Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Camera tripod and ballhead.

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Yong Peng, Johore, Malaysia
    Posts
    50

    Default Camera tripod and ballhead.

    Dear Moderators and friends,
    I would like to buy a set of lightweight tripod and ball head for traveling. My gears are Nikon D300s, Nikon 17-55 mm f/2.8, Nikon 18-200 mm VR and Tokina 11-16 mm f/2.8. At the moment, I have Manfrotto 190 X Pro Aluminium and Manfrotto 804 RC2. Should I buy : Manfrotto 190cx pro4 and manfrotto 498 RC2 (Total mass= 1.9 kg), or Sirui N1204 and G20 ball head ( Total mass= 1.32 kg), or Jusino AX-254 C and Photo Clam PC-33NS ball head ( Total mass= 1.34 kg ) ? Please kindly give me some advice.
    I wish to get a reliable set. Thank you.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Camera tripod and ballhead.

    think i rather go for the sirui n1204... since u already have a manfrotto set up, why dont get the sirui and another manfrotto head....

    my 2 cents...
    LORD of THe NoObs
    FLICKR

  3. #3
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Camera tripod and ballhead.

    Reading through the spec of the tripods, all of the tripods you mentioned could support your camera gear. So it is and as always, up to your own preference. I personally uses a Sirui and find their quality pretty alright.

  4. #4
    Member fmeeran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    834

    Default Re: Camera tripod and ballhead.

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Reading through the spec of the tripods, all of the tripods you mentioned could support your camera gear. So it is and as always, up to your own preference. I personally uses a Sirui and find their quality pretty alright.
    ^^ what he said.

    I find sirui quite good for travel. It's especially convenient as it fits inside my small suitcase that I check in. Leaves more weight capacity for my carry-on luggage.

    Getting the manfrotto head will make it easier to shift between heads with the same quick release plate. On the other hand, sirui head uses the much more universal arca type plate.
    Dxxxx | 35/1.8 | 50/1.8 | Tokina 28-70 | Panny G1 | 14-45 | 25/1.7
    My Flickr

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Yong Peng, Johore, Malaysia
    Posts
    50

    Default Re: Camera tripod and ballhead.

    Quote Originally Posted by fmeeran View Post
    ^^ what he said.

    I find sirui quite good for travel. It's especially convenient as it fits inside my small suitcase that I check in. Leaves more weight capacity for my carry-on luggage.

    Getting the manfrotto head will make it easier to shift between heads with the same quick release plate. On the other hand, sirui head uses the much more universal arca type plate.
    Thank you. If I buy Sirui N1204, please suggest the ball head I should get.

  6. #6
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Camera tripod and ballhead.

    Quote Originally Posted by cikguyan View Post
    Thank you. If I buy Sirui N1204, please suggest the ball head I should get.
    I would suggest that you calculate the load of your camera + lens + miscellaneous accessories such as external flash. Then see if whichever ballhead would withstand this weight. Please also remember that the given maximum load in the spec sheet normally only means that the weigh or force is being loaded vertically down. You have to take into consideration of your camera in weird angle.

    For me, normally I would divide the maximum load the ballhead by a factor of 3 (don't ask me why, I just do). And that would give me a very good representation of whether the ballhead could withstand my equipment load in strange angle.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Yong Peng, Johore, Malaysia
    Posts
    50

    Default Re: Camera tripod and ballhead.

    Quote Originally Posted by akerue View Post
    think i rather go for the sirui n1204... since u already have a manfrotto set up, why dont get the sirui and another manfrotto head....

    my 2 cents...
    May I know is Sirui N1204 compatible manfrotto 498 RC2 ?

  8. #8
    Member fmeeran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    834

    Default Re: Camera tripod and ballhead.

    Quote Originally Posted by cikguyan View Post
    May I know is Sirui N1204 compatible manfrotto 498 RC2 ?
    yes. you can use any head on any tripod (usually). the tripods all come with 1/4" and 3/16" threads.
    Dxxxx | 35/1.8 | 50/1.8 | Tokina 28-70 | Panny G1 | 14-45 | 25/1.7
    My Flickr

  9. #9
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    If you want to stick to Manfrotto plates, then the only Ballhead that will fit the sirui 1204 and still enable reverse fold, will be the 484 head. The new 494 comes with a friction knob which is better but the location of the friction knob will hinder the reverse fold partially, but will still fit the tripod bag

  10. #10
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    As for me I am using the t1004x with photo clam pc-36ns for travel.

  11. #11
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Camera tripod and ballhead.

    Quote Originally Posted by cikguyan View Post
    Dear Moderators and friends,
    I would like to buy a set of lightweight tripod and ball head for traveling. My gears are Nikon D300s, Nikon 17-55 mm f/2.8, Nikon 18-200 mm VR and Tokina 11-16 mm f/2.8. At the moment, I have Manfrotto 190 X Pro Aluminium and Manfrotto 804 RC2. Should I buy : Manfrotto 190cx pro4 and manfrotto 498 RC2 (Total mass= 1.9 kg), or Sirui N1204 and G20 ball head ( Total mass= 1.32 kg), or Jusino AX-254 C and Photo Clam PC-33NS ball head ( Total mass= 1.34 kg ) ? Please kindly give me some advice.
    I wish to get a reliable set. Thank you.
    Dear TS (cikguyan),
    your choice of tripod legs will be affected by:
    1) max height when deployed (comfortable for your regular use)
    2) length when folded
    3) weight
    4) other features like horizontal center column (which Manfrotto X-pro tripods have)
    5) price
    6) did I miss anything?

    for heads,
    1) type of clamp (proprietry to brand, eg. Manfrotto or arca-swiss type)
    2) type of head (pan/tilt or ball)
    3) load rating
    4) smoothness of operation of the knobs or levers, etc
    Exploring! :)

  12. #12
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Camera tripod and ballhead.

    TS can read this sticky thread created by CSer denniskee

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...nd-tripod-head
    Exploring! :)

  13. #13
    Member fmeeran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    834

    Default Re: Camera tripod and ballhead.

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    If you want to stick to Manfrotto plates, then the only Ballhead that will fit the sirui 1204 and still enable reverse fold, will be the 484 head. The new 494 comes with a friction knob which is better but the location of the friction knob will hinder the reverse fold partially, but will still fit the tripod bag
    ^^ I forgot all about the reverse folding problem!
    Dxxxx | 35/1.8 | 50/1.8 | Tokina 28-70 | Panny G1 | 14-45 | 25/1.7
    My Flickr

  14. #14
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fmeeran

    ^^ I forgot all about the reverse folding problem!
    The 484 will let you fold with no problems.

    I went through it all because I was formerly on rc2 plates. For local use I had a 190xprob with 488rc2. I got the 494 first fir the T1004x, but found out the issue with reverse fold. Switched to 484. And later I switched to Acra Swiss style clamps completely when I got rid of my 190xprob and all my Manfrotto heads.

    Now I don't even reverse fold anymore. But will do it once in a while when required.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 1st June 2011 at 05:02 PM.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Yong Peng, Johore, Malaysia
    Posts
    50

    Default Re: Camera tripod and ballhead.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Dear TS (cikguyan),
    your choice of tripod legs will be affected by:
    1) max height when deployed (comfortable for your regular use)
    2) length when folded
    3) weight
    4) other features like horizontal center column (which Manfrotto X-pro tripods have)
    5) price
    6) did I miss anything?

    for heads,
    1) type of clamp (proprietry to brand, eg. Manfrotto or arca-swiss type)
    2) type of head (pan/tilt or ball)
    3) load rating
    4) smoothness of operation of the knobs or levers, etc
    Thank you very much. If I want to buy Sirui N1204 tripod, please kindly help me to choose a ball head which you think is versatile and not too expensive. At the moment, my choices are Sirui G20, Sirui 10X, Sirui 20X, Manfrotto 484 ,Manfrotto 498 RC 2.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Yong Peng, Johore, Malaysia
    Posts
    50

    Default Re: Camera tripod and ballhead.

    Thanks for sharing with me. I really appreciate all of you.

  17. #17
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cikguyan

    Thank you very much. If I want to buy Sirui N1204 tripod, please kindly help me to choose a ball head which you think is versatile and not too expensive. At the moment, my choices are Sirui G20, Sirui 10X, Sirui 20X, Manfrotto 484 ,Manfrotto 498 RC 2.
    I recommend the sirui k20x for a strong value for money ball head.

  18. #18
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123

    I recommend the sirui k20x for a strong value for money ball head.
    Ya I think the K-ballheads have a better tensioning control knob, like the MARKINS ballheads ~hint hint~
    Exploring! :)

  19. #19
    Senior Member shierwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    3,334

    Default Re: Camera tripod and ballhead.

    Quote Originally Posted by fmeeran View Post
    yes. you can use any head on any tripod (usually). the tripods all come with 1/4" and 3/16" threads.
    Most tripods come with head mounts 1/4" or 3/8" threads.
    You can use heads with different threads on any tripod as is, or add either an adapter or a bushing
    Last edited by shierwin; 1st June 2011 at 10:58 PM. Reason: typo error

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cikguyan
    Thanks for sharing with me. I really appreciate all of you.
    Why not just get Sirui tripod with G20 or K series head? The head doesn't cost much and comes with the tripod. No need to worry this and that. And definitely it will hold your cam v well.

    The best is go down to shop with yr cam setup and test it yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •