Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Opinion on Photofast Strap.

  1. #1

    Default Opinion on Photofast Strap.

    Got one for $25.90 at Expo. So far, i dont see any problems with it. Will bring for events tmw and see how.



    Take note the price is for first 100 though.
    Last edited by Reportage; 28th May 2011 at 02:05 AM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  2. #2

    Default

    Hey guys I also have one of these.. the strap is fixed to the camera using the tripod mount, which allows you to hang the camera when not in use...

    Just wondering will this spoil the tripod mount? I'm using a canon 18-200 with body typically and it's quite heavy.. dunno if hanging the camera like that will actually break the tripod mount or not..

  3. #3

    Default Re: Opinion on Photofast Strap.

    Quote Originally Posted by satriani25 View Post
    Hey guys I also have one of these.. the strap is fixed to the camera using the tripod mount, which allows you to hang the camera when not in use...

    Just wondering will this spoil the tripod mount? I'm using a canon 18-200 with body typically and it's quite heavy.. dunno if hanging the camera like that will actually break the tripod mount or not..
    Don't worry about spoiling the tripod mount. If you are curious, you can google and read on the relevant mechanical stuff and you will know that it won't fail easily. I'm using a black rapid myself.
    Last edited by Yangzw; 29th May 2011 at 11:36 AM.

  4. #4
    Member fmeeran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    834

    Default Re: Opinion on Photofast Strap.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yangzw View Post
    Don't worry about spoiling the tripod mount. If you are curious, you can google and read on the relevant mechanical stuff and you will know that it won't fail easily. I'm using a black rapid myself.
    The tripod mount is hardened for use anyway. You just have to be careful to attach the strap to the tripod collar for any lens with one.
    Dxxxx | 35/1.8 | 50/1.8 | Tokina 28-70 | Panny G1 | 14-45 | 25/1.7
    My Flickr

  5. #5

    Default Re: Opinion on Photofast Strap.

    Having actually used the strap system, i should have bought one earlier. using it at last weekend events, made life a lot easier that i am considering a 2 camera strap in future.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Opinion on Photofast Strap.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    Having actually used the strap system, i should have bought one earlier. using it at last weekend events, made life a lot easier that i am considering a 2 camera strap in future.
    How does it feel compared to black rapid? Build and function wise

  7. #7
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,859

    Default Re: Opinion on Photofast Strap.

    alamak didn't know they got a fair, is there any matin straps sold during the fair?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Opinion on Photofast Strap.

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    alamak didn't know they got a fair, is there any matin straps sold during the fair?
    i think so, their booth quite large.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Opinion on Photofast Strap.

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    How does it feel compared to black rapid? Build and function wise
    If i was to make the comparison simple, it would be like the china clone of the black rapid which means functionality is similar only that make sure have failsafe just in case.



    Last edited by Reportage; 30th May 2011 at 03:26 PM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  10. #10

    Default

    Update on this strap... use it at your own risk. Mine broke at the connection between the carabina and the screw to the tripod mount. In the end my camera fell straight to the ground. Luckily the filter absorbed most of the impact and lens was saved.
    Therefore, really use this strap at your own risk.. I wouldn't using this for sometime to come... will maybe get the blackrapid instead of another 'imitation'..

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default

    After tried, it does not look or feel very safe. Especially when you need to walk and move a lot.

  12. #12
    Member crystal1993's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Japan, Tokyo
    Posts
    1,049

    Default

    Well i wouldn't expect too much of it since it's sort of like a china brand trying to imitate black rapid.

    I would still stick to black rapid. So far it hadn't failed me but it's always nice to have a reassurance of a fail safe.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crystal1993
    Well i wouldn't expect too much of it since it's sort of like a china brand trying to imitate black rapid.

    I would still stick to black rapid. So far it hadn't failed me but it's always nice to have a reassurance of a fail safe.
    True... those using this pls put another carabina just in case.. else you never know when your cam will go crushing down on the floor..

  14. #14

    Default Re: Opinion on Photofast Strap.

    Quote Originally Posted by satriani25 View Post
    Update on this strap... use it at your own risk. Mine broke at the connection between the carabina and the screw to the tripod mount. In the end my camera fell straight to the ground. Luckily the filter absorbed most of the impact and lens was saved.
    Therefore, really use this strap at your own risk.. I wouldn't using this for sometime to come... will maybe get the blackrapid instead of another 'imitation'..
    so far mine works just fine. recently used it at comifest as well as pc show with fast lens and flash, no problems. So how was your camera set up and the weight before the "connection" gave way?
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage

    so far mine works just fine. recently used it at comifest as well as pc show with fast lens and flash, no problems. So how was your camera set up and the weight before the "connection" gave way?
    Using a 60d with 18-200... it was probably the third time I used this strap... was just standing up when the camera went crashing to the ground.. my filter smashed into pieces but it saved the actual lens.. somemore the filter out of shape so very difficult to remove.. in the end sent to shop to help me out.. whole experience is very depressing.. especially right now I'm overseas.. back to using the original neck strap.. much better security till I get a blackrapid or similar with failsafe..

  16. #16
    Senior Member luckyorange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    2,843
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Opinion on Photofast Strap.

    Quote Originally Posted by satriani25 View Post
    Using a 60d with 18-200... it was probably the third time I used this strap... was just standing up when the camera went crashing to the ground.. my filter smashed into pieces but it saved the actual lens.. somemore the filter out of shape so very difficult to remove.. in the end sent to shop to help me out.. whole experience is very depressing.. especially right now I'm overseas.. back to using the original neck strap.. much better security till I get a blackrapid or similar with failsafe..
    original is still the best =D
    Lousy de My Flickr

  17. #17
    Member fmeeran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    834

    Default Re: Opinion on Photofast Strap.

    Quote Originally Posted by luckyorange View Post
    original is still the best =D
    Using blackrapid with D7000 and sigma 150-500. Works out close to 3kgs. Nothing bad has happened yet, but still paranoid and I usually have my hand under the tripod collar most of the time.
    Btw, I got a second black rapid connector and use it as failsafe.
    Dxxxx | 35/1.8 | 50/1.8 | Tokina 28-70 | Panny G1 | 14-45 | 25/1.7
    My Flickr

  18. #18

    Default Re: Opinion on Photofast Strap.

    Quote Originally Posted by satriani25 View Post
    Using a 60d with 18-200... it was probably the third time I used this strap... was just standing up when the camera went crashing to the ground.. my filter smashed into pieces but it saved the actual lens.. somemore the filter out of shape so very difficult to remove.. in the end sent to shop to help me out.. whole experience is very depressing.. especially right now I'm overseas.. back to using the original neck strap.. much better security till I get a blackrapid or similar with failsafe..
    I used a K20D with 75-300mm with Sigma 530 flash without any problems even with the weight. Could be you got a lemon which is unfortunate...anyway thank goodness the damage was light.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage

    I used a K20D with 75-300mm with Sigma 530 flash without any problems even with the weight. Could be you got a lemon which is unfortunate...anyway thank goodness the damage was light.
    Ya.. can't stress enough the importance of a filter for protection... anyway will try to post a picture of the part that went wrong so that others can be more cautious in future..
    Last edited by satriani25; 13th June 2011 at 10:24 PM.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Opinion on Photofast Strap.

    I think your failsafe fails to be safe. How does that extra carribina helps in fail safe? I thought it is more likely the screw might come out or the metal hinge breaking?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    If i was to make the comparison simple, it would be like the china clone of the black rapid which means functionality is similar only that make sure have failsafe just in case.




Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •