Thread: HDR with very large exposure range

Default HDR with very large exposure range

I took 3 different exposure pictures from lowly lit indoor facing the brightly lit outdoor. However, when I generate a HDR image with Photomatix the sky has gray patches. Is it the cause of too large difference between the bright sky and dim indoor? What can I do about this?
    Last edited by Jeronleow; 8th June 2011 at 04:34 PM.
    Canon EOS 40D, EF-S 17-85mm F4-5.6 IS USM, pending BG-E2N grip and Speedlite 580EX-II flash

Default Re: HDR with very large exposure range

How many stops apart were your shots? I think you went to far so the grey patches start to appear. Typically, I shoot 1 stop apart.

For example, If I need to get -3 to +2 stops of exposure. I will shoot 6 separate shots instead of three; -3, -2, -1, 0, +1, +2. Instead of something like -2, 0, +2.

so you do not make use of auto bracketing? u shooting on tripod?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeronleow View Post
    I took 3 different exposure pictures from lowly lit indoor facing the brightly lit outdoor. However, when I generate a HDR image with Photomatix the sky has gray patches. Is it the cause of too large difference between th bright sky and dim indoor? What can I do about this?
    I think you are doing over-aggressive tone mapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeronleow View Post
    I took 3 different exposure pictures from lowly lit indoor facing the brightly lit outdoor. However, when I generate a HDR image with Photomatix the sky has gray patches. Is it the cause of too large difference between the bright sky and dim indoor? What can I do about this?
    What was your bracket difference? Care to post the HDR photo?

Woah, there should a delicated thread for HDR. Keen in exchanging pointers with the experts here :P
    Last edited by kineticworks; 26th June 2011 at 01:28 PM.