Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Thread: Portrait Lens, or a lens that can be use for shooting portraits?

  1. #1

    Default Portrait Lens, or a lens that can be use for shooting portraits?

    My friend and I had short debate regarding something as minor as this. If there really have lens or lenses termed as portrait lens?

    Or rather simply just lenses that are good and useful for doing portrait shots. I'm not really convinced that there are lenses that are called portrait lens. If so, then what are the other lenses called?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Portrait Lens, or a lens that can be use for shooting portraits?

    landscape lens
    macro lens
    xmm lens

    lol.

  3. #3
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default Re: Portrait Lens, or a lens that can be use for shooting portraits?

    Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    landscape lens
    macro lens
    xmm lens

    lol.
    What he said. Only the pros use this terminology.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  4. #4

    Default Re: Portrait Lens, or a lens that can be use for shooting portraits?

    Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    landscape lens
    insect lens
    xmm lens

    lol.
    fixed?

  5. #5
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth
    landscape len
    marco len
    xmm len

    lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by symmetrix

    fixed?
    Actually.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  6. #6

    Default

    No one mentioned the wedding lens? Or the flower lens? Or the sports lens? Or the insect lens? Or the streets lens? Or the animal and wildlife lens? Or the events lens? Or the james bond spy lens?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Portrait Lens, or a lens that can be use for shooting portraits?

    Hahaha...haven't showed him the replies..
    Certain terminologies I can understand why so...ie, macro lens, zoom lens, tilt-shift lens, etc..
    I have no issues with industry terminologies...

    I just want to clarify things like these up with a friend...like lens use for landscape shoots, portrait shoots, etc...instead of telling me there is a portrait lens, where it's just a lens that is good for use to shoot portraits...

    haha..anyways..

  8. #8

    Default

    Omg-wtf-did-i-just-shoot lens.

    Best lens ever. Very rare

  9. #9

    Default Re: Portrait Lens, or a lens that can be use for shooting portraits?

    Hahaha...just sent him a link to view the thread..

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Somewhere near you.Look behind
    Posts
    118

    Default Re: Portrait Lens, or a lens that can be use for shooting portraits?

    sigh.. sometimes my fren woon is a bit slow to understand things...

    This link, http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=27645546 best answers what Portrait Lens are..

    When I refer or most ppl refer to portrait lens, it refers to a set of lens that are best.. eg the classics like 35, 50 and 85... some even can use 24-105 or the even the 50 macro or 100 macro... would you use to shoot a portraitur with a 70-200 or 300 or 500... especially indoors with limited space?? No you would use the 50 or 85 or even 35..... and if you have the space like outdoors are you seriously gonna use a 70 -200 or if you got the budget a 500 mm to shoot a portraiture??

    Why the pros like to class lens into certain terms like sports and landscape and even portraiture is because certain lens only can to a certain job... no pro is going to call a 50mm a wildlife lens and take one out to got shoot lions... YES i agree that the 85 is not called a Portrait lens... ITS a PRIME lens.... BUT it is classed in a group that some call a portrait lens.. just like some would class 70-200 f 2.8 not sports lens, they would class 500 f4 into wildlife lens....

    so elevenith what are the lens classified under Landscape lens?? in the canon website or nikon website are they classified as landscape lens? or as wide-angle or what?? someone had decided to coin the term Landscape Lens and advised what lens were suitable.. so the same thing with Portrait Lens...

    So remember, just becoz one is now doing a part time degree at some uni and studying one module of photography in 6 months doesnt make you suddenly the resident expert in photography.... hahaha
    Last edited by biggorilla; 30th May 2011 at 01:12 PM.
    Canon 5D MK II + 24-105 L| Sony A700 + 18-250 + 50F1.4 + Sigma 170-500

  11. #11
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Portrait Lens, or a lens that can be use for shooting portraits?

    read my lips.....

    ANY lens can use for shooting portrait, as long it can give you the effect you want.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  12. #12
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default

    If I had a 70-200 f2.8 IS like someone I know, I'll use it for portrait also. Heck, I'll mount it on permanently and use it for everything.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  13. #13

    Default Re: Portrait Lens, or a lens that can be use for shooting portraits?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    read my lips.....

    ANY lens can use for shooting portrait, as long it can give you the effect you want.
    Uncle catchlights, I have to see your lip to read your lips!! I agree with this, I always use my macro lens to shoot portraits

  14. #14

    Default Re: Portrait Lens, or a lens that can be use for shooting portraits?

    Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    If I had a 70-200 f2.8 IS like someone I know, I'll use it for portrait also. Heck, I'll mount it on permanently and use it for everything.
    Slap on a Raynox? Need special adaptor leh

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Somewhere near you.Look behind
    Posts
    118

    Default Re: Portrait Lens, or a lens that can be use for shooting portraits?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    read my lips.....

    ANY lens can use for shooting portrait, as long it can give you the effect you want.
    so would you use a 500mm?? fish eye is still ok if you want something really funky and creative to do like what you said getting what you want... tilt shift is also ok... but when one refers to Portrait lens it is usually to refer to the classics 35, 50 and 85.

    got this from the net

    "Quote:
    Originally Posted by zacker
    If your a working, pro Portrait photog.. what Is your honest Opinion here, what is the BEST lens for Portrait work.. what is the absolute end-all lens to shoot portraits with?
    Additional thoughts.....

    What DISTANCE do you desire to shoot portraits at?

    How much of the subject(s) do you want to include in your photos?

    These issues and others like the camera's format (size of the film frame or digital sensor) will really dictate the focal length range that you are looking for.

    Prior to even considering other's recommendations, you need to know all the variables involved. What I suggest you do is to determine the focal length range you would be interested in using and then ask your question like this: What is your recommendation for the best lens to use for portraits on a 350D with a focal length between 50mm and 60mm? or like this: What is your recommendation for the best lens to use for head-and-shoulder portraits of individual subjects in a small indoor studio (15 by 15 feet)?

    Do you understand where I am coming from? It's like asking what the best automobile in the world is. There are so many possible answers, but the reasons for the choices are widely varied - based on the projected USE of the automobile. A Rolls-Royce would not be a suitable automobile for competing in a dirt-track race, for example.
    __________________
    Skip Douglas
    A few cameras and over 40 years behind them .....
    ..... but still learning all the time.


    also read this http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/004jZO
    Canon 5D MK II + 24-105 L| Sony A700 + 18-250 + 50F1.4 + Sigma 170-500

  16. #16

    Default Re: Portrait Lens, or a lens that can be use for shooting portraits?

    Quote Originally Posted by biggorilla View Post
    sigh.. sometimes my fren woon is a bit slow to understand things...

    This link, http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=27645546 best answers what Portrait Lens are..

    When I refer or most ppl refer to portrait lens, it refers to a set of lens that are best.. eg the classics like 35, 50 and 85... some even can use 24-105 or the even the 50 macro or 100 macro... would you use to shoot a portraitur with a 70-200 or 300 or 500... especially indoors with limited space?? No you would use the 50 or 85 or even 35..... and if you have the space like outdoors are you seriously gonna use a 70 -200 or if you got the budget a 500 mm to shoot a portraiture??

    Why the pros like to class lens into certain terms like sports and landscape and even portraiture is because certain lens only can to a certain job... no pro is going to call a 50mm a wildlife lens and take one out to got shoot lions... YES i agree that the 85 is not called a Portrait lens... ITS a PRIME lens.... BUT it is classed in a group that some call a portrait lens.. just like some would class 70-200 f 2.8 not sports lens, they would class 500 f4 into wildlife lens....

    so elevenith what are the lens classified under Landscape lens?? in the canon website or nikon website are they classified as landscape lens? or as wide-angle or what?? someone had decided to coin the term Landscape Lens and advised what lens were suitable.. so the same thing with Portrait Lens...

    So remember, just becoz one is now doing a part time degree at some uni and studying one module of photography in 6 months doesnt make you suddenly the resident expert in photography.... hahaha
    Eh? I always call my 50mm a reverse macro lens leh does it matter what you call it? I don't see anything wrong with shooting portrait with a 300 or 500mm lens, its all up to personal shooting style and preference.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Somewhere near you.Look behind
    Posts
    118

    Default Re: Portrait Lens, or a lens that can be use for shooting portraits?

    nothing wrong with macro lens to use for portraiture.. what is it?? 50mm or 100mm??
    Canon 5D MK II + 24-105 L| Sony A700 + 18-250 + 50F1.4 + Sigma 170-500

  18. #18

    Default Re: Portrait Lens, or a lens that can be use for shooting portraits?

    Quote Originally Posted by biggorilla View Post
    nothing wrong with macro lens to use for portraiture.. what is it?? 50mm or 100mm??
    100mm with 9 blades, delicious bokeh

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Somewhere near you.Look behind
    Posts
    118

    Default Re: Portrait Lens, or a lens that can be use for shooting portraits?

    but why if you out on a shoot would you need to put your model soo far away that you would need to use the 300 or 500 to shoot your portraiture?? why would you spend soo much on a lens for that?? Like i said, when people say Portrait lens, they refer to a set of classic lens that are usually used for portraits, lens that are affordable and makes sense and accessible...

    then what are Landsacpe lens??
    What are Sports Lens?
    Canon 5D MK II + 24-105 L| Sony A700 + 18-250 + 50F1.4 + Sigma 170-500

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Somewhere near you.Look behind
    Posts
    118

    Default Re: Portrait Lens, or a lens that can be use for shooting portraits?

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    100mm with 9 blades, delicious bokeh
    Firstly, Nice... 100 mm macro is truly delicious....

    Secondly, 100mm falls within the range of 24 to 135.. these numbers is usually a good range for shooting portraits.. you wouldnt want to get a 500mm and stand soooo far away from the model that she would start to wonder if she got BO.
    Canon 5D MK II + 24-105 L| Sony A700 + 18-250 + 50F1.4 + Sigma 170-500

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •