Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Portrait Lens, or a lens that can be use for shooting portraits?

Default Re: Portrait Lens, or a lens that can be use for shooting portraits?

Quote Originally Posted by biggorilla View Post
    Firstly, Nice... 100 mm macro is truly delicious....

Secondly, 100mm falls within the range of 24 to 135.. these numbers is usually a good range for shooting portraits.. you wouldnt want to get a 500mm and stand soooo far away from the model that she would start to wonder if she got BO.
    All we are saying is that don't limit yourself to that range of focal lengths, like what catchlights said, all lenses can be use to take portraits it just depends on your needs. If you usually use 24mm to 135mm I respect that but there are a lot of people using 200mm and above for portrait shots. For example, the 200mm f2 for both canon and nikon are very popular portrait lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by biggorilla View Post
    so would you use a 500mm?? fish eye is still ok if you want something really funky and creative to do like what you said getting what you want... tilt shift is also ok... but when one refers to Portrait lens it is usually to refer to the classics 35, 50 and 85.

got this from the net........................
    Did you read my post carefully?
    seem like you ONLY read the FIRST part.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    read my lips.....

ANY lens can use for shooting portrait, as long it can give you the effect you want.
    you use a lens is because it can give you a effect you are looking for, NOT the other way round, this is also applies to any genre of photography, be it landscape or sports.

anyway, 300mmf2.8 are commonly used for fashion photographers to shoot full length shots fashion spread, 20mm or 24mm even fishey lens are commonly used to shoot environmental portraits for corporate or industrial shoots.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

So i am just going to close with this summary of what i meant,

There is no Official Lens called Portrait Lens. It is just a term used to describe a set of lens used commonly for Portrait shots.. the classic Portrait shots. Just like there is a set of lens that is used for Landscape Shots, which some will call Landscape lens. Or Sports Lens.

When I shoot Portrait shots for couples I use 24-105 f 4, 50 f1.4 and 85 f 1.2.

And like the TS asked... "If there really have lens or lenses termed as portrait lens? Or rather simply just lenses that are good and useful for doing portrait shots."

And I say "Certain lens are termed as Portrait Lens becoz they ARE good and useful for doing portrait.. They are only TERMED as Portrait... they are RECOMMENDED as portrait lens..." If you have the budget and the space then by all means go with a 500mm.. but for me Portrait lens will forever be 35,50,85 and 135 (which includes the macro 50 and 100).

THank you, Good night and thanks for coming....
    Canon 5D MK II + 24-105 L| Sony A700 + 18-250 + 50F1.4 + Sigma 170-500

HI Catchlights...

sorry for the misunderstanding.. maybe i also should have made a bit clear on my part.. when i refer to portraits i refer to peoples portraits shots... that is also what the TS and i were discussing...and oh yeah i did read it, dude there was only like 2 lines.... i got what you meant. all i am saying to the ts is what are the common ones that are used for people and are easily accessible...

Also i did mention that fish eye can be used and also the range most people use are 24-105...

Deregistered

no offence, but the two of you, wmwoon & biggorilla, seriously need to get a life, man. this is the kind of arguments that just boil people up... why dont you both let your photos do the talking?

please post something that will benefit others, rather than just proving your dumbass point to a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazmism View Post
    no offence, but the two of you, wmwoon & biggorilla, seriously need to get a life, man. this is the kind of arguments that just boil people up... why dont you both let your photos do the talking?

please post something that will benefit others, rather than just proving your dumbass point to a friend.
    Woah chill man, its just a discussion and no one is really boiled up here (except you maybe)

as long as the subject IS CHIO.... si mi lens used also shoik...

settled...
    Take both its legs down first, then cuts its tail, next is shoot between its eyes:devil:

Quote Originally Posted by GENO View Post
    as long as the subject IS CHIO.... si mi lens used also shoik...

settled...
    you forgot to mention that the attire must be extremely revealing... and the model must have good curves... and must be an XMM

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    you forgot to mention that the attire must be extremely revealing... and the model must have good curves... and must be an XMM

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Woah chill man, its just a discussion and no one is really boiled up here (except you maybe)

Lets not be stumped by the trifles of terminology, and the nity gritties of technicalities.

You basically want the perfect portrait lens to have the least unflattering distortion to flatter your non flattering subject for the view you are taking, be it half or full body shots. And having the ability to have arty farty background blur rendition control

This is the ideal portrait lens

A 240mm f1.2 for a 6x7 format.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy
    Lets not be stumped by the trifles of terminology, and the nity gritties of technicalities.

You basically want the perfect portrait lens to have the least unflattering distortion to flatter your non flattering subject for the view you are taking, be it half or full body shots. And having the ability to have arty farty background blur rendition control

This is the ideal portrait lens

A 240mm f1.2 for a 6x7 format.

Ryan
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Just use a tokina 11-16mm then go reli reli near about 2 boobs length away from the person then shoot .. now that's portrait lens, the other one will be 8mm fisheye lens, make the person look like cartoon, that's creative portrait or a 1200mm prime with a canon 2X and shoot, that's lengthy portrait ..
    If the photo i took is 1% unclear, I will rather delete .. www.flickr.com/photos/59837685@N03/

Quote Originally Posted by canonmono
    Just use a tokina 11-16mm then go reli reli near about 2 boobs length away from the person then shoot .. now that's portrait lens, the other one will be 8mm fisheye lens, make the person look like cartoon, that's creative portrait or a 1200mm prime with a canon 2X and shoot, that's lengthy portrait ..
    Two boobs length?

Quote Originally Posted by canonmono View Post
    Haha how to measure 2 boobs length? Like that not standard leh, diff model have diff boob length

This is interesting. Actually some people do use 200mm or more for portraiture.
    It really depends on your style, really.

Quote Originally Posted by canonmono
    Can I have some of what you're smoking?
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Quote Originally Posted by canonmono View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Haha how to measure 2 boobs length? Like that not standard leh, diff model have diff boob length
    with that lens at that kind of distance, will sure make anyone looks like Dolly Patdon.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    with that lens at that kind of distance, will sure make anyone looks like Dolly Patdon.
    Haha might be a good thing with not-so-well-endowed models

you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast