Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 36789 LastLast

Thread: Recommend DSLR for PnS/Super-Zoom upgrader

Default Re: Recommend DSLR for PnS/Super-Zoom upgrader

I understand what you mean. I also hate the waiting game

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Many pple here are very nice one. Won't whack pple (but may do something else instead :P)

I don't like to chase after products that "don't know when will release", it can be 3 months or more and during this period you can be already playing around and having fun with ur camera. Plus, do you really need to chase after all the latest gadgets? (at least I don't...)
    Canon EOS 600D | BBB virus carrier

Blog Entries

After holding my 500D for sometime, anything above a entry level camera is heavy....
    I find anything below semi-pro camera to be all very light.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I find anything below semi-pro camera to be all very light.
    lol....just curious, is this the reason why many photos who uses semi pro to pro level cameras uses black rapid or similar concept camera straps because it's too much for the neck to bear?
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

I have narrowed down to Canon 60D, Canon 600D, Sony A55 and Nikon 5100. I'm enjoying this process of choosing my first DSLR but also quite headache

Quote Originally Posted by Tucksoon View Post
    I have narrowed down to Canon 60D, Canon 600D, Sony A55 and Nikon 5100. I'm enjoying this process of choosing my first DSLR but also quite headache
    The last step to your first step is to follow your heart
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

My heart and head like P.A.P and WP leh

The last step to your first step is to follow your heart

all those cameras would be a good choice but do take note the Sony A55 has an electronic view finder instead of an optical view finder which is a big deal breaker IMO maybe its just me but i prefer to actually see what the lens is seeing than just a video on a small screen ... an OVF has no time lag, no resolution limits, and can show all the clarity the lens and the human eye can produce. your going to have your eye stuck half an inch to that thing ( EVF )for a long time so i suggest you take that into consideration before deciding on the Sony A55
    Last edited by wasak2000; 5th June 2011 at 12:41 AM.
    D3100

Quote Originally Posted by wasak2000 View Post
    all those cameras would be a good choice but do take note the Sony A55 has an electronic view finder instead of an optical view finder which is a big deal breaker IMO maybe its just me but i prefer to actually see what the lens is seeing than just a video on a small screen ... an OVF has no time lag, no resolution limits, and can show all the clarity the lens and the human eye can produce. your going to have your eye stuck half an inch to that thing ( EVF )for a long time so i suggest you take that into consideration before deciding on the Sony A55
    english correction:

and can show all the clarity the lens can produce and the human eye can see. your going to have your eye stuck half an inch to that thing ( EVF )for a long time so i suggest you take that into consideration before deciding on the Sony A55
    before a fanboy like you introduces some misconceptions, in darker places, through an OVF you can't see anything. but through the EVF, you can see reasonably good enough. and benefit of an EVF is real-time changes to the image in terms of exposure and white balance. it's not a deal breaker for me, but rather a benefit if you can see it (the benefits).

and honestly... why would anyone stick their eye to the EVF/OVF for a long time? i wouldn't. and what's your definition of long?

if you're using the A55, other benefits include full time Phase Detection AF and the light weight compact body construction.

so i suggest you take that into consideration before deciding on the Sony A55
    so you're telling the TS that in your opinion that the A55 is not a good camera? not a fair opinion to me. unless your english is too poor to phrase the sentence correctly to be an actual fair opinion.
    Last edited by kei1309; 5th June 2011 at 01:28 AM.

Don't fight don't fight. If there is one thing I learn from my comeback to Clubsnap is: There is no bad camera

Don't fight don't fight. If there is one thing I learn from my comeback to Clubsnap is: There is no bad camera
    not intending to fight, but to correct misconceptions and miscommunication

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    before a fanboy like you introduces some misconceptions, in darker places, through an OVF you can't see anything. but through the EVF, you can see reasonably good enough. and benefit of an EVF is real-time changes to the image in terms of exposure and white balance. it's not a deal breaker for me, but rather a benefit if you can see it (the benefits).
    In darker places, sometimes the EVF can boost the it up to make it brighter. But sometimes it makes it worse. And when the light starts to change, the sky becomes very bright compared to the ground, that is the point where you will EVF will lose out to your own eyes and using an OVF will be much more useful.

