Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it sufficient for HK trip?

Default Re: Is it sufficient for HK trip?

sometimes less is more. 24-70 will be enough. bring extra batteries as others said. Bring tripod only if you want to shoot some decent panoramas (you said minimum landscape, i guess scrap this idea), d700's iso is enough to handheld anytime during the night with 24-70 f2.8 so u should be fine. although for your case, a wide angle prime would be best haha (somewhere from 24mm to 35mm.., light, good and fast)
    M10|M6 Millenium|50mm f1 e58|35 f1.4 FLE|35mm f2 V1 germany|15mm V f4.5 VIII|50mm Zeiss f2

My last trip out to japan, although i had a bag filled with 5 lenses with me, e 24-70mm was stucked to my D3s most of e time when i was enjoying e view and such. Very versatile len. Only regret was that i sold off my d700 after i got my D3s. I really appreciate e smaller body and e lighter weight, not to mention getting less attention from e people around. i am sure you will do fine with your D700 + 24-70mm
    "The most important piece of equipment in your bag is your attitude" -Joe McNally

i say, bring 1 lens there and bring 2 more back... the lens in hk is cheap cheap...
    http://www.EdmundPhoto.com
    for Weddings, Family Portraits, Executive Portraits, etc

Just got back from HK.. and yes please bring less lens.. as you will bring more back.. hahahaaa...

Anyway, if going with family, my guess is you will be visiting Ocean Park, Disneyland... and shopping.. then your 24-70mm and a fast prime is more than enough in HK. Yes, do not bring tripod.. unless there are more ppl to help you carry, as the kids will take up most of your time, and try to travel light.. esp if you are not following a tour.

I brought my D90.. with 28-300 and a 35mm f1.8. And in the end, the 35mm f1.8 was on my cam most of the time, and the only time I need the 28-300mm is to take pictures of the dolphins in the show. Other than that.. my 35mm is good enough in most shots.
    Nikon D90

Out of curiosity, what lens did u bring back
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Guys, I'm in hk already.
    Traveling with 2 kids (4+2) plus a dslr is not easy, especially with a heavy glass like 24-70f2.8. One word tough!

I began to appreciate the beauty and weight of my 50f1.4G already.
    Nevertheless... It is a hell of experiences.

Yesterday I went mongkok and saw a ton of camera stores... Are they safe and cheap to buy from??
    Which are the more reliable ones, can let me know?

Quote Originally Posted by bethpapa74
    Guys, I'm in hk already.
    Traveling with 2 kids (4+2) plus a dslr is not easy, especially with a heavy glass like 24-70f2.8. One word tough!

Yesterday I went mongkok and saw a ton of camera stores... Are they safe and cheap to buy from??
    Haha ... Tough, but hope u got nice photo back. Cheap to buy len in hk, but pls becareful, some shop might sell some inferior len to tourist like u. Etc; dust in len, quite common, also look out for minor scratch mark on glass. I do encounter these before ..

U got any maid to help u .. ., can ask her hold ur camera .. Or best, buy a prime and leave ur 24/70 in hote
    Room.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    He only brought back the 35mm because his 28-300mm got eaten by the dolphins.

Quote Originally Posted by bethpapa74 View Post
    Guys, I'm in hk already.

Have a good time there! And do share some interesting pictures! Shops are okay but do know their street price and REALLY REALLY bargain. (yes you can)

Do not buy bodies or lenses as you might not know if it's grey or something. (they are tricky alright) Accessories are fine.

Look for echo photo in TST. It's opposite a big HMV at TST. A very small, sleazy looking shop with a few old old shopkeepers. But their price is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    Sigma 150-500mm
    Nikon D90

Do a search.. do stay clear of all neon lights shops.. they are normally (if not all) black shop. Chop you like no tomorrow.

Also note that please please in HK, if you intend to buy and price is right, then u ask for the lens to try. Dun try and try.. lens no problem and then walk away..

I tend to get from this shop, cos it is easy to locate in Mongkok.

Wing Shing Photo Supplies (永成攝影器材) 旺角西洋菜街 55-57 號地下 G/F., 55-57 Sai Yeung Choi Street, Mongkok, Kowloon (branch)
    Tel: (852) 2396 6886
    Opening hour: 10am to 9:30pm
    E-mail: info@wingshingphoto.com
    MTR: get off @ Mongkok station – take either exit D3 - 25m ahead on the right side.
    Note: Man Shing and Wing Shing are supposedly owned by the same owner. All three
    stores are located in Mongkok area. Selection-wise, Wing Shing’s flagship store in Fa
    Yuen Street is the biggest among the three with the biggest floor space and largest
    selections.
    -Official import (therefore HK/China Warranty is included)
    -Prices are good enough. Most popular and new models in stock
    -Large sales volume – staff are primarily sales clerk so do your homework before you
    visit

Any, this info can be found in this forum. Just do a search.
    Nikon D90

Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz View Post
    He only brought back the 35mm because his 28-300mm got eaten by the dolphins.

Have a good time there! And do share some interesting pictures! Shops are okay but do know their street price and REALLY REALLY bargain. (yes you can)

Do not buy bodies or lenses as you might not know if it's grey or something. (they are tricky alright) Accessories are fine.
    Yah... they jump up from water and eat my lens when I frame them at 300mm... :P

Bodies.. normally no warranty.. Lenses have, depending if the shop is an authorized dealer, but please make sure you know the street price, double check the warranty card with the lens serial.
    Nikon D90

Quote Originally Posted by Miao

Haha ... Tough, but hope u got nice photo back. Cheap to buy len in hk, but pls becareful, some shop might sell some inferior len to tourist like u. Etc; dust in len, quite common, also look out for minor scratch mark on glass. I do encounter these before ..
    Yes, I did consider to get couple of lenses here.. prob nikon105mm macro.

U got any maid to help u .. ., can ask her hold ur camera .. Or best, buy a prime and leave ur 24/70 in hote
    Room.
    I'm assuming the role of the maid here... Haha. I have my 50mm1.4 prime on my camera about 60% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by bethpapa74
    Yes, I did consider to get couple of lenses here.. prob nikon105mm macro.

I'm assuming the role of the maid here... Haha. I have my 50mm1.4 prime on my camera about 60% of the time.
    I am also like maid when shopping ar w my kid. Haha ..

I lived in HK for 2 years in '08/'10. Generally avoided the shops in Mongkok (even my place is 15min walk away). Only one or two shops are reputable. If I remember correctly, Wing Shing is one of them. Tin Cheung at TST is good too.
    Last edited by felicidade1; 9th June 2011 at 07:33 PM.

Bro, can help check how much is D700 there?

Use this as a guide, the recent prices are pretty reliable.

www.price.com.hk

My favorite shop is DCFever.

Quote Originally Posted by felicidade1
    I lived in HK for 2 years in '08/'10. Generally avoided the shops in Mongkok (even my place is 15min walk away). Only one or two shops are reputable. If I remember correctly, Wing Shing is one of them. Tin Cheung at TST is good too.
    Reputable also must be careful, i encounter not so good len at either 1 of this shop, cant remember which exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Miao

Reputable also must be careful, i encounter not so good len at either 1 of this shop, cant remember which exactly.
    Sound advice. I think everyone should always buy with eyes opened- regardless of buying locally or buying when overseas.

The two shops mentioned above are the much better ones- I swear some other shops could have been run by crooks (or triads) ha ha!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye
    Bro, can help check how much is D700 there?
    Ok, I'll check and let you know tomorrow

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast