Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: 17-55 or 24-70

  1. #1

    Default 17-55 or 24-70

    hi,

    i have a dx camera and want to get your opinion on these two lenses to cover the wide end of the spectrum. i have a budget of 2k so the options i am looking at are

    nikon 17-55 mm OR sigma 24-70 mm

    both f2.8

  2. #2

    Default Re: 17-55 or 24-70

    Quote Originally Posted by tiago View Post
    hi,

    i have a dx camera and want to get your opinion on these two lenses to cover the wide end of the spectrum. i have a budget of 2k so the options i am looking at are

    nikon 17-55 mm OR sigma 24-70 mm

    both f2.8
    IMO... i would get 17-55 since u r in crop body... as it can b fore useful for lanscape... i would get 24-70 if only i have UWA

  3. #3

    Default Re: 17-55 or 24-70

    Quote Originally Posted by WatWatz View Post
    IMO... i would get 17-55 since u r in crop body... as it can b fore useful for lanscape... i would get 24-70 if only i have UWA
    No use. Crop bodies still has 1.5x factor even on DX lenses. that would mean the 17-55mm is almost equivalent to a 24-70mm. TS, both lenses are great but if you're going FX in afew years time i suggest you head for the 24-70mm.

  4. #4
    Member technoglitz87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    314

    Default Re: 17-55 or 24-70

    a 24-70 is relatively tight but ok for table portraits, becoming almost 35-105. 35 still doable for landscape tho. if u staying on for dx, 17-55 would be my choice.

  5. #5

    Default Re: 17-55 or 24-70

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz View Post
    No use. Crop bodies still has 1.5x factor even on DX lenses. that would mean the 17-55mm is almost equivalent to a 24-70mm. TS, both lenses are great but if you're going FX in afew years time i suggest you head for the 24-70mm.
    and the 24-70 would be equivalent to a 36-105.

    24mm is doable for wide landscape shots. get the 17-55 if you're staying dx. else, consider expanding your budget and getting the nikon 24-70. i don't own the sigma 24-70 but posts from dpreview say the nikon version is significantly sharper. i own the nikon version and its a fantastic piece of glass

    edit: also, what are you interested in shooting? different lenses suit different purposes.
    Last edited by nickzkcin; 6th June 2011 at 05:30 PM.
    Team FX Nikon
    Pet peeve: The word is 'lens', not 'len'

  6. #6

    Default Re: 17-55 or 24-70

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz View Post
    No use. Crop bodies still has 1.5x factor even on DX lenses. that would mean the 17-55mm is almost equivalent to a 24-70mm. TS, both lenses are great but if you're going FX in afew years time i suggest you head for the 24-70mm.
    i understand about crop factor on DX that y i already mentioned... as i will use UWA for landcape and will get 24-70... if i dun have UWA i would get 17-55 as 17 mm can b use for landscape... because i find 24mm n crop a little light for lanscape

  7. #7

    Default Re: 17-55 or 24-70

    off topic: landscapes aren't shot solely with ultra wide lenses.



    shot at 200mm.
    Team FX Nikon
    Pet peeve: The word is 'lens', not 'len'

  8. #8

    Default Re: 17-55 or 24-70

    Quote Originally Posted by nickzkcin View Post
    and the 24-70 would be equivalent to a 36-105.

    24mm is doable for wide landscape shots. get the 17-55 if you're staying dx. else, consider expanding your budget and getting the nikon 24-70. i don't own the sigma 24-70 but posts from dpreview say the nikon version is significantly sharper. i own the nikon version and its a fantastic piece of glass

    edit: also, what are you interested in shooting? different lenses suit different purposes.
    OH! i didn't see that it was a sigma 24-70mm. TS, you can get the NIKON's 24-70mm 2nd hand for about $2000. Definitely worth it. All lenses can be used for landscapes. It depends on which FL you like. For me i only consider 18mm and below for landscapes.

  9. #9

    Default Re: 17-55 or 24-70

    yes, you're right! Nikon's 24-70mm is sooooooo good... I just got mine and lovin' it....

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz View Post
    OH! i didn't see that it was a sigma 24-70mm. TS, you can get the NIKON's 24-70mm 2nd hand for about $2000. Definitely worth it. All lenses can be used for landscapes. It depends on which FL you like. For me i only consider 18mm and below for landscapes.

  10. #10
    Member mysimba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Jln Kayu
    Posts
    244

    Default Re: 17-55 or 24-70

    Quote Originally Posted by 116520 View Post
    yes, you're right! Nikon's 24-70mm is sooooooo good... I just got mine and lovin' it....
    Agree...
    *Simba* loves D700 + 24-70

  11. #11

    Default Re: 17-55 or 24-70

    Consider nikon 17-35mm f2.8 also.. Great lens

  12. #12

    Default

    The 17-55 has very bad flare with strong light. Much better with the 24-70. Still 17-55 is a superb lens on DX

  13. #13
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: 17-55 or 24-70

    24-70 is a great lens. Just be mindful of the problems reported widely of this lens. Try to get a new piece instead of a used one.

  14. #14

    Default Re: 17-55 or 24-70

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    24-70 is a great lens. Just be mindful of the problems reported widely of this lens. Try to get a new piece instead of a used one.
    Why you recommend to get new instead used ?????

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    Newer batch had some of those known problems rectified.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  16. #16

    Default Re: 17-55 or 24-70

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    Newer batch had some of those known problems rectified.
    Thks. For the info

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •