Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Tips on NZ

  1. #1

    Default Tips on NZ

    Hello! I'm currently studying abroad here in New Zealand. I've shot Chirstchurch (before the major earthquake happened), Palmertson North and Gisborne. I'm hoping to shoot a few beautiful places in Auckland sometime this June.

    But is there any good places to shoot? The places i shot before are very nice but not beautiful yet. Can anyone pls give me advice which place to shoot? I'd apperciate it very much!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Tips on NZ

    Punakaiki pancake rocks and blowholes, Fox Glacier and Franz Josef Glacier. All on west coast of south island.

  3. #3
    Member Clarenze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: Tips on NZ

    The entire South Island is amazing. I was there for 3 months last September during the initial earthquake.

    Anyway, if you are able to gather some friends and drive down south, there are many places that you can visit. Lake Tekapo, Lake Pukaki, Lake Matheson, Mt Hutt, Mt Cook, Fox Glacier, Arthur's Pass, Cave Streams/Rocks, Akaroa, Kaikora. There's just too many to mention, the entire place is amazing.

    Where are you studying anyway? UC or Auckland Uni?
    Nikon D800 | N14-24mm | N50mm | GoPro HERO 3 | Clarenze Photography

  4. #4

    Default Re: Tips on NZ

    GRbenji: Fox Glacier and Franz Josef Glacier, can tell mi more abt them?

    Clarenze: I heard Lake Tekapo is a very beautiful place to shoot, i'll try to go there by the end of this year! Thanks man!

    Massey University, up north.

  5. #5
    Member Clarenze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: Tips on NZ

    Quote Originally Posted by newbie5 View Post
    GRbenji: Fox Glacier and Franz Josef Glacier, can tell mi more abt them?

    Clarenze: I heard Lake Tekapo is a very beautiful place to shoot, i'll try to go there by the end of this year! Thanks man!

    Massey University, up north.
    When you are at Lake Tekapo, just spend the afternoon soaking at the hot tubs at Alpine Springs, the feeling accompanied by the view is just awesome.
    Nikon D800 | N14-24mm | N50mm | GoPro HERO 3 | Clarenze Photography

  6. #6

    Default Re: Tips on NZ

    Hi,

    Cannot not put some suggestion across.

    Was in NZ in December 2007(Hopefully to return back in Winter 2012) but spend most time (two weeks) driving only on the South Island.

    Yes to whole country(South Island in my case) have many amazing place for excellent photography.

    Different seasons in the year gives you a very different mood and prespective of the landscape. During my trip that summer the part I enjoyed most was the stay at Queenstown and exploring the area around it. Also do not miss to venture out to the Fiordland Region, easiest way to explore Fiordland is to head for Milford Sound. Only if I have known better I would have given this part of the trip an extra day or two. The drive up the mountain towards Milford Sound is amazing that I have to refrain myself from stopping at to many places to get amazing landscape pictures.

    The best time to visit Milford Sound is actually during the heavy rainy season when the whole sound is drench with heavy rainfall and this is when the sound will be at its best with many natural waterfalls starts to come out on every cliffhanger wall of the sound. Than there will be many excellent photo opportunities. Not only the sound with come alive, the river water will rise high and with melting snow the whole place becomes a photographers paradise.

    Here are some photos to entice you to go to Milford Sound and have an amazing adventure. Pictures taken only using a Casio Digital Camera:

    #01


    #02


    #03


    #04 - You can get right next to the cliff wall and experience cold water of the waterfall falling directly on you.


    Also my favorite place in South Island if driving from Queenstown to the West Coast region where both the Franz Josef and Fox glaciers are situated. Again in my opinion best time for photography for this region is during the rainy season where the temperate rain forest that covers 95% of the region will be best to be photographed.

    #05 - Taken just outside the motel, Glacier Gateway Motel and the Frans Josef Glacier is just beyond the hills.


    There will be more beautiful and scenic places along the coastal West Coast drive that you can stop and explore if given sufficient time and good planning.

    After spending sometime at the West Coast one best way to return back to Christchurch is driving across via Authur's Pass where you can again enjoy the beautiful and scenic landscape South Island can offer.

