Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What does it take for a newbie to become a professional photographer?

Default Re: What does it take for a newbie to become a professional photographer?

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Just as an example I could list from doctors, dentists, lawyers, professional engineers, contractors, developers, plumbers, forklift drivers, food handlers, etc.
    The degree of regulation varies for sure, but essentially there is some regulation and hence, a regulatory body. Just curious if such a thing exists (or has existed) for the photography industry.
    I think it's harder to regulate an industry where results are very, very subjective.

For the list you have provided, doctors, dentists, lawyers, etc, a yardstick is available, i.e. after the worker has obtained certification of a particular skillset, or meets other peripheral requirements, they should be alright for the job. Photography is without question, an industry where you do not necessarily need to obtain certification to produce results, nor will formalised training be an absolute must. Without any standard, what's there to regulate?

Default Re: What does it take for a newbie to become a professional photographer?

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Just curious:

Does the photography industry have any regulatory body, for example what the Singapore Medical Council is to medical practitioners?
    Observing the number of freelance photographers around, my first assumption would be "no", but just curious whether such an idea was ever mooted in the past.
    Yes, there are, Wedding Photographers Association (Singapore) aka WPAS and Professional Photographers Association (Singapore) aka PPAS
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Uncle catchlights,

Regulation very different from certification... Regulation means that these two organisations, i.e. WPAS and PPAS should have the right to dictate that people who have not obtained their certification or approval cannot do photography for a fee. My understanding is that there is no such right or power given to these organisations.

Quote Originally Posted by NikF601 View Post
    Step by step until your photos can sell to commercial market...
    just join any micro stock agencies, once anyone of your image being downloaded and make US$0.25 royalty, you can call yourself a stock shooter and have images available for commercial market worldwide.

how does it sound? very shiok right??

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Uncle catchlights,

Regulation very different from certification... Regulation means that these two organisations, i.e. WPAS and PPAS should have the right to dictate that people who have not obtained their certification or approval cannot do photography for a fee. My understanding is that there is no such right or power given to these organisations.
    many people want a union instead of association, why photographers want to degrade themself as a worker?

why should let other regulate you instead self-regulate, shouldn't photographers consider themself as professional?

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    many people want a union instead of association, why photographers want to degrade themself as a worker?

why should let other regulate you instead self-regulate, shouldn't photographers consider themself as professional?
    I'm not debating whether there is a need for regulation of photographers.

But there is no regulation la, that's just my point. That's a fact mah.

I agree that it would be tough to regulate and worse, probably detrimental to the creative element of photography should there be such regulation.
    Anyway from the responses so far, the short and simple answer to my initial question seems like "No, there isn't and never was any regulation of the photography industry."

It was never my intention to debate the merits of having regulation of this industry, though admittedly some of the points and examples I raised seemed to suggest that.
    Have diverted the topic away from TS' original question, so I will not post further on this. Thanks all for the responses

Although I do around 3-5 paid assignments a month, I don't call myself a professional photographer, rather being a freelance photographer.

There are quite a lot of factors when considering whether to commit as a full time professional photographer. First year, it would be time to recoup the loss from purchasing the equipments, following will see how well you manage yourself to keep assignments coming in constantly.

If you are focusing on portraiture like me, don't just think of the right equipments and studio, they are just part of it, a team of makeup artist and styling director is very important. When doing assignments, my MUA and SD and 2nd PG are always around..
    Think fast, aim for the best !

P.S, I once attended one of the outing organized by Kit, and what he said is relatively true, "It's not how well you shoot, it's how well you market yourself. Some people can really well but are not successful because they don't really know how to market themselves, rather an average photographer who can market themselves would be much better"
    Think fast, aim for the best !

Quote Originally Posted by putput View Post
    What does it take for a newbie to become a professional photographer?
    Certificate?
    Expensive camera and lens?
    Experience?
    Studio?
    my opinion,

Stubborness and Persistence for the business side of photography.

when people are willing to pay your rates, you know you are pro.

never cheapen yourself and your skills by being cheapest.

if you are terrible with people, get an agent or join an established team.

oh yes, winning competitions does help to get one foot in the door.

now where is that workflow chart on when to do work for free/pro bono???
    -on this, i remember a handful of times early in my carer got such emails say about such and such but end up go there got VVIPs and location is like Grand Ballroom with six course meal with branded chocolates as door gifts. i facepalmed when thinking how much i could have earned rather then work in such instance for free.
    Last edited by Reportage; 6th June 2011 at 01:55 PM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by putput View Post
    What does it take for a newbie to become a professional photographer?
    Certificate?
    Expensive camera and lens?
    Experience?
    Studio?
    I believe newbie should acquire the knowledge of photography before become a professional photography.

if the professional photographer is operating his own business, he also need to acquire the knowledge of commerce and business practice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12