Thread: Some computer questions.

Default Some computer questions.

Hey Everyone,
    Just to say beforehand - I am considered one of those computer hardware idiots. I know computer hardware like a cat knows about swimming. So if I say anything silly, please pardon me.

I have a personal laptop and a normal desktop PC. Only my laptop has internet access because if virus attacks my laptop, I can still work with my PC.

But only my PC has CD-RW function.

Problem is, I have some rather huge files in my laptop and I will like to make use of my PC's CD-RW function so I can back up my files with CD copies.

Any way to connect my laptop to my PC so I can make use of the CD-RW function?

Any comments/advice/recommendation will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
    -Michelle-

few ways to go about it...

most laptops have ethernet built in, mostly 10/100, & if your PC is new, it might comes with it as well... if u dunno wat a ethernet port looks like, it looks like a bigger telephone jack... you can use a twisted cable to connect the PC together, if you are using windows... kinda complicated & i am not sure if you know wat i am talking about anyway.. (think i overshot... bang bang... die) its a faster way to transfer large files...

anyway... another item would be using a laplink cable, there is the usb version around... since i would suppose almost all current pc systems have usb... you can use the supplied software to connect the 2 system together for file transfer & also, when the files are transfered to the desktop, den the desktop can do the burning...

another option is to get a thumbdrive... but since i am not sure of what you talk about huge, to me my huge is about 4g... so that is taken care of by the dvd burner... anyway... if you buy a thumbdrive that exceeds the price of the external cdburner, den i would suggest you get the external cd burner for your laptop instead... (another idiotic suggestion from me... :x)
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

oh ya... just to add on my ranting...

if you use the ethernet 10/100 method, you may be able to share your cdrw drive on the desktop & usable on the laptop, but be noted, it may not have a perfect burn as the connection may get abit 'unstable' and may result in burning coasters for your coffee cups... so just copy the files to the desktop then start the burning process.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Well Michelle,

I would go the ethernet way then. Get both the notebook and desktop a network card each.

what you would need is a cross ethernet cable to connect between the two machines. transfer files that you want to burn from one to the other. then burn from the one with the CD-RW drive.

any other questions? can PM me if need help. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Adiemus
    Well Michelle,

I would go the ethernet way then. Get both the notebook and desktop a network card each.

what you would need is a cross ethernet cable to connect between the two machines. transfer files that you want to burn from one to the other. then burn from the one with the CD-RW drive.

any other questions? can PM me if need help. cheers
    Yeah, I'd also suggest that. I do have a usb-usb connection wire tho. But if u're looking for long-term sol'n, then it'd be better to go network.