    Take your time to plan carefully what you want to see and experience because if not you will be overwhelmed by the whole area and may not be enjoy it to the fullest. My advice is to choose afew places that you may really want to see and experience. Than plan to stay a little longer at these places to really soak in the sights and experience such as hiking trips and drive into dirt roads up the country side.

    New Zealand is a place for the soul to relax and to enjoy the granduer of nature.

    Have fun !!!
    KM7D / CZ16-80 / 70-210mm / 300mm 2.8 / 1.4TC / 100mm 2.8 macro

  7. #7

    Default Re: Tips on NZ

    Wow, those are awesome photos! THank you for showing me ur photos!

    Clarencez: Should i camp down there? I mean i wanna capture sunset but i'm not sure if it's there.

  8. #8
    Member weegheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Hi I will travel to S New Zealand on this coming July. Would you intro some interesting place at Queenstown?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Tips on NZ

    Quote Originally Posted by weegheng View Post
    Hi I will travel to S New Zealand on this coming July. Would you intro some interesting place at Queenstown?
    suggestion on Winter at Queenstown:
    Walking around Lake Wakatipu
    Visit remarkables ski field
    TSS Earnslaw Steamship Lake Cruises, visit Walter Peak High Country at the shores of Lake Wakatipu
    Dinning at Skyline Gondola Restaurant (Good food, good scene)
    Drive on the 45 minute scenic drives from Queenstown to Glenorchy
    Visit Arrowtown Scene small town (about 20min from Queenstown).

  10. #10

    Default Re: Tips on NZ

    Quote Originally Posted by newbie5 View Post
    Hello! I'm currently studying abroad here in New Zealand. I've shot Chirstchurch (before the major earthquake happened), Palmertson North and Gisborne. I'm hoping to shoot a few beautiful places in Auckland sometime this June.

    But is there any good places to shoot? The places i shot before are very nice but not beautiful yet. Can anyone pls give me advice which place to shoot? I'd apperciate it very much!

    For North Island you can consider:
    Paihia- gangway to Bay of Islands, Cape Reinga
    Rotorua- xperience Maori culture,geothermal phenomena and hot springs
    Te Puke Town- The Kiwifruit Capital of the World,visit Kiwi360
    Taupo- Beautiful LakeLake Taupo and Huka Falls
    Tongariro National Pk -Rings Filming Location, The combination of wild and beautiful
    Tirau- visit the very special iSITE center

    For South Island you can consider:
    Lake Tekapo
    Mt Cook & Tasman Glacier
    Queenstown & Arrow Town (Best of the best at Autumn)
    Te Anau- Lake Te Anau sunrise
    Flordland NP- breathtaking Milford Sound
    Dunedin- Wildlife paradise Otago Peninsula
    Kaikoura-Raging waves, sunrise, wildlife life
    West Coast- breathtaking scenery, Lake Matheson sunrise,Franz Josef Glacier and Fox Glacier
    Castle Hill-Magnificent stone and brilliant wildflowers (Except in winter)

    some of my NZ trip photos.
    South Island Summer: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kskong/...th/4777614688/
    South Island Winter : http://www.flickr.com/photos/kskong/...7624426556052/
    South Island Autumn: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kskong/...7626816948511/
    North Island Summer : http://www.flickr.com/photos/kskong/...7622751513770/

  11. #11
    Member Clarenze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: Tips on NZ

    Quote Originally Posted by newbie5 View Post
    Wow, those are awesome photos! THank you for showing me ur photos!

    Clarencez: Should i camp down there? I mean i wanna capture sunset but i'm not sure if it's there.
    I would advise you to camp, there are a few camp spot there that are quite cheap.
    I went there without planning so I ended up sleeping in my car. It was pretty cold, my girlfriend complained but for guys it shouldn't be a problem.
    Nikon D800 | N14-24mm | N50mm | GoPro HERO 3 | Clarenze Photography

  12. #12

    Default Re: Tips on NZ

    Kskong,

    amazing photos. Mind to share car rental info in Christchurch.


