View Poll Results: Did you buy any cameras at Cash Convertors?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they got quite good stuff sometimes.

19 24.68%
  • No, I had bad experience and they sell junk.

13 16.88%
  • Dun dare, dunno whether good or not. Never try.

45 58.44%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought anything from Cash Convertors?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goering
    wow that was a fantastic deal! - but if CC sells you at $128, I wonder what CC paid for the lens - probably $50 or so. The puzzling thing is that the owner of the lens is likely to be knowledgeable about it to even consider selling at such prices. Unless .. it was sold without his knowledge - perhaps the wife(or spouse) forcibly sold it

At these kind of prices, I wonder why CC is still so popular?
    yeah... which was why i did a double-take and thot there's something wrong with the lens. but after testing at CC and back home, its working perfectly fine. tomorrow, i'm going to take it out for a spin. lets hope it stands up to the rigours of shooting!
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    be careful, adamadam.... we already have an unpleasant incident over some allegations made by another CSer on a company here recently. now, the mods and company are talking abt bringing the guy to court.

CC this kind of place, like i said, its buyer's beware. there are lemons and gems, if u take the time to sort them out. igpenguin, believe me! it really cost $128. and i was like, jaws dropped.... dats what i meant by gems among lemons. if u had a look at the condition of some of the lens, i won't even pay $1 for them.

its just like also going to sungei road's thieves mkt on a weekend. like CC, the sellers will tell u they are not going to guarantee the working conditions of the goods u want to buy. its take it or leave it. i remember brett once told me he picked up a perfectly good condition vivitar 285 flash for like $5..... now, the flash is happily working as a slave/trigger flash in his studio!
    sorry, I deleted the post now!!!
    but can you edit yours? take away my quote <_>~ thankyou

IMO i think cash converters is a great place for things like photo frames and old CDs, great for those people who like oldies .

Just thought maybe i'd share something with you guys regarding 2nd hand lenses. My friend discovered this guy at PP with a bag of lenses trying to sell them at one of the shops. He had no idea of the value of the lenses and I'll say he wasn't a photog. He had all the lenses in a sack with no padding or any protection. My friend rifled through his pile and though some were damaged(for obvious reasons), he found a 9/10 Nikkor 20/2.8 AFD. He offered the guy $300 and the bugger jumped on the cash. The lens was in perfect working order. Incidentally the fellow tried to sell the rest of the lenses to the shop but the shopkeeper expressed disinterest. Quite honest

Have a feeling that this guy stole a bunch of lenses from somewhere as it was really odds and ends. Nikkors, EF lenses, MD mount, etc. Most of the remaining lenses might have ended up at CC or any other second hand shop for that matter. So although adamadam may have spoken too hastily, he might not have been 100% wrong.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Yah,

But does not buying from them stop theft of camera equipment? And how did the owners lose them? careless?

Most likely the owners were careless. But such a large haul would most probably have come from a dry-cabinet break-in.

So I guess the only thing to do when encountering similar situations, BUY BUY BUY

and *ahem* enquire on clubsnap about lost equipment of course
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

maybe just like we clubsnaper, enjoy photography and quest for gears and then collected many nice lens/bodies and many memorable photographs. Then we get old, sick in bed or died, our photographs get forgotten, lens started to grow fungus and thrown away etc or if lucky, our son sold these "junks" to cash converters hoping to get something back to buy 4 packs of chicken rice home for the family? (@_@)

never underestimate Cash Converters, i bought one or two GEMS there!

my bedok side.... dun have much gems for me to take... oni got a 1996 MINT tamagotchi at 10 dollars.... Good bargain.... a antique toy whcih can fetch me US$60 bucks in ebay

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kerpalz
    my bedok side.... dun have much gems for me to take... oni got a 1996 MINT tamagotchi at 10 dollars.... Good bargain.... a antique toy whcih can fetch me US$60 bucks in ebay
    heard toa payoh branch quite good.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    heard toa payoh branch quite good.
    the last time i went there was last friday lunch time & i don see CC there, instead Watson! i guess CC in toapayoh was closed down.

once i saw some guy trying to sell off a good condition clie sj30. the guy at the counter offered $15. Luckily i intervened and bought it off the owner for $30 cos mine just went dead.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scud
    the last time i went there was last friday lunch time & i don see CC there, instead Watson! i guess CC in toapayoh was closed down.
    wow! so now left JE and tampines?

Quote Originally Posted by scud
    i think they relocated, not moved out of toa payoh, can someone confirm this?

yes still at toa payoh relocated, not too far off from the original place. walk walk and see, more space i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    i think they relocated, not moved out of toa payoh, can someone confirm this?
    Its in the same building as ntuc and posb near courts...

can any1 tell me wat to look for in a lense if i wanna buy it in CC? As in condition wise? I wanna get a 300mm lense but can't afford to buy brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by xeno
    Its in the same building as ntuc and posb near courts...
    the lenses and bodies at this branch have collected dust since dunno-when...i guess there are at least 5 layers of dust on it...

Was just at CC Bedok...sold my VCD player for ...$10....anyway...good enuff for me...that set only cost $50...used for ard 4 yrs liao....

wow, seems like u guys mostly had great experience there !! Mine wasn't a good one, but just to share with u guys. The Items there, mostly are Junks, though some are working fine (but i am not interested -.-"). i saw a yashica electro rangefinder, but with futhur inspect, something is missing from it... And there's a fre*king Salesperson, that does nothing, except coming to me, boy u want this ? then took over the camera, not letting me to inspect futhur... -.-" worst thing is that he just kepy cracking the camera..... shortof wanting to destroy it. Then he was like trying to imply that i gonna steal the camera's thingy... to replace the other... -.-" what sia... as if i can't afford to buy both... i was extremely pissEd, and walked away. Then i turned back and saw that MAlay disgu*ting salesperson was making sicking face to his colleuge, pointing at me... -.--" wat an experience there.... Maybe they oso want to hire better persons....

Default Re: Bought anything from Cash Convertors?

The staff at Jurong East is even worst. They kept all the camera equipment in the glass cabinet and sometimes you are tempted to just have a look at the stuff. You then have to ask them to open the cabinet for you to see, but everytime they give a kind of face if you see and then don't buy. (They have a lot of lens there)The malay guy sometimes even do this: you request to see, he will then attend to another customer first say he is busy and ignore you. What kind of service is this?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast