Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: needs recommendation on lens

Default needs recommendation on lens

hi all,

i am a dslr newbie

i will need a lens that can be used for taking moving people/object at a short distance-10m or so. i would like something that can do a close zoom to the upper body.
    btw, do i need a lens with usm at that high price? as people sometimes walk at fast pace

i am planning to get the 50mm 1.8 as it just me $100. will it be gd for a noob to take gd pics from it?

thx alot
    regards

Default Re: needs recommendation on lens

It would help if you provided some specific information -- are you using a crop/full-frame DSLR, what lenses you have now, etc.
    10m isn't really short distance. You wouldn't be able to get the crop you need with a 50mm lens. You'd need a tele or telezoom (55-250, 70-200).
    USM or conventional micromotor? Up to you of course. Do your own cost-benefit analysis. I have a 90s Canon USM lens that is incredibly quick. Had a Sigma 70-300 before that -- good image quality, but AF was terrible!
    BTW, 'people walking fast' 10m away should not be a problem -- bone up on your technique. If they are walking across your field of view, you will either need to keep them on the active focus point (or pre-focus). If they are walking towards/away from you, you can shoot with continuous AF (or pre-focus).

Blog Entries

With no other information provided, I would recommend the 24-70/2.8L

i m deciding to get the 7D with the 15-135mm kit lens or the 17-85 IS USM lens as my starter kit. The price of these 2 kits have a $400-500 in difference. Thus not planning to get the 24-70/2.8L which is too Exp

By the way, will it be a better combination for me to get the body with the 18-55 IS and the 55-250 IS compare over with the 2 kits??

But still thx for the recommendation so far

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ErikaT
    i m deciding to get the 7D with the 15-135mm kit lens or the 17-85 IS USM lens as my starter kit. The price of these 2 kits have a $400-500 in difference. Thus not planning to get the 24-70/2.8L which is too Exp

By the way, will it be a better combination for me to get the body with the 18-55 IS and the 55-250 IS compare over with the 2 kits??

But still thx for the recommendation so far
    I think you meant 18-135mm kit lens. The 17-85 should be replaced by the 15-85 if I am not wrong. Heard lots of good things about the 15-85. Quite a sharp lens and the 15mm wide end is very useful in landscape photography.

I think you'll save a lot more money now and in the long run if you just get the 24-70L so you don't need to end up buying a whole bunch of other lenses and have to sell them if you're not happy.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

frankly speaking, i only have about 3k+/- to spend on everything, hoping to get the dry box and a lens hood also

I wish I have 3k to spend

frankly speaking, i only have about 3k+/- to spend on everything, hoping to get the dry box and a lens hood also
    Go for 60d plus lens and you'll have alot more room to play with.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Quote Originally Posted by ErikaT View Post
    A set of used 7D + 17-55mm should be within ur budget.

some of my friends are telling me the same thing, go for 60d. However i m a person that wants to get something that can last, thus 7d will be a better choice for me.

on the other hand, i m not planning to get many lens

7 d with17-55 with cost about 2.5 k first hand

some of my friends are telling me the same thing, go for 60d. However i m a person that wants to get something that can last, thus 7d will be a better choice for me.

That's what I said when I started. Actually. That's what almost all the people here did. You only find you need a new lens as your needs change. Now you think you'll be happy with xyz but 3 months later you have 10 other things that you were sure you'll never get.

If you already know what you want, you don't need any further advise now hey?
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

7 d with17-55 with cost about 2.5 k first hand
    Where to buy above at 2.5K?
    Local Canon warranty set?

60D will last as much as the 7D unless you are doing acid test on them
    You have not provided much information on the type of photography you are trying to do.
    In fact it seems a bit like snooping or voyerism
    10m is really quite far.
    I'd recommend a 50-200mm if its really 10m. Can't you go nearer?
    In fact, if you have $3k to spend, I'd recommend a 600D with a 70-200/2.8 and a Tamron 17-50/2.8

wow 1st of all thx for all the comments

10m will be the most i think...............can go closer till 3m

for the body, 600D i think it is not really suits me as i m planning to go for some F1 actions here

many shops sell 7d body with 17-55 IS at about 2.5k+/-

Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    That's what I said when I started. Actually. That's what almost all the people here did. You only find you need a new lens as your needs change. Now you think you'll be happy with xyz but 3 months later you have 10 other things that you were sure you'll never get.

If you already know what you want, you don't need any further advise now hey?

wow you are under the line with my mum, thinking i will spend alots of $ on lens
    actually i m just a simple person who wants to take clear pics of the people that i like

wow 1st of all thx for all the comments

10m will be the most i think...............can go closer till 3m

for the body, 600D i think it is not really suits me as i m planning to go for some F1 actions here

many shops sell 7d body with 17-55 IS at about 2.5k+/-
    I think wat many are saying is 60D and not 600D. 60D is still a semi pro body that is pretty quick, but it is your choice if you think 7D works for you better.

As for the cost of 7D with 17-55mm IS cannot be 2.5k. I just got my 7D after many quotation from different shops (1 or 2 months ago), and that is only for body, and that had already cost me S$2200 (cheapest I can find in Funan). a 17-55mm IS would easily cost up to S$1500 (1st hand), and it was not offer as a kit lens to your camera. What I can think of is 18-55mm IS which is very cheap. And that combination will get you close to the S$2.5K mark.

Note that 18-55mm IS is no doubt a beautiful and great little lens, but its IQ is not as good as the 17-55mm f2.8 IS.

From what I know and would advise was for you to go for the 7D with 15-85mm lens, this lens is a great piece of work (heard lots and lots of favourable reviews on it), and the range covered would give you coverage for a wide range of photography... which will tie you through till you have polished your skills enough and think of getting better quality lens such as the 24-70mm L lens and the 70-200 f2.8L.

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123

I think wat many are saying is 60D and not 600D. 60D is still a semi pro body that is pretty quick, but it is your choice if you think 7D works for you better.

As for the cost of 7D with 17-55mm IS cannot be 2.5k. I just got my 7D after many quotation from different shops (1 or 2 months ago), and that is only for body, and that had already cost me S$2200 (cheapest I can find in Funan). a 17-55mm IS would easily cost up to S$1500 (1st hand), and it was not offer as a kit lens to your camera. What I can think of is 18-55mm IS which is very cheap. And that combination will get you close to the S$2.5K mark.

Note that 18-55mm IS is no doubt a beautiful and great little lens, but its IQ is not as good as the 17-55mm f2.8 IS.

From what I know and would advise was for you to go for the 7D with 15-85mm lens, this lens is a great piece of work (heard lots and lots of favourable reviews on it), and the range covered would give you coverage for a wide range of photography... which will tie you through till you have polished your skills enough and think of getting better quality lens such as the 24-70mm L lens and the 70-200 f2.8L.
    The 7d body at the camera workshop is $2100.

+1 for the 7d 15-85 setup as well.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    The 7d body at the camera workshop is $2100.
    Wat? Shxt... I always have this impression that camera workshop only sell 2nd hand products so I didn't bother calling them up for a quote... damnit!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast