Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: circular polarizer

Quote Originally Posted by philip827
    Thanks ppl...
    Hello student, you mean there is a certain degree to which u screw in the polariser? Unlike the UV filter whereby it is screwed all the way in.
    You can adjust the polariser to give you different degrees of polarisation. The rear end screws in normally onto the lens but the front end is adjustable. Buy one and you will see.

Oh i see.... thanks for sharing...
    noob here

Oh i see.... thanks for sharing...
    noob here
    Justarius had answered your question. Just to clarify and for you to experiment before you put the polariser to work.

1 Avoid stacking filters. Everytime a light ray passes through a lens/glass interface there is a potential for stray light causing loss of clarity. This is particularly so if you use "cheap" filters (I don't know if there are such things today!). So unscrew and remove the UV or skylight filter that most people put on the lens before you put on the polariser.

2 The polariser has two components. One is screwed on to the lens, the other rotate on the first one. Always rotate the rotating component in one direction - in the direction you screw in the first component, otherwise you may inadvertently unscrew the polariser.

3 To practice - try to look at a reflective surface such as a glass panel through the viewfinder and you will find that the reflection will diminish/ disappear when the rotation reaches a certain angle. That is the max effect you can have.

4 In shooting landscape, the tendency is for most "novice" to get the max "bluish" effect. Don't do that. The sky may be unnaturally blue ( and accentuating the white clouds as you alluded to earlier).

Thanks for the tips ppl!!!
    But really have to trry it out myself before i can fully understand...

So the idea is point ur camera at the direction u wanna shoot and then turn the polariser to the desired effect right?

Thanks for the tips ppl!!!
    But really have to trry it out myself before i can fully understand...

So the idea is point ur camera at the direction u wanna shoot and then turn the polariser to the desired effect right?
    Yup! But remember that if the light is facing you or behind you, the polariser will not work very well. For best effect, the light should be coming from your right or left.

hi i just bought from Cathay Peninsula.

1) Minolta Z1 Adapter ring - $25
    2) Tokina 52mm - Circular PL - $30
    3) 52mm lens cover - $5

price should be ok, right?

So Cathay is still more reliable in terms of pricing? Think I won't go to those neighbouring shops around Cathay again...
    ~ 迷失的我仍在努力寻找属于自己的蓝天 ~

if you are getting ordinary circular polariser, no need to measure the degree then screw. all the way in is your only solution...

oops... sorry, make some stupid mistake...
    please ignore the stupid msg by mi above...

Hello ppl... will be going for holiday trip to Bintan 2 weeks from now.
    Shd i go and purchase a circular polarizer?
    Went to one shop in peninsula plaza today and they are selling Hoya one for $110(abit ex?).

And would like to know when to put on/off the polarizer if i purchased one.
    Thanks in advance.
    get a konix brand... $25.. cheap n effective!

Is there any reliable places to recommend for getting cheap & good camera accessories (good service + willingness to explain things to a newbie will be added bonus)...

For lens/filters:

For memory cards:

For batteries:

For photography books:

For others:
    ~ 迷失的我仍在努力寻找属于自己的蓝天 ~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12