Thread: Strange "dust" problem

Default Strange "dust" problem

Hi everyone,

For the longest time I thought I had a stubborn dust spot on my sensor that just wouldn't go away:

1) Bought a bigger & more powerful blower - Giottos Rocket Blower (large) - didn't work
    2) Tried wiping my sensor with cotton buds moisten with a few droplets of DIY cleaning solution (pure methanol) - didn't work

Was just going to throw in the towel & send my camera in for sensor cleaning when I decided to do the scientific thing & test with my other lenses - this was a problem I started noticing when using my UWA (Sigma 10-20mm) @ F11 and above. To my surprise, when testing my kit 18-55mm & 50mm macro prime, NO DUST SPOTS showed up even at f16.

Pentax DAL18-55mm @ 18mm, f16

Pentax DFA 50mm @ f16

The dust spot reappeared after I put back my UWA:

The even weirder thing was that the "spot" became a bigger "blotch" after zooming in (had to enhance the contrast to make the blotch more visible, strangely more obvious on my camera's LCD):

Any gurus out there with any idea what is wrong with my camera/lens?? Thanks!

Default Re: Strange "dust" problem

Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    Hi everyone,

For the longest time I thought I had a stubborn dust spot on my sensor that just wouldn't go away:

1) Bought a bigger & more powerful blower - Giottos Rocket Blower (large) - didn't work
    2) Tried wiping my sensor with cotton buds moisten with a few droplets of DIY cleaning solution (pure methanol) - didn't work

Was just going to throw in the towel & send my camera in for sensor cleaning when I decided to do the scientific thing & test with my other lenses - this was a problem I started noticing when using my UWA (Sigma 10-20mm) @ F11 and above. To my surprise, when testing my kit 18-55mm & 50mm macro prime, NO DUST SPOTS showed up even at f16.

Pentax DAL18-55mm @ 18mm, f16

Pentax DFA 50mm @ f16

The dust spot reappeared after I put back my UWA:

The even weirder thing was that the "spot" became a bigger "blotch" after zooming in (had to enhance the contrast to make the blotch more visible, strangely more obvious on my camera's LCD):

Any gurus out there with any idea what is wrong with my camera/lens?? Thanks!
    if the other 2 lens is fine, likely is your sensor is fine.

try to bring your lens to another body and see it is due to yr lens.

bro not sure wat is it. but it look more on tat specific lens.

frankly speaking. i'm shocked by how u tried to clean ur sensor. Using cotton buds (which i presume are those off the shelf) and DIY cleaning solution. Never do sensor cleaning with such cheap stuff. U might regret it. Do get proper cleaning stuff and fluid if u really wanna do sensor cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by stuck
    Waaaaaaaaaaaa! I admire your courage bro.
    ADDICTED

Quote Originally Posted by AdyH View Post
    bro not sure wat is it. but it look more on tat specific lens.

frankly speaking. i'm shocked by how u tried to clean ur sensor. Using cotton buds (which i presume are those off the shelf) and DIY cleaning solution. Never do sensor cleaning with such cheap stuff. U might regret it. Do get proper cleaning stuff and fluid if u really wanna do sensor cleaning.
    Quote Originally Posted by bojee View Post
    Waaaaaaaaaaaa! I admire your courage bro.
    thanks for the concern guys.. I have it on good authority that it's no different from wrapping purpose-build spatulas with pec-pads - just much cheaper! as for the methanol... u'll find that its the same basic chemical in the "professional" cleaning fluids sold expensively in the stores!