Thread: [Advice] Recommend me a camera for my trip

Default [Advice] Recommend me a camera for my trip

Looking for to my first trip in two years. As i'll be concentrating on my camcorder, i wont be looking at heavy camera. My main aim is to take better quality image, better sunrise/sunrise, nightshoot than my current sony tx1 compact.

I dun intend to use much after this trip and definitely wont invest in extra accessories including lens.

I'm deciding on Olympus E-PL 1 due to ite relative cheaper price (lower 700).
    Whats your advice?

btw, i did my research mainly on snapsort
    http://snapsort.com/compare/Olympus-...mpus_PEN_E-PL1
    http://snapsort.com/compare/Olympus_..._Lumix_DMC-LX5

Also, i brought a sony 230 but sold already shorthly becos my trip is cancel, therefore my camera is only for my trip.

thanks
    Last edited by khhome06; 7th June 2011 at 08:45 PM.

Maybe its better for you to rent or borrow from close relatives/friends, since your usage will be low..

Default Re: [Advice] Recommend me a camera for my trip

Better pictures do not automatically come with a new camera. Have you spend some time reading about composition, exposure and similar things? Knowing how to manage a camera helps more than getting a new one.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Better pictures do not automatically come with a new camera. Have you spend some time reading about composition, exposure and similar things? Knowing how to manage a camera helps more than getting a new one.
    I don't think that is what TS meant. I think he just wants a camera that has better quality, noise control etc.?

As he said "My main aim is to take better quality image, better sunrise/sunrise, nightshoot than my current sony tx1 compact."

From the nightshoot i would assume he meant by noise control and not composition etc. You know, more technical stuff?

Just rent a camera. Much better than this "buy then resell" strategy.
    Alpha

the word "better" really makes it subjective....Not sure if he's referring to IQ wise or Composition.....depending on the answer, TS may not even need to spend $ on. If IQ is of concern and on budget. with my limited knowledge/understanding, any entry lvl dslr / slt/ micro4/3 will do since for the shots he's referring to won't require high ISO.

@TS, if you are going to read reviews and tech specs, read it up on DPreview, the-digital-picture, photo.net. At the very least, they give more than tech specs. AFAIK, during my search for my first DSLR, snapsort is pretty misleading in many ways.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by crystal1993 View Post
    I don't think that is what TS meant. I think he just wants a camera that has better quality, noise control etc.?
    As he said "My main aim is to take better quality image, better sunrise/sunrise, nightshoot than my current sony tx1 compact."
    From the nightshoot i would assume he meant by noise control and not composition etc. You know, more technical stuff?
    I know what you mean.. but I have seen such 'blur' statements many times and finally after some further questioning it was partially the composition and some post-processing that was needed to get the results. No new camera was needed. It's really very subjective what is meant with "better" .. so let's be sure what TS means.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by khhome06 View Post
    Looking for to my first trip in two years. As i'll be concentrating on my camcorder, i wont be looking at heavy camera. My main aim is to take better quality image, better sunrise/sunrise, nightshoot than my current sony tx1 compact.

I dun intend to use much after this trip and definitely wont invest in extra accessories including lens.

I'm deciding on Olympus E-PL 1 due to ite relative cheaper price (lower 700).
    Whats your advice?

btw, i did my research mainly on snapsort
    http://snapsort.com/compare/Olympus-...mpus_PEN_E-PL1
    http://snapsort.com/compare/Olympus_..._Lumix_DMC-LX5

Also, i brought a sony 230 but sold already shorthly becos my trip is cancel, therefore my camera is only for my trip.

thanks
    sell your TX1 and get any high-end compacts.

look at the Panasonic LX5, Sony TX9 or WX7. or the Canon S95

Thanks everyone and I'm sorry to let most guessing.

To go in detail, I actually brought a Sony a230 (beginner model) last year and start using (together with studying).
    However the main reason i buy is because of my trip; when i know its cancel (postpone), i sell to my friend.

This time round, having a confirmed trip, i'm back again; because my humble Sony tx1 cannot take good night shoot (alot of noise, i cant see my subject),
    i need a better camera. (not the best, just better)

I actually prefer and look into renting but find it too expensive and only provide dslr models. Few quote online , cheapest model starts at s$25 per day, second day onward starts round $30; I'm going for a week, which will cost me at least s$200. If anyone knows of a better shop, kindly inform me, thanks!

If renting is not an option, i've like to choose between LX5, FX550 and E-PL 1. (if got shop that can rent LX5, i do like to consider)

Oh also, my term
    "better" - mean good IQ and better manual control (compare to tx1)
    "nightshoot" - mean good noise control and exposure (of course must be able to see my subject)
    Last edited by khhome06; 8th June 2011 at 08:36 AM.

I have the EP-L1, it is a great little gem... took very sharp pics. But if it was noise control, it had a much smaller sensor as compared to the APS-C, I don't think it will give you excellent noise control if you step up the ISO pass 400 (I seldom... infact have never done it before).

I would however agreed with others too. Since you are not going to use it much after this trip, might as well rent it for the trip rather than buy... then later sell.

Depends on whether you want a compact camera with fixed lens or compact camera with interchangable lenses. Also I guess your budget will not be high also since your camera usage will be low.

Interchangable lenses (yet compact) systems : Olympus Pen, Samsung NX, Sony NEX (I might opt for this), Panasonic GF series.

Point and Shoot cameras: I would choose those with full manual controls instead of camera doing everything automaically (of course that is if you know the basic skills/knowledge on photography). So far the canon s95 seems to be one of the top models for PnS but comes with a certain price.

since u concentrating on ur camcorder, having a small, light and compact cam is ideal..

i second to S95..
    its very compact and have good IQ too.. great for travel..
    ~PeaceNoWar~

I have a lx5. It's acceptable. Have you tried the oly xz-1? Try out the s95 too!

Thanks everyone and I'm sorry to let most guessing.

To go in detail, I actually brought a Sony a230 (beginner model) last year and start using (together with studying).
    However the main reason i buy is because of my trip; when i know its cancel (postpone), i sell to my friend.

This time round, having a confirmed trip, i'm back again; because my humble Sony tx1 cannot take good night shoot (alot of noise, i cant see my subject),
    i need a better camera. (not the best, just better)

I actually prefer and look into renting but find it too expensive and only provide dslr models. Few quote online , cheapest model starts at s$25 per day, second day onward starts round $30; I'm going for a week, which will cost me at least s$200. If anyone knows of a better shop, kindly inform me, thanks!

If renting is not an option, i've like to choose between LX5, FX550 and E-PL 1. (if got shop that can rent LX5, i do like to consider)

Oh also, my term
    "better" - mean good IQ and better manual control (compare to tx1)
    "nightshoot" - mean good noise control and exposure (of course must be able to see my subject)
    "Better" - Like others mentioned, S95 is a good recommendation. You can read up on DPreview on the specifics (esp rgds the noise control)
    "Nightshot" - Assuming S95, If you are taking portraits, with flash, I don't see an issue, I've tried w/o flash with just a couple of street lamppost @ 1600, if you don't zoom to 100%, it's still decent.

As a side note: If you are going to Buy a camera for a trip and sell it immediately after the trip, don't bother with a DSLR. If you insist on a DSLR, renting one is still the best option IMO.
    Last edited by SkyStrike; 8th June 2011 at 10:23 AM.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

I have the Sony Nex 3, good for travel shots. Or you can consider the Olympus xz-1. It's f1.8 lens seems wide enough for night shots

For renting, it really depends on how long is your trip. If it's a short one (3 ~ 7 days), it's still ok, if longer, it might eat into ur pocket as buying and resell within short period of time might be a cheaper option.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

a basic modelfor renting say $25 per day x 8 easily hit above 200.
    consider say i buy s95, for 660, 2 weeks after i return, i sell for 500, still cheaper than renting.

I have not try xz-1 but i try s95, really compact and photo quality goods; but price wise, i think abit high consider its pns.
    Last edited by khhome06; 8th June 2011 at 10:59 PM.

Random thought: Buy a mint copy of Fujifilm x100 say around $1600 - $1650. Then after your trip can sell at $1500 I believe people might be still attracted to this price. Then you lost $100 - 150 which is cheaper than renting since you said the amt is $200.

X100 has good high ISO performance and it is compact!

a basic modelfor renting say $25 per day x 8 easily hit above 200.
    consider say i buy s95, for 660, 2 weeks after i return, i sell for 500, still cheaper than renting.

I have not try xz-1 but i try s95, really compact and photo quality goods; but price wise, i think abit high consider its pns.
    even before you've gone for your trip, you're already frustrating yourself over what to get.

if light is your choice, get the A33 or A55 and be done with it. bigger sensor than M4/3, yet about the same weight.

who cares what others say right? if what you want is good image quality and portability, you got your answer