Thread: blades diaphragm not aligned?

Default blades diaphragm not aligned?

Hi, correct me if I'm wrong. Should the blades look 'circular' when fully opened using the mechanical thing at the back of the lens? I checked mine just now and the blade doesn't look 100% circular. Or is this perfectly normal? I checked my other lens and it's blades have a 'circular' finish when opened at max.

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Thanks!

Default Re: blades diaphragm not aligned?

Quote Originally Posted by kodakero12 View Post
    Hi, correct me if I'm wrong. Should the blades look 'circular' when fully opened using the mechanical thing at the back of the lens? I checked mine just now and the blade doesn't look 100% circular. Or is this perfectly normal? I checked my other lens and it's blades have a 'circular' finish when opened at max.

Thanks!
    It depends on the number of blades, the more the number of blades, the more circular it will be when opened up. Some lenses have rounded blades as well.

Not necessarily. At the widest opening the aperture should be what the f-number states. How this is achieved doesn't matter. Some zoom lenses actually need to close the aperture a bit at the wide end, otherwise the widest aperture here would be larger than what is stated at the lens.
    EOS

thanks for both your reply. I thought the widest aperture always looks like a 'circular' shape. I guess my zoom lens is not. so far the quality of my lens is superb. so i guess mines perfectly normal. thanks again!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kodakero12 View Post
    thanks for both your reply. I thought the widest aperture always looks like a 'circular' shape. I guess my zoom lens is not. so far the quality of my lens is superb. so i guess mines perfectly normal. thanks again!
    Not always circular.

Relax. and just shoot.

You can "create" a custom bokeh too...
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka