. die die must be 45% or watever figure). For mine it will hover between 40-44%.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike

Any will do, unless you have special reasons to keep it at a specific humidity level (e.g. die die must be 45% or watever figure). For mine it will hover between 40-44%.
    Thankyou !