Thread: Foodie Shots

Default Foodie Shots

Hi guys, Chris again. Just finished a shoot with a group of my chef friends. All shots taken with off-camera flash and my macro-lens.

Hope you guys enjoy it! The article and interviews can be found below:

Get COOK Featured! (1/2) Isaac Tan
    Get COOK Featured (2/2)! Isaac Tan & Marcus Quek

ASIAN REVELATION by mondocheesemonster // photography, on Flickr

GOT A BEEF WITH IT (CHOMP CHOMP IT DOWN) by mondocheesemonster // photography, on Flickr

IF HARD WORK HAD A FLAVOUR by mondocheesemonster // photography, on Flickr

CHEERFUL DISPOSITION (MADE BETTER) by mondocheesemonster // photography, on Flickr

TASTE OF HEAVEN (TASTES LIKE CHICKEN) by mondocheesemonster // photography, on Flickr

Feel free to ask if you've got any queries or comments, can't wait to hear them!

Also, you can follow me on twitter and my facebook page.

Default Re: Foodie Shots

Very nice styling, good range of colours, well choice & arrangement of props. Noticed you forgone the usual placement of cutlery. Was the styling done by you? And do you feel the light is a bit harsh sometimes, or maybe you like it this way? Sorry I'm only looking at the photos in this page, am wondering if it's your preferred style to focus more on the presentation than the food itself? I think useful comparisions can be drawn between your work and those in the other foodie threads. Cheers~

Need to "Concentrate"=Whereby a Food-Photographer should knows the "Importance-of-which-Portion/s to-be-within-In-Focus=DOF", on that/the Food/s...and watch-out-that "so Sloped and Tilted-"falling"-Foods/Dishes"...it's a

Do note on those since if one is looking/heading it towards the "Directions" of it as "Assignment" as "Food-Photography/er"...

Thanks
    Anything that can take pictures...happy already lor...(..but...Hasselblad_H5D-50 as my Workhorse)

@foxtwo: Hm, styling was not done by me. Was done by the chef. Admittedly, I do like my light sources a bit harsher. I feel that sometimes it may be a bit boring to have soft window light. Definitely can explore other styles of lighting. Sometimes it's good to be out of the box! But of course, if the customer requests it to be lit that way, we have to comply... (:

@blueskye168: Yes, this assignment was done perhaps in a more "artistic" style, which is not so common I guess. Quite lucky the chef didn't force me to a certain style, so I had free rein. The direction would have been different if this was for a catalogue or menu. Free roam = exploration! Will definitely keep your points in mind. Thanks for taking the time to give advice. Noted the falling food, haha - didn't think about that when I shot it.

impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by mondocheesemonster View Post
    @foxtwo: Hm, styling was not done by me. Was done by the chef. Admittedly, I do like my light sources a bit harsher. I feel that sometimes it may be a bit boring to have soft window light. Definitely can explore other styles of lighting. Sometimes it's good to be out of the box! But of course, if the customer requests it to be lit that way, we have to comply... (:

@blueskye168: Yes, this assignment was done perhaps in a more "artistic" style, which is not so common I guess. Quite lucky the chef didn't force me to a certain style, so I had free rein. The direction would have been different if this was for a catalogue or menu. Free roam = exploration! Will definitely keep your points in mind. Thanks for taking the time to give advice. Noted the falling food, haha - didn't think about that when I shot it.
    Hi Christopher,

Yes, if it's "Artistic" point-of-view, no problem can accept including your lighting (still not too harsh - to me - as compared to "High-Key" a for Food-Photography...)!!

Styling - not by you, hence, will not touch on that area.

Yes, if every shots done with "Diffuse or just natural-lighting", too much, true can be "Dull" too.

50%agreed, 50%disagreed...as in one/you-as a Food-Photographer, should "Educate/Explain" the Do's & Don's of "executing" that "shot" to a Customers/Client's "Desire" so in the end if they learned something, they'll accept it, but, in the event if they still stand-strong of their "Desire" then YES we'll...( including me...!! ) follow/Satisfy their "Desire" of getting that particular "shot"...

Hmm...glad that hear that you know "The direction(as in, ways of getting the "Appropriate-Food-Shots" would have been different if this was for a catalogue or menu.)

Well then, enjoy and Happy-Shooting, bro
    Last edited by blueskye168; 2nd June 2011 at 04:23 PM.
    Anything that can take pictures...happy already lor...(..but...Hasselblad_H5D-50 as my Workhorse)

Quote Originally Posted by blueskye168 View Post
    Hi Christopher,

Yes, if it's "Artistic" point-of-view, :thumbsup:no problem can accept including your lighting (still not too harsh - to me - as compared to "High-Key" a :nono:for Food-Photography...)!!

Styling - not by you, hence, will not touch on that area.

Yes, if every shots done with "Diffuse or just natural-lighting", too much, true can be "Dull" too.

50%agreed, 50%disagreed...as in one/you-as a Food-Photographer, should "Educate/Explain" the Do's & Don's of "executing" that "shot" to a Customers/Client's "Desire" so in the end if they learned something, they'll accept it, but, in the event if they still stand-strong of their "Desire" then YES we'll...( including me...!! ) follow/Satisfy their "Desire" of getting that particular "shot"...:bsmilie:

Hmm...glad that hear that you know "The direction:thumbsup:(as in, ways of getting the "Appropriate-Food-Shots" would have been different if this was for a catalogue or menu.)

Well then, enjoy and Happy-Shooting, bro;)
    @blueskye168: Once again, thanks for your legnthy reply. Ya lar, in the end the customer is still king... ... Will add you on flickr (; Happy shooting to you too. Take care man!

@leezy86: Thanks man :D
    Last edited by mondocheesemonster; 2nd June 2011 at 05:14 PM.

Lovely series. Comments on harsh lighting and focus area already touched on above, nothing else to add.
    Thanks for sharing.

i love most of the photos. the way you processed it to be warm looks really unique.

another comment i can make is the middle in 2nd photo is a bit too wide for me. I can't quite figure out what food is this already. i think it's good to compose in such a way that one can immediately recognize what food it is so they can go order that. just my 2 cents.

pls post more.

@grumpy: Thanks for your time & comments, appreciate it!

@onioncube: Yeap, definitely. Also received the similar comments from my friends, "My only thoughts are about the second set.... I cant actually tell what that one is. All the others show off the ingredients well, but I dont quite get that with the second one. Anywho, just a thought!"

I suppose it was in part due to the nature of the dish, "Braised Beef Brisket with Beef jus Soil, Potatoes and Asparagus Shavings. Prepared by Isaac, Marcus & Brandon.", which is essentially a mixed ingredients salad of sorts. Then again, a lot of these things you only realize AFTER the shoot... haha. I guess more experience then! Have also added you on flickr. Cheers!

The foods look temping.. good shots