Thread: Any advice for Perth?

Default Any advice for Perth?

My wife and I , together with our 8 month old (by then) daughter intend to travel down to Perth for a short vacation this coming December. Any suggestions from those who have travelled with small children and have been to Perth?

In terms of photography, any locations that is worth a trip to?

Thank you

Default Re: Any advice for Perth?

Went to perth last year together with friends. A short farm stay + a tour around the city would be really nice. I have written a a brief travelogue:
    [jjynwa] Western Australia, Perth. Hope it helps.

Great log...thank you for providing a more in-depth "tour" of Perth.

Blog Entries

i will be going to perth in Nov 2011 any other advice?
    do i need to get an international driving license to rent a car there?

Nope, no need international driving license
    Check http://www.drivenow.com.au or http://www.vroomvroomvroom.com.au for deals or comparison between rental companies
    If you're moving out, heading down south is preferred, plenty of stops, shorter drives
    -------------------------------
    Endure. In enduring grow strong.

Perth in December is ..well.. super hot!! Anyway, photographically, go to the beach, it's on the West, and get that beautiful unhindered sunset. Go to a pier, wait for low sun, get some long exposure, HDR etc etc.. many possibilities.

Blog Entries

thanks, i am thinking of driving from perth to the pinnacles and back, going in mid november, hope to catch the sunset there

Heh if you're going to the pinnacles, can ask zoossh, I did before I went!
    I think it's doable, but it's going to be 3.5hr drive from Perth
    We always make it a point not to drive during dusk to avoid ... marsupials
    Your other option is to stay over at Jurien Bay, it's a small township, not many housing options but good enough for the night

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zichar View Post
    Heh if you're going to the pinnacles, can ask zoossh, I did before I went!
    I think it's doable, but it's going to be 3.5hr drive from Perth
    We always make it a point not to drive during dusk to avoid ... marsupials
    Your other option is to stay over at Jurien Bay, it's a small township, not many housing options but good enough for the night
    what route did you take?
    I want to see the wild flower fields along the way
    i plan a slow drive starting in the morning, stopping along the way for lunch and reaching the pinnacles around 3-4pm

That would be the Indian Ocean Drive now
    Back when I was there it wasn't open just yet, unfortunately... almost got trapped:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...ustralia/page2
    Was still being 'scaped since it was just been built, not sure whether you'll get much wildflowers; it's after all a coastal road
    The wildflower region would be much further up, the 3 Ms of Mullewa, Moora and Mingenew

The visitor facility/discovery center closes at 430pm if I'm not mistaken
    Regrettably, I only had ~ten minutes in before they closed up for the day
    Lots of geological explanations if you're into that kinda thing, but the history of the place along with theories why/how the spires are formed proved to be an interesting read

u can go to Burnburry..busselton...there are few of nice plan on south area (3-4hr drive). there is a dolphin attraction in there
    caversham park is a nice wild park as well..if u dnt mind to drive about 6-7 hours...u can go to Albany...

you can refer to link below
    http://www.westernaustralia.com/sg/P...Australia.aspx

have a nice holiday dude....

You can get a view of the city from King's Park. Lancelin and Rottnest Island looks pretty amazing as well. If you're heading south, don't miss Magaret River for local wine and cheese. Fremantle is awesome for escaping the summer heat and fish and chips!

Hope you guys enjoy yourself in Perth.

Have a nice holiday!
    December should be beautiful and warm.
    I've been to Perth many times but not with little children.

I always enjoying to Kings Park, not only for the night view and day view of Perth City and the swan river), but also to roll down the hills.
    The Belltower (Swan Bells) was erected as a tourist attraction, but it only takes less than a minute to walk around it. Then you could get on the ferry and go across the river to South Perth. When you're in South Perth, you could go to the zoo, if that's your thing.... but Singapore's zoo is probably more exciting

There's some nice parks and areas to walk, like Claisebrook cove in East Perth
    http://www.perthwalkabout.com/compon...ast-perth.html

Leederville, Northbridge and Subiaco can get a bit rowdy if you go out super late on Friday and Saturday night, but if you go during the day, or early evening/early night, then it should be ok
    That's where many young people go to get drunk and deafen themselves.

Swan Valley isn't too far away, there's also the 'chocolate factory' there. You can try chocolate samples in the bowl (white, dark, milk) - but not for piling in your pockets and walking out.

Down the road from there, there's Yahava, like a coffee place, people who like coffee can enjoy it. You can try different coffees. Also a few wineries around the area. There's also a house a few roads down that sells Honey and honey products. The people in there are nice and kindly explain about their bees (they've got a bit of a hive there too, where you can see the bees at work, through the glass). My mum likes to get honey from there. You can take photographs of vineyards, because there's lots around that area. There's also a nougat factory.

If you want to see lots of asian people, go to those suburbs which are south of the river. That's where those asian people congregate and have many of their asian groceries etc. I'm sure you see lots of these people back home already.

Walking around the city, I think you can see most of the city in a day. Nothing much to shop, but there's shops on Murray street mall and Hay street mall if that interests you. There's usually street performers busking during the day as well.

There's a few places for fish and chips at Fremantle. If you work your way along, you can try Joe's Fish Shack, Cicerellos, Kailis, Sweet Lips etc. I've tried 3 of them in a day before (one after another) for comparison. I found Kailis to be the best, but I think it depends on you. Maybe you can try them all and see which one you prefer. Cicerellos is very popular among the asian population, I think it's run by asian people, and most of the workers there are from asialand. So you can feel at home, if you want to travel out to Australia and feel as if you're back in asialand. While at Fremantle, you could wander through the Markets (which is open on the weekend), or take a tour of the Fremantle Prison.

Since you're coming in December, you can also go to the beaches. Cottesloe is nice and popular. I like this one because you can see the Indiana Tea house sitting next to the beach. Don't go to Swanbourne beach unless you want to take all your clothes off.

Have fun.
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

Blog Entries

thanks for all the input, time to do more research

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    what route did you take?
    I want to see the wild flower fields along the way
    i plan a slow drive starting in the morning, stopping along the way for lunch and reaching the pinnacles around 3-4pm
    Some places you could stop by on the way to the Pinnacles include Yanchep, Cervantes and Lancelin.
    You can play on the sanddunes in Lancelin! Be careful about dropping things in the sand though, can be easily lost.
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

You should go to the Pinnacles...The rocks there are already not as majestic as before due to erosion so if you don't go now you might not see the rocks in a few years time. Lol.

Some family friends actually drove us down to York (it's out of Perth) to see stardust when I went to Perth in 2008. Not sure if you'll have the time or resources to do that but to lie on a field in darkness looking at nothing but stars and more stars is quite an amazing experience. And if you have the right equipment, I'd expect some really nice photos