    Quote Originally Posted by K S Kong View Post
    For North Island you can consider:
    • Paihia- gangway to Bay of Islands, Cape Reinga
    • Rotorua- xperience Maori culture,geothermal phenomena and hot springs
    • Te Puke Town- The Kiwifruit Capital of the World,visit Kiwi360
    • Taupo- Beautiful LakeLake Taupo and Huka Falls
    • Tongariro National Pk -Rings Filming Location, The combination of wild and beautiful
    • Tirau- visit the very special iSITE center

    For South Island you can consider:
    • Lake Tekapo
    • Mt Cook & Tasman Glacier
    • Queenstown & Arrow Town (Best of the best at Autumn)
    • Te Anau- Lake Te Anau sunrise
    • Flordland NP- breathtaking Milford Sound
    • Dunedin- Wildlife paradise Otago Peninsula
    • Kaikoura-Raging waves, sunrise, wildlife life
    • West Coast- breathtaking scenery, Lake Matheson sunrise,Franz Josef Glacier and Fox Glacier
    • Castle Hill-Magnificent stone and brilliant wildflowers (Except in winter)

    some of my NZ trip photos.
    South Island Summer: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kskong/...th/4777614688/
    South Island Winter : http://www.flickr.com/photos/kskong/...7624426556052/
    South Island Autumn: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kskong/...7626816948511/
    North Island Summer : http://www.flickr.com/photos/kskong/...7622751513770/

  13. #13

    Default Re: Tips on NZ

    Hi ted6328

    You can use this link to look for a car rental company in Christchurch
    http://www.newzealand.com/travel/get...ed/200611.html

    Usually those with the counter at the airport are the larger international companies, their cars are more expensive but new.

    Those company need to go airport nearby to pick-up car are usually the local company, rents are cheaper, but older cars.
    (They will send someone to the airport to pick you up to their company)

    But in my experience, it is more suitable hire a 4WD. Because some of the attraction Located in rugged road.

    Coupled with a GPS, probably ten dollars a day, but save a lot of time in looking at the map.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Tips on NZ

    KS Kong, Thanks.

    Very useful info.

  15. #15
    Member weegheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Thanks for the infor,

  16. #16

    Default Re: Tips on NZ

    Hi, I finally went to Lake Taupo, Rotoura, Hawke's Bay, Hamlition and Auckland, unfortuately, i only managed to capture nice ones at Rotoura cos I was in the car with an couple. They had to look after their newborn son so it was quite difficult to stop at the desired route. I had wanted to camp at Mt Cook but i couldn't afford the travelling expenses so therefore i had to go on a car trip with this couple.
    Hopefully, next time i could afford to go camping at Mt Cook.
    One of the two photos, i went to Rotoura and saw a river flowing forward and the other i went to Auckland Zoo, which you probably wouldn't be interested.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Tips on NZ

    I'm sorry but the uploading the photos doesn't seem to appear.

    Can anyone tell me how and where to upload here?

  18. #18

    Default Re: Tips on NZ

    Quote Originally Posted by newbie5 View Post
    I'm sorry but the uploading the photos doesn't seem to appear.

    Can anyone tell me how and where to upload here?
    Please read the sticky, this section is not for sharing pics.
    There is a travel and landscape section for this.
    Cheers.
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

  19. #19

    Default Re: Tips on NZ

    Oh! Thank you for ur information!

    Since i'm not able to upload photos here, i shall take an opportunity to inquire. I am planning to go to Auckland again, sometime in November this year, backpacking alone. I think my friend whom i'm acquainted with wasn't very helpful with where i could shoot. Does anyone know of any good places in Auckland that i can shoot while camping? Only in Auckland.

    I'd appericate it very much!

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    165

    Default Re: Tips on NZ

    Quote Originally Posted by newbie5 View Post
    Oh! Thank you for ur information!

    Since i'm not able to upload photos here, i shall take an opportunity to inquire. I am planning to go to Auckland again, sometime in November this year, backpacking alone. I think my friend whom i'm acquainted with wasn't very helpful with where i could shoot. Does anyone know of any good places in Auckland that i can shoot while camping? Only in Auckland.

    I'd appericate it very much!
    Auckland is mainly cityscape. I would suggest going to devonport where you get the night scene of auckland. Something similar to the MBS night scene we have here in Singapore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •