Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Recommendations for Tripod and GND filter brands

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Singapore (West)
    Posts
    690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye
    So if we shoot RAW, we dun need colored filters? I dunno if this relevant, but I was trying out a friend's lee colored grad filters stacked at different heights to produce 3 layers of colours with gradual changes. May not be a desirable photo but I think this is not possible with RAW files alone right? Or can lightroom do this?
    I think it can be achieved using layers in PhotoShop..
    Canon 550D | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6IS | EF 50mm f/1.8II |
    My Humble Flickr

  2. #22

    Default Re: Recommendations for Tripod and GND filter brands

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    GND means Gradiated Neutral Grey. Meaning they are not colored anything other than grey.

    Graduated color filters are only useful if you are shooting film or pure jpeg, and you need to know what specific conditions or result you are looking for.

    Also do note that Lee filters come in different sizes, so you need to know what sizes you need as well as what the seller is actually selling on the ad.

    Akerue is also right that you will need the appropriate sized filter holder and lens adapter ring.

    If you want more learn more on filters, do read up the newbie guide to filters listed as one of the sticky threads at the top of the newbie corner section.
    Ok, if like you said, then my original concept about GND filter is a bit wrong. I thought grey and other colored ones are all called GND. I read about the thread of filter guide before but stopped after finishing the UV part. Will recap that. I think when I go down to the shop I will see all the relevant things and test on my camera. Safer that way. Thanks for the correction!

  3. #23
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Recommendations for Tripod and GND filter brands

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    So if we shoot RAW, we dun need colored filters? I dunno if this relevant, but I was trying out a friend's lee colored grad filters stacked at different heights to produce 3 layers of colours with gradual changes. May not be a desirable photo but I think this is not possible with RAW files alone right? Or can lightroom do this?
    Easily done in any PP software. Lightroom, Photoshop, Gimp.

  4. #24
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Recommendations for Tripod and GND filter brands

    Quote Originally Posted by qianhanhua View Post
    Ok, if like you said, then my original concept about GND filter is a bit wrong. I thought grey and other colored ones are all called GND. I read about the thread of filter guide