Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My pic was published without my knowledge

Default My pic was published without my knowledge

For ClickArt participants who submitted their photos during the photo competition, please be aware that the submission clause states that:

"The copyright of the images shall remain with the photographer; the organisers reserve the right to use them in any manner deemed fit to promote Singapore arts scene, without payment of any fee for a period of two (2) years."

I'm fine with that. The photo that I submitted was used as the image to promote "Singapore Uncovered" organized by Asia House here. The problem is that I WASN'T EVEN INFORMED about the use of my photo. Apparently it's also in today's Streats. Any recourse? I would have expected them to at least inform me.
    Last edited by czeyang; 6th September 2004 at 02:13 PM.

i would be so proud if my pic get published.

however, i would want them to at least give me credit for the pic. its only fair i guess, they get to use it for free, & u get to make a name for yourself.

Did your shot win a prize? I would have thought those conditions would only apply to winning entries. Perhaps it's best to contact the competition organisers directly and see what they would have to say first.

vince123123
    Guests

Well based solely on the information given in the following quotation, it does appear that there is no obligation on the organisers to give you notice when they use the photos, nor to give you credit.

Quote Originally Posted by czeyang
    For ClickArt participants who submitted their photos during the photo competition, please be aware that the submission clause states that:

"The copyright of the images shall remain with the photographer; the organisers reserve the right to use them in any manner deemed fit to promote Singapore arts scene, without payment of any fee for a period of two (2) years."

I'm fine with that. The photo that I submitted was used as the image to promote "Singapore Uncovered" organized by Asia House here. The problem is that I WASN'T EVEN INFORMED about the use of my photo. Apparently it's also in today's Streats. Any recourse? I would have expected them to at least inform me.

Default Screw 'em!

sometimes those contests adds value to photographers by sharpening phjotographers' skills.

most times, those contests takes value away from photographers by taking away their copyrights or, in this case, their right to royalties or fees.

I say!
    Screw any competitions that takes our photographers' copyright and right to royalties and fees!

Let's screw them! Boycott any competitions that takes our photographers' copyright and right to royalties and fees!

Join only competitions that retain photographers' copyrights and rights to royalties and fees.

That's the reason professionals usually don't take part in these contests. They don't like the idea of their work being "stolen".

But for amateurs it's a different story, because you get the thrill of being published. So it's a win-win situation. The organizers get free photo stock, and the amateur contestant gets free "exposure" (whether or not a prize was awarded becomes irrelevant).

Nice picture. Weird but nice. Anyway, they didn't have to inform you based on your provided clause. Was your name credited to the photo? That's the least you should demand for.
    Congrats. Did I say nice shot?

Yah, they dun have to inform you and as I know, it's not restricted to only winning entries.

They will say all entries submitted the organiser will have the right to use the photos in their publications etc. They never say will inform the owner of credit the owner.

For those looking for credit, I suggest you all do shots for magazines or organisations looking for photographers to take good photos for their annual report, flyers etc. And in this case, they will have to give credit to you if you are doing it for free or at a low price.

Your picture is good

sue them,i hate this kind of action.

set up a body to protect us!

Just to add, this kind of theme is very often added to any competition. The lastest or quite some time back was the competition on Botanic Garden. Photographers can submit any amount of entry. Append with a Reserve the right to use them without payment etc equivalant. Power man. Imagine the amount of entry they will receive.

hence, decided to give it a miss. We know of unpleasant experience among some CSers whose images were leached. Now, we give them (organiser of competition) the right to use them for free. It is stated clearly so we cannot oppose. Only way of opposing in my opinion, don't join.

But nevertheless, czeyang, great shot.
    Last edited by forbytes; 6th September 2004 at 08:32 PM.

Ya nice shot there

just take this competition as an example.......

http://www.sbg.org.sg/event/EntryForm.pdf

just read the rules and regulations.......
    i feel that somehow or rather.....we owe them the shots.

I would think the least they could do for the photograher would be to publish his/her work in say a magazine or paper , name the photographer and also send the photographer a free copy of said mag or paper , then at the very least you would get some kind of recognition and a nice piece for your portfolio . I wouldnt mind if my work was used this way but the way you have been treated really isnt very fair .

I think you can sue them if you can argue your way across that the picture is published in media not meant for or not within the boundaries of Promoting the Arts Scene. But I don't know what's Singapore Uncovered about, neither do I know what was published in Streats for that issue. Just stating possible legal claims. Personally feel that the paper media has eroded its own reputation here in Singapore, not yet down to a USA-type paper war sort of level but we're getting there...

Very nice picture btw.

Quote Originally Posted by jesser
    just take this competition as an example.......

http://www.sbg.org.sg/event/EntryForm.pdf

just read the rules and regulations.......
    i feel that somehow or rather.....we owe them the shots.
    Gosh, PSS dun even bother to respect photographers' rights and promote it.

Rules 6 & 9 is very very stupid, they wants original works and by entering to transfer all copyrights to SBG even if you don't win... what is this?

Quote Originally Posted by czeyang
    Any recourse? I would have expected them to at least inform me.
    If your pic is good enough for publicity and reprint at so many places, the least they can do is to give you a letter of commendation or some other benefits (including Cash). That's the reason why so many pro refuse to participate! So if you choose to participate, i guess u dont have much recourse .... or maybe consult a lawyer.
    always the Light, .... always.

another case. read one of similar case recently at clubsnap oso, dun remember there is any favourable outcome to the fellow that the photo was used.

typical company thinking.

1) i set the rules, u either abide by it or you are out.
    2) no lost to me if you do not want to submit photos. there are many other willing to do it and let me do with the photos as and when i like it. no question ask.
    3) if u ask question, see my T&C.
    4) if u submit photos, most probably u are not a professional and most probably u are not rich enough to engage a lawyer to sue me.
    5) if u really engage a lawyer to sue me, most probably you will not win as singapore laws doesn't really protect the individual
    6) n if u really win, u will not be able to get much back and most probably not worth your time.
    7) if i happy, i can give u letter of recommendation. as for cash, can wait long long. but such things are extra work, most probably not doing it. time can be put to better use.
    8) so that y we keep on putting such T&C knowing we can get away with it easily.

Thumbs up Well said auron

Well said auron

Quote Originally Posted by oeyvind
    Gosh, PSS dun even bother to respect photographers' rights and promote it.

Rules 6 & 9 is very very stupid, they wants original works and by entering to transfer all copyrights to SBG even if you don't win... what is this?
    To promote photography on the one hand and rip off the rights of photographers on the other.
    PSS.... That is one of the most lame PS in singapore.
    Make that a PiSS.

btw clickart is an event to promote the understanding of photography and was well attended by PJs as well as amateurs from many places... why aren;t the people from Clickart, which should comprise several well known photography dignitaries, promoting photograhers' rights too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast