Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tips on NZ

Default Re: Tips on NZ

Beginning to miss NZ. Was there just a few months ago =/

Singapore, Singapore, Singapor

Went on a 16 Day South Island self-drive 2 years back. Every corner is a sight to behold especially in Summer when the days are long. The Milford Drive is known as the most scenic drive in the world. At Te Anau, you may also want to consider the 1 Day or 2 Days Doubtful Sound cruise where you get to see wildlife in the fiordlands. In fact, the locals prefer the Doubtful Sound to the Milford Sound.

Take lots and lots of shots!

As an X-Kiwi, now in Singapore, I concur with a lot of what has been posted. however a few things to note when driving:

1: Mostly dual carriage roads, so you will encounter many truck with trailers traveling at 100KM++
    2: When traveling on unsealed roads be very careful of your speed and excessive of your brakes, incase you skid, especially when you have steep drop offs
    3: In Winter especially in the South Island West Coast, Otago and traveling via Arthurs Pass, becareful of Black Ice. This is ice you cant see, usually in shaded areas.

If you want to camp I would suggest taking a camper van setup, you can drive and sleep in the back, more comfort and more flexible, depending on where you want to travel.

I would also suggest if you are traveling and intend to see the sights plan carefully and take note of driving distances. I would also recommend going to the Blenheim, Picton, Nelson areas, very nice scenery and good contrast in coastlines.

Travelling from Nelson south, go via the Upper Buller Gorge, spectacular views of the river and forest. Once you get to Inangahua Junction, you can go either left to Greymouth, via Reefton(old gold and coal mining area) or go right to Westport via the Lower Buller Gorge, also very spectacular views of the river. Westport has alot to offer.

You can travel from Westport to Greymouth via the Coast Road, again here very spectacular views of the coast line, on the way can stop at Punakaiki,.

West Coast South Island New Zealand

I Lived in Greymouth for 15 years / Blenheim for 7 years, so would have no problems in recommending that you visit the Marborough, Nelson and West Coast Districts. Each area is unique.

If you want to catch a glimpse of what it was like on the West Coast in the 1800's visit Shantytown Heritage Park near Greymouth, worth the visit.

Hope this information helps, just research and plan carefully allow enough time for driving and rest stops.

Cheers ....
    Last edited by Deyeno; 11th October 2011 at 01:01 PM.
    40D|BG-E2N|24-105L F4.0 IS USM |70-200L F2.8 IS USM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12