Thread: Camera for newbie

Default Camera for newbie

Any recommendations for newbie moving from compact into DSLR? Before you flame, the person in mind have not made up mind what exactly are the preferred features and hence, I said newbie (not me though).

Choices in mind
    1 Canon 600D
    2 Nikon D5100
    3. ?

Budget of package <$2k but can stretch if needed. Many thanks in advance!

Default Re: Camera for newbie

Quote Originally Posted by heutistmeintag View Post
    Any recommendations for newbie moving from compact into DSLR? Before you flame, the person in mind have not made up mind what exactly are the preferred features and hence, I said newbie (not me though).

Choices in mind
    1 Canon 600D
    2 Nikon D5100
    3. ?

Dann hast du wirklich ein Problem....

1. Have you read the "What DSLR to get?" FAQ or any of the 1000 similar "DSLR for a newbie" threads?
    2. Which of the cameras have you tested?
    3. With that budget, you can also consider a Pentax, a Sony A33/35/55. Each camera has very distinct pros and cons, such as built-in antishake, or fast autofocusing in live view/video, etc. You *really* need to do some research first.
    4. Each camera has it's own handling style, ergonomics, button layout, menu layout, etc. You really really really need to TEST first.
    Alpha

Then seriously if the newbie didn't has any idea what he or she really wants... it would be practically impossible for any of us to give u any advices. Please ask he/she to read through the 'what DSLR to buy' thread to have a better idea.

At the mean time, from the choice you have given, it seemed that he/she like the following,

1) Good movie mode
    2) vari-LCD screen.

Following that line, there are actually a few models that you could look at... of course the Canon and Nikon models are as you have given - 600D and D5100. The Sony A55 came in mind too...

Also have a look at mirrorless camera such as the Panasonic GH-2 who have both Vari-Angle LCD and movie mode too.

there are lots of possible DSLR model that you can buy. If you are totally clueless, I would suggest that you start with a basic model. Once you start shooting, you will know what you want or what you are lacking. Then you will know what to buy for your next upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by heutistmeintag View Post

Choices in mind
    1 Canon 600D
    2 Nikon D5100
    3. ?

If you choose Nikon, go for D7000.... tech and spec + <$2k

Suggest get ur friend to rent the different models to try before buying. It is not all about camera specs but often a matter of comfort feel with the equipment, the position of the buttons, the dials and menus etc.

Worse still, many people who are used to PnS and does not fully appreciate the DSLR and hence its weight often end up in the BnS section after one or two months.

Blog Entries

hmm just go find out more about both cam ask your fren to try,

dont regret after buying!
    Lousy de My Flickr

just go to the upcoming pc show to molest all the models...camera models of course. haha. should have a good feel of how each weighs and how it is on his hands.

Quote Originally Posted by technoglitz87 View Post
    just go to the upcoming pc show to molest all the models...camera models of course. haha. should have a good feel of how each weighs and how it is on his hands.
    Horrible advice. Why go to the overcrowded PC show when you can go to a showroom or camera shop or harvey norman, courts, etc?
    Alpha