Blog Entries

lol....just curious, is this the reason why many photos who uses semi pro to pro level cameras uses black rapid or similar concept camera straps because it's too much for the neck to bear?
    erm, I was using a d700 with grip and a 85/1.4 yesterday with a neck strap. it really depends. I use my black rapid if I am shooting the whole day.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123

In darker places, sometimes the EVF can boost the it up to make it brighter. But sometimes it makes it worse. And when the light starts to change, the sky becomes very bright compared to the ground, that is the point where you will EVF will lose out to your own eyes and using an OVF will be much more useful.
    But still useful eh? Haha. Ok ok no more before that evf and mirrorless proponent comes back.

TS..

im also S5IS user before i upgraded to A55..
    if u like EVF in ur S5IS, then u will love EVF in A55..

tho sometime i miss the OVF my old SLR offered..

happy deciding..
    ~PeaceNoWar~

I am not sure what is the problem with OVF and EVF. If my canon would give me a EVF, I will dig into it. I love the A55's EVF, no problem there. The only problem is... I have too many canon lenses to jump ship and to me... Canon is still a fabulous system (i love my 7D so far and the 40D before it).

So TS, just play around with the cameras and see which one you like. All those that you have listed are good camera, you won't go wrong with either one you choose. Happy hunting

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    english correction:

and honestly... why would anyone stick their eye to the EVF/OVF for a long time? i wouldn't. and what's your definition of long?

if you're using the A55, other benefits include full time Phase Detection AF and the light weight compact body construction.

so you're telling the TS that in your opinion that the A55 is not a good camera? not a fair opinion to me. unless your english is too poor to phrase the sentence correctly to be an actual fair opinion.

maybe you should read up on what the term fanboy really means before you use it

here let me help you

Definition of a fan boy:is a pejorative term used to describe an individual who is utterly devoted to a single fannish subject, or to a single point of view within that subject, often to the point where it is considered an obsession. Fanboys remain loyal to their particular obsession, disregarding any factors (often including logic) that differ from their point of view.

obviously your confused... and should look at yourself in the mirror I'm not the one whose panties are all bunched up because someone gave a different opinion on my favorite camera

let me repost a couple of lines again since obviously your simple mind have difficulty in grasping the point i was trying to make..

"the Sony A55 has an electronic view finder instead of an optical view finder which is a big deal breaker IMO maybe its just me but i prefer to actually see what the lens is seeing than just a video on a small screen ..."

you know what IMO means? or do i still need to explain it to you? the post was not a statement of fact its was an OPINION its up to the TS how to interpret that..

really? this is what you got from this post?

"your going to have your eye stuck half an inch to that thing ( EVF )for a long time so i suggest you take that into consideration before deciding on the Sony A55"

even a 5 year old would understand what i was trying to say...

"long time" as in the whole 3-5 years he is going to use that camera... maybe you have the EVF confused with the articulated LCD screen... anyway to help you out ( cause you obviously need it ) and make you understand

the point i was trying to make was that the TS was going to use or have his eye into the EVF/OVF ( which by the way is what most of us do when composing a shot unless you are inlove with the articulated LCD screen ) the whole time he will own that camera and that makes it a very important factor in his decision.. so he should consider the pros and cons of EVF that before deciding (is this clear enough for you or do i need to draw pictures?)

nowhere in the post did i say that the Sony A55 was not a good camera only an overly sensitive narrow minded Sony fanboy would think that..

and really? english advice coming from you? please make sure that your grasp of the English language is competent enough ( like your reading comprehension of what i posted ) before you make corrections on my post its just pathetic when a nitpicker quibble on every little unimportant detail just to get his dimwitted point across
    Last edited by wasak2000; 5th June 2011 at 01:39 PM.
    D3100

I see bro. Thanks for your advice! I wonder how many bro and sis are like us?

Quote Originally Posted by intrance View Post
    TS..

im also S5IS user before i upgraded to A55..
    if u like EVF in ur S5IS, then u will love EVF in A55..

tho sometime i miss the OVF my old SLR offered..

happy deciding..

Yeah. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    I am not sure what is the problem with OVF and EVF. If my canon would give me a EVF, I will dig into it. I love the A55's EVF, no problem there. The only problem is... I have too many canon lenses to jump ship and to me... Canon is still a fabulous system (i love my 7D so far and the 40D before it).

So TS, just play around with the cameras and see which one you like. All those that you have listed are good camera, you won't go wrong with either one you choose. Happy hunting

Having gone through an entry SLR to compact superzoom to 4/3 over 12 months, I think I can give this a go.

As for type of photography, the lens is the bigger driver than the body unless u are into pro-photography. In yr case, the wedding is once off, what's after?

Firstly, must keep in mind that my objective was 'better travel pics' than my minature compact. What I wanted was better IQ and a longer zoom to catch those situations compared to my minature compact.

It was a toss between the entry D3000 and the NX10. Took the D3000. Preferred the OVF as I can see lighting situations better than EVF which is always bright.

The first trip worked out quite well. I was in a group and transport was provided, made it easy to bring that n tripod n stuff.

The second trip was free and easy, my travels are mostly this type. Suddenly the cam weighed a ton hanging round my neck the entire day while walking. Pics were great but it was finding it's way into the backpack, not a good way to be always ready and I wanted a bit more zoom.

A soul, i mean cam, searching followed. The compact superzoom looked like the answer to my woes. Yes the IQ isn't fantastic, but a bit of IQ for my neck sounds reasonable. So P100 it is.

Third trip followed. Cam worked great as thought. No neckaches, long zoom, small n easy to keep. At return, on a 24 inch monitor.........it's back to the shops.....after enjoying D3000 quality, kinda hard to step back. Don't get me wrong, it's still a big step up from the compact in terms what you can do and better quality pics. From prints, you can't really tell.

So what's left. 4/3, perhaps the NX10 was the better choice. Settled on the Oly EPL2 for reasons of larger lens choice.

Fourth trip followed. So far so good. Great pics, reasonable weight. Sold the 2 kit lenses n got the 14-150. I've seen places so dusty you'll be reluctant to bring out the cam let alone swap lens and for travel, swapping is also an iffy option.

So what's next? Eyeing the 5100, but the weight question hangs heavy.

Thanks for sharing your experience! It's very useful for upgraders like me

Quote Originally Posted by qystan View Post
    Having gone through an entry SLR to compact superzoom to 4/3 over 12 months, I think I can give this a go.

As for type of photography, the lens is the bigger driver than the body unless u are into pro-photography. In yr case, the wedding is once off, what's after?

Firstly, must keep in mind that my objective was 'better travel pics' than my minature compact. What I wanted was better IQ and a longer zoom to catch those situations compared to my minature compact.

It was a toss between the entry D3000 and the NX10. Took the D3000. Preferred the OVF as I can see lighting situations better than EVF which is always bright.

The first trip worked out quite well. I was in a group and transport was provided, made it easy to bring that n tripod n stuff.

The second trip was free and easy, my travels are mostly this type. Suddenly the cam weighed a ton hanging round my neck the entire day while walking. Pics were great but it was finding it's way into the backpack, not a good way to be always ready and I wanted a bit more zoom.

A soul, i mean cam, searching followed. The compact superzoom looked like the answer to my woes. Yes the IQ isn't fantastic, but a bit of IQ for my neck sounds reasonable. So P100 it is.

Third trip followed. Cam worked great as thought. No neckaches, long zoom, small n easy to keep. At return, on a 24 inch monitor.........it's back to the shops.....after enjoying D3000 quality, kinda hard to step back. Don't get me wrong, it's still a big step up from the compact in terms what you can do and better quality pics. From prints, you can't really tell.

So what's left. 4/3, perhaps the NX10 was the better choice. Settled on the Oly EPL2 for reasons of larger lens choice.

Fourth trip followed. So far so good. Great pics, reasonable weight. Sold the 2 kit lenses n got the 14-150. I've seen places so dusty you'll be reluctant to bring out the cam let alone swap lens and for travel, swapping is also an iffy option.

So what's next? Eyeing the 5100, but the weight question hangs heavy.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 36789 LastLast