Thread: PS Whiten Backdrop

Default PS Whiten Backdrop

I did studio shot but most photo turned out yellowish instead of white backdrop. Wondering how to whiten the backdrop? Thank you for your advice.

wondering how to use the PhotoShop to whiten the backdrop which is white in colour? Kindly advice the steps to do it. Thank you.

Use Levels/Curves... use the grey dropper and click on the yellow backdrop.. that will force the area to a neutral colour...

dunno if it applies here... since u said studio shots, did you set white balance to flash? cos previously i have this problem as well...

if you can't retake again, i think unless your object does not blend with the background, den you can just use the wand & take out the background & change it to white... else if you change levels, your object will also change color as well.. *just a thought... i am not good with colors*
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    dunno if it applies here... since u said studio shots, did you set white balance to flash? cos previously i have this problem as well...

if you can't retake again, i think unless your object does not blend with the background, den you can just use the wand & take out the background & change it to white... else if you change levels, your object will also change color as well.. *just a thought... i am not good with colors*

I am using S2pro and i doubt it can set white balance to flash. Anyway, i will take a look at the setting again. Thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt

Thank you for your advice. I will try to adjust it before i send for printing.

no problem... so you solved your problem?

btw if you can't set to flash balance, you can do manual white balance? den u flash trigger get the white balance? or meter off something very white...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

I will try it when i reached home. Most time i use the Auto white balance. Next studio shooting i will try manual white balance setting. Should i use a white paper or base on the white backdrop?

if you have a white card would be the best, i printed out a color chart for my usage so can change color to different needs

Willyfoo gave a very good answer to your question. Do like what he suggests. Use the Levels or Curves in Adobe Photoshop. I normally apply it using a new adjustment layer. That way, by turning off the effects, I can compare to the original. The 3 eyedropper represents black, grey and white in left to right order. That means that you can use the right one to apply to any white article (eg white shirt or white paper) in the photo.

In addition to this you could use LAyer mask such that only the background become white when u use levels and curves.

Today i bought "The Photoshop CS Book for Digital Photographers". I followed you guys advice and i managed to make the backdrop REAL WHITE !!! Is amazing. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge. Now my photo look real great
    Last edited by Vincere; 8th September 2004 at 10:48 PM.

Oh by the way, if all else fail, and there's no chance for a reshoot, there's always the option of using the selection tool/lasso/magic wand, and a throw in plenty of time and effort. Usually you'll be able to get workable images.

Especially when trying to get a white background when it was shot in something else totally.