Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting in JB

Default Re: Shooting in JB

Some Singaporeans drive very rudely in JB. This is a fact. I have witnessed it and experienced it first hand as a pedestrian that Singaporean drivers simply refuse to slow down and let you cross a small little road. They just want to mow you down, as though they are afraid to lose something precious if they give way to you. Young male driver with lady passenger in front seat driving a relatively cheap Japanese or Korean car with Singapore car licence plate. Makes one wonder did they have a proper family upbringing and learned basic manners.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 29th May 2011 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex
    Singaporeans drive very rudely in JB. This is a fact. I have witnessed it and experienced it first hand as a pedestrian that Singaporean drivers simply refuse to slow down and let you cross a small little road. They just want to mow you down, as though they are afraid to lose something precious if they give way to you. Young driver with lady in front seat driving a relatively cheap Japanese or Korean car with Singapore car licence plate.
    I could say the same of Malaysian cars on Singapore roads, but is this a one off for the driver of the car or are all drivers from both countries like that?
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Actually I'd agree with richoflex. MY drivers are generally more situation aware, those who drive fast/recklessly may be reckless in more counts (and this is so even though we meet them much much less frequently than SG drivers), but they are able to "siam" much better. But when accidents happen yeah theirs is really BIG CASE type. But in any case, SG drivers will not survive roads in say Taiwan, China, Indonesia as well. It not really one off. But anyway I only have been slightly more than 10 years on the road....

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    May 2009 news
    They even dare to rob the Assistant Commissioner of Police in his own house.
    OCPD robbed at knife point. JOHOR BARU: Johor Baru South OCPD Asst Comm Zainuddin Yaakob was tied up and robbed at knife point in his house here early yesterday.
    For the safety of police top personnels in Malaysia they now live in police stations instead of going home.

The other day I reported a break-in early in the morning, the chief police in the station there saw me in his sarong pajamas.
    Last edited by Sion; 29th May 2011 at 03:19 PM.

MAT REMPIT FTW!!!
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Hmmm heard too many story about JB, it sound like scary place to go haha...
    Actually plan to go there too, just to try tanjong pagar railway train before close down on 1 Jul 2011
    Anyone try the train before? and experient to share?

actually JB isn't scary, it's just that Singapore is too safe.
    The danger awareness of Singaporeans are very low, consequence of living in a low crime enviroment for too long.

if JB is bad, wait till you see China and India.

Quote Originally Posted by MatCh View Post
    actually JB isn't scary, it's just that Singapore is too safe.
    The danger awareness of Singaporeans are very low, consequence of living in a low crime enviroment for too long.

if JB is bad, wait till you see China and India.
    Singaporeans have to learn to conquer their fears.

Visiting JB is one way of strenghtening their courage and enriching their life experiences.

Each time I am robbed in JB it emboldens me to buy a more expensive camera and bigger lens to go back there to shoot again.

I've made a name for myself in JB. The robbers there welcome me like a true hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion

Singaporeans have to learn to conquer their fears.

Visiting JB is one way of strenghtening their courage and enriching their life experiences.

Each time I am robbed in JB it emboldens me to buy a more expensive camera and bigger lens to go back there to shoot again.

I've made a name for myself in JB. The robbers there welcome me like a true hero.
    legendary master Sion indeed!!!

My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

I have visited JB on numerous occasions, what others had mentioned - dressing, mannerisms and the stuff that you have on you. How streetwise and observant you are and at the same time avoid staring intently too much on people.

All these decide your fate whether you get approached with stories of "go somewhere settle". If you are able to blend in, good for you.
    Good luck
    Last edited by sbs99; 31st May 2011 at 12:35 PM.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Oh dear.. after reading this thread, now I'm scared to go to Malaysia, my parents are forcing me to go with them for 1 week and I will pretty much bring my DSLR, I don't wanna get mug there T_T.
    Last edited by Zak32; 31st May 2011 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    I have visited JB on numerous occasions, what others had mentioned - dressing, mannerisms and the stuff that you have on you. How streetwise and observant you are and at the same time avoid staring intently too much on people.

All these decide your fate whether you get approached with stories of "go somewhere settle". If you are able to blend in, good for you.
    Good luck
    What thing about Singaporean vs Malaysian dress sense?

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Malaysian dress sense:

Singaporean dress sense:

I rest my case...

MatCh, thanks for your great info.
    I guess we just need to be more alert and try not to show off

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Can't quite explain that one clearly, but if you have a lot of M'sian friends, perhaps you may notice they have a certain way of dressing.
    Even clad in shorts, slippers, there's still a difference. Best is not to have anything that 'attracts attention' ?

My own experience years ago, of being approached. Was in JB, heading back into Singapore. The moment my friend whipped out his white earphones to listen to his ipod, Chinese ah beng approached claimed my friend beat up one of his friends at City Square; wanting us to follow him to a kopitiam to "settle issues". We pretended not to understand, and walked fast to the immigration center (old customs). I looked around, noticed they had look outs at different locations looking at us intently, one of them was already hurrying across the road between traffic to join his accomplice who was hassling us. We managed to get into the immigrations in time. Thankfully.
    One-North Explorers

To add, im not trying to scare people or claim JB is a dangerous place. I do enjoy going up north to our neighbours.
    Just need a little common sense, find out the 'background' of the place one is visiting and be aware/observant of the surroundings or what's going on.
    When dealing with the locals, a little humility does go a long way. Be appreciative and so on for any kindness shown.
    One-North Explorers

Quote Originally Posted by MatCh View Post
    I rest my case...
    Just say. Not everyone is as street smart as they should be.

Used to live in JB for 4 years. Apart from having my car tires (all 4 of them) stolen outside my rented house one night (and it's a lousy proton with standard rims..), lots of murder cases happening just outside my taman (taman pelangi), i did not encounter any experiences....Just need to know which parts of town to go, always be aware of surroundings (can lead to paranoia) and be street smart la. I do read a lot of snatch thefts, murder cases, rape & kill, car driven away while pumping petrol, robberies etc but touch wood nothing happened to me.

The only few times i got a confrontation was in KL - while waiting for a bus in the Pudu bus station....stupid uncle claiming to be a gangster asking me for RM 20...idiotic one...

Of course, the no-no places are where the best foods are.....Taman Sentosa, Taman Pelangi, Permas jaya etc.....
    Hua Hee tu hou la...Happy can liao

Quote Originally Posted by Blackgoddess View Post
    I do read a lot of snatch thefts, murder cases, rape & kill, car driven away while pumping petrol, robberies etc but touch wood nothing happened to me.
    That's because you're Black and a Goddness.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast