View Poll Results: Do you shoot with a lens hood?

Voters
222. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always! Without fail. Take no chances.

111 50.00%
  • Never! Why bother?

26 11.71%
  • Sometimes! Depends on the weather and whether I forgot to bring it!

79 35.59%
  • What's a hood? (don't whack me for saying this! Kenna Hood - ah !)

6 2.70%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Do you shoot with a hood?

Default Re: Do you shoot with a hood?

Oh yes carrying a hood can be a problem. For standard lens to telephoto I used Heliopan metal hood bought from Fotographix at Lucky China Town. The beauty of these hoods are they are straight short hood. Being straight therefore u can use back the original lens cap onto the hood. The Heliopan hood comes in short tele and long tele type but I always use the short tele type regardless of lens as the final package is less bulky.

However hoods for wide angles is really a problem. I have 2 Hama wide angle hoods which are nicely made with hood cap and good for wide angle without vignetting up to 25mm. Small overall size also but unfortunately I think Hama is not making these type of hood anymore, or at least I cannot locate them nowadays.

Another possibility is to improvise. Use appropriate step-up ring, and then get the right size old cheap filter and take away the glass, and then use them as a hood!

There is no right or wrong as black and white, but shades of grey in monochrome. Color is more complicated.

On my 80-200F2.8, I always put the hood on so that the lens is LONGER - to use my left palm to hold the hood to shoot - to be able to shoot at a slower shutter speed. This is a different reason for using the hood. Din have the luxury of VR or AS.

This argument of the hood crops up from time to time, just like the use of protective filter either the skylight or UV type to protect the front end of the lens.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

What's a lens hood for?

1. To reduce or eliminate flare so you get pictures with better contrast.
    2. To protect the lens from severe damage when it hits something hard or dropped to the floor.

Think about it. Every reputable lens manufacturer either bundle the lens hood with your lens purchase or give you the option to buy it separately. Every lens hood is made for the above purpose. The pro lenses like the Canon L lens will always come with a hood because the it is likely the pro will demand and use it because of it's benefits.

Just like a safety helmet or safety belt, its up to you to wear it or not. But you must at least know what you're giving up if you don't use it.

I did not buy the hood for some of my lenses..

But I do have one for my canon 135f2L & sigma lenses.

Will try to put the hood on sometimes, but when I m using a polariser, I find it very difficult to work with a hood (the hood for the 135f2L is quite long leh) as it'll be quite hard to turn the ring with the hood on. I'll choose to shoot without one when using polariser.. guess I m also consider an idiot when I do so
    Last edited by Kongo; 7th September 2005 at 10:09 PM.

i dont like to use petal hoods because they look messy.
    but cylindrical hoods i dont mind
    for events hoods waste time
    for leisure, hoods are optional

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG
    Always put on the hood ... to make the lens look BIG ...
    Seriously, that's exactly why I use hood all the time. So that people will think my lens is "very big". And people will always think a person with "big lens" = "good photographer".

Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman
    So that people will think my lens is "very big". And people will always think a person with "big lens" = "good photographer".

lol .... if i meet u, i think u r been kiasuism lor . hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by 2hwang
    Wow, 53% said they always use hood...I am surprised.

I would have thought the majority would be sometime yes.. sometime no.. depending.....

I am an idiot too if that's defined by some early writer.

There is no need if I am taking social pictures, just imagine puting on the 24-70 f2.8L big hood and walk the whole afternoon...but if u are a pros and that is quite a different story.

So...taking all 100% shots with the hood is also an idiot....

A technical answer is yes but my answer to the survey is sometime..depending...
    Actually, I use the hood 99% of the time with my 24-70 2.8L. Of course, guarding against flare is important, but it is also very handy for protecting the front end of the lens from hitting things. A cracked plastic hood cost $ to replace, a dented front will be $$$ to repair. I have hoods for all my lens, and as a hibit, I shoot with them 99% of the time. If I don't, I must have left it in the other camera bag or I am using a polarizer
    Last edited by Deadpoet; 12th September 2005 at 02:13 PM.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Seriously, that's exactly why I use hood all the time. So that people will think my lens is "very big". And people will always think a person with "big lens" = "good photographer".

actually, I have worked with a pro model, whom I had shot many times, she confessed to me one day that she is much more "into" the shoot when I use my large set up (20D with verticle grip and 70-200 2.8L) I asked why, and she just replied, "... bigger is always better ..." oh well, I am not going to argue
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

use hood becos need to protect my lens from hitting sharp corners.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

I put a hood on all the time coz it came with it so might as well use it And it looks good on a PS cam hee

Quote Originally Posted by gernie
    lol .... if i meet u, i think u r been kiasuism lor . hahahahaha
    Kiasu'ism or not, that is the reality of life. As has been discussed many times before, people (especially people paying you to shoot) will ALWAYS judge you based on what gear you own, or even better, what your gear *looks like*.

That's another reason why many people also buy vertical grips for their cameras. Sure the extra portrait shutter button and extended power mileage matter, but you can't deny that bolting one of those things to your SLR would make it look more "pro", doesn't it?
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Kiasu'ism or not, that is the reality of life. As has been discussed many times before, people (especially people paying you to shoot) will ALWAYS judge you based on what gear you own, or even better, what your gear *looks like*.

That's another reason why many people also buy vertical grips for their cameras. Sure the extra portrait shutter button and extended power mileage matter, but you can't deny that bolting one of those things to your SLR would make it look more "pro", doesn't it?
    The size and bulk of your equipments is really a form of showmanship. Like how you choose to dress in various occassion, it leaves impact in people. This is something which people seldom discuss but sadly, a fact. However, i guess being a photographer, we have to be mindful and not be sucked into thinking that equipments are the only way to go. If you always produce sucky images, your clients will leave you some day when they meet someone better.

I personally feel that the best bet is to work on producing tasteful images first. However, the key is to balance.

Yap, its so true. Unless the photographer is so d**n famous then maybe he can even use a p&s to shoot a wedding/ fashion/event etc, but just how many couples/clients will want to pay hi-price for that?

Nothing wrong with wanting to make your cam looks better or "pro", e.g buying car kit, changing rims...

Why does pro nowadays uses D2x, 1ds markII, f2.8 lenses etc? Well stick to using a D50, 350D or E300 and consumer lenses for their clients (who is paying big $$) instead.

Quote Originally Posted by hotgraphy
    Yap, its so true. Unless the photographer is so d**n famous then maybe he can even use a p&s to shoot a wedding/ fashion/event etc, but just how many couples/clients will want to pay hi-price for that?

Nothing wrong with wanting to make your cam looks better or "pro", e.g buying car kit, changing rims...

Why does pro nowadays uses D2x, 1ds markII, f2.8 lenses etc? Well stick to using a D50, 350D or E300 and consumer lenses for their clients (who is paying big $$) instead.

The problem with humans is ego... "if my gear is pro-level, then I must be a pro, or ppl will assume I am a pro even though I may not be one." Why is there a need to feel good on the day of the shooting and then panick when you cannot deliver? Frankly speaking, a 350D, D70 or even a small p&s can be classified pro if a professional is using it, unless you are trying to say, he's too good for the gear or the gear is not good enough for him. Does a top chef using a cheapo frying pan mean that the frying pan ain pro enough for him?? A wok will always remain a wok. The only difference is what one can produce using it. Same goes for a camera

Anyway, i think this poll is redundant. Who cares if you use a hood or not. It's like asking, is digital or film better. There will always be two sides to a coin..To each his own

Quote Originally Posted by tan131
    The problem with humans is ego... "if my gear is pro-level, then I must be a pro, or ppl will assume I am a pro even though I may not be one." Why is there a need to feel good on the day of the shooting and then panick when you cannot deliver? Frankly speaking, a 350D, D70 or even a small p&s can be classified pro if a professional is using it, unless you are trying to say, he's too good for the gear or the gear is not good enough for him. Does a top chef using a cheapo frying pan mean that the frying pan ain pro enough for him?? A wok will always remain a wok. The only difference is what one can produce using it. Same goes for a camera

Anyway, i think this poll is redundant. Who cares if you use a hood or not. It's like asking, is digital or film better. There will always be two sides to a coin..To each his own
    Nothing wrong with the ego thingy, we all strive to have the best if not better living standards. I do not think one will feel good on the actual day and panick afterwards, Unless the photographer just bought the stuff the day before.

Blog Entries

normally i don't use a hood, unless the lighting situation call for one.

but for WA lenses need it more, my 17mm has a fixed metal hood.

but if you know how to control the flare it can be part of the composition.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    normally i don't use a hood, unless the lighting situation call for one.

but for WA lenses need it more, my 17mm has a fixed metal hood.

but if you know how to control the flare it can be part of the composition.
    totally agree with you. I think a good photographer have to learn to decide when to use a len hood and when not to. The key objective is to control lighting qualities. I would definately allow abit of flare for certain pictures in my fashion shot.. It's so sexy when use appropriately.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234