Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G or AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G help need!!!

  1. #1
    Member jas1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Singapore / Little Red Dot
    Posts
    475

    Default AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G or AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G help need!!!

    Hi,

    i am a newbie in photography and also in cs..

    i really dun know which one of the following lens to start with?

    The AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G or AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G.

    Both lens sound really good in the review.. and is also recommend for newbie like me.

    can any senior please help.. and guide me along ..

    i already have the 18-55mm kit lens and the 55-200mm..

    i am using a Nikon d5000 ..

    Many Thanks in advance..

  2. #2
    Senior Member luckyorange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    2,843
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G or AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G help need!!!

    hello Ts, welcome to cs, hmm which 1 to choose its really up to you, if you like shooting landscape than 35mm because its not so tight as compare to 50mm, and of cos 50mm can take landscape, so its really up to you to see which 1 u prefer =),

    hmm but why not try shooting with 18-55 1st? im sure kit lens can cover your need, 18-55 got both 35 and 50mm =x.. its different case if you wan bokeh
    Last edited by luckyorange; 7th June 2011 at 03:23 PM.
    Lousy de My Flickr

  3. #3
    Senior Member luna_sea83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    1,294

    Default Re: AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G or AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G help need!!!

    Seriously, it all depends on the focal length you need more.

    Try it out with your kit lens at 35 and 50mm, see which you prefer more.

  4. #4
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G or AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G help need!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by jas1984 View Post
    Hi,

    i am a newbie in photography and also in cs..

    i really dun know which one of the following lens to start with?

    The AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G or AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G.

    Both lens sound really good in the review.. and is also recommend for newbie like me.

    can any senior please help.. and guide me along ..

    i already have the 18-55mm kit lens and the 55-200mm..

    i am using a Nikon d5000 ..

    Many Thanks in advance..
    Your 18-55 lens covers both the 35 and 50mm focal lengths.
    What is it about your kit lens that dissatisfies you or makes you feel you need another lens?
    Exploring! :)

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,700

    Default Re: AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G or AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G help need!!!

    i agreed with the rest that your 18-55 lens covers both the focal lengths that you are looking for.
    wondering why the need for a prime lens ?

    for me, i got the 50mm . . . common item for many.
    Shot more cos digital is FREE !!!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang, Singapore, Sing
    Posts
    453

    Default Re: AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G or AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G help need!!!

    I found the 35mm 1.8 to be more flexible as I found the 50mm 1.8 too tight

    i can always take one step forward on the 35mm if i need too but sometimes you cant step back if there is no space specially when taking group shots indoors
    D3100

  7. #7
    Member crystal1993's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Japan, Tokyo
    Posts
    1,049

    Default Re: AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G or AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G help need!!!

    35mm on crop is 56.
    50mm on crop is 80.

    See which focal length you want.

  8. #8
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G or AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G help need!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by crystal1993 View Post
    35mm on crop is 56.
    50mm on crop is 80.

    See which focal length you want.
    For Nikon it's 52.5 and 75
    Exploring! :)

  9. #9
    Member jas1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Singapore / Little Red Dot
    Posts
    475

    Default Re: AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G or AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G help need!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by luckyorange View Post
    hello Ts, welcome to cs, hmm which 1 to choose its really up to you, if you like shooting landscape than 35mm because its not so tight as compare to 50mm, and of cos 50mm can take landscape, so its really up to you to see which 1 u prefer =),

    hmm but why not try shooting with 18-55 1st? im sure kit lens can cover your need, 18-55 got both 35 and 50mm =x.. its different case if you wan bokeh
    Oh.. thanks.. ya i am looking into the both lens because of bokeh.. haha
    i am also looking at sigma 30mm but too expensive. haiz..

    i suppose to buy the 35mm but heard that the 50mm is cheaper so make me think again...
    many thanks

  10. #10
    Member crystal1993's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Japan, Tokyo
    Posts
    1,049

    Default Re: AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G or AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G help need!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    For Nikon it's 52.5 and 75
    Oops. Thanks for the correction. Was using the canon 1.6 crop. But oh well all aga aga there bah.

  11. #11
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G or AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G help need!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by crystal1993 View Post
    Oops. Thanks for the correction. Was using the canon 1.6 crop. But oh well all aga aga there bah.
    yeah lor few mm no difference at such range... only makes big difference at UWA end...
    Exploring! :)

  12. #12
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G or AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G help need!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by jas1984 View Post
    Oh.. thanks.. ya i am looking into the both lens because of bokeh.. haha
    i am also looking at sigma 30mm but too expensive. haiz..

    i suppose to buy the 35mm but heard that the 50mm is cheaper so make me think again...
    many thanks
    Common advice is to use kit lens at 35 and 50mm first, and see how you find either focal length. See which gives you comfortable working distance.
    I personally found 50 (on DX) too tight on numerous occasions.
    Exploring! :)

  13. #13
    Member jas1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Singapore / Little Red Dot
    Posts
    475

    Default Re: AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G or AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G help need!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Common advice is to use kit lens at 35 and 50mm first, and see how you find either focal length. See which gives you comfortable working distance.
    I personally found 50 (on DX) too tight on numerous occasions.
    oh .. thanks for the advice.. i will go back and try..
    thanks..

  14. #14
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G or AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G help need!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by jas1984 View Post
    Oh.. thanks.. ya i am looking into the both lens because of bokeh.. haha
    i am also looking at sigma 30mm but too expensive. haiz..

    i suppose to buy the 35mm but heard that the 50mm is cheaper so make me think again...
    many thanks
    If you want a thin DoF to shoot portraits, then just go for the 50mm.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default Re: AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G or AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G help need!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    If you want a thin DoF to shoot portraits, then just go for the 50mm.
    agree with this. I sold my 35mm after trying a 50mm F/1.8. I'm on cropped sensor btw.

  16. #16
    Member jas1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Singapore / Little Red Dot
    Posts
    475

    Default Re: AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G or AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G help need!!!

    [QUOTE=Cowseye;7246822]agree with this. I sold my 35mm after trying a 50mm F/1.8. I'm on cropped sensor btw.[/QUOTE
    Oh.. hi so you have try the new 50mm f1.8g..
    is it much better??? then the 35mm f1.8??

  17. #17

    Default Re: AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G or AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G help need!!!

    been stuck in the same dilemma myself. From what I have read so far(and has been mentioned here as well) 50mm is too tight (sometimes) on cropped sensor. I personally am leaning towards 35mm.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    Err, I dun have the G lens, I only got the D lens.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  19. #19
    Member jas1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Singapore / Little Red Dot
    Posts
    475

    Default Re: AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G or AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G help need!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    Err, I dun have the G lens, I only got the D lens.
    Oh ok... do anyone in this forum own the new nikon af-s 50mm f/1.8g?

    please kindly share your point of view and how you find the lens..

    many thanks in advance... have a nice day ahead....

  20. #20
    Member jas1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Singapore / Little Red Dot
    Posts
    475

    Default Re: AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G or AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G help need!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by snapcroc View Post
    been stuck in the same dilemma myself. From what I have read so far(and has been mentioned here as well) 50mm is too tight (sometimes) on cropped sensor. I personally am leaning towards 35mm.
    So have you try the 35mm? does it give good bokeh??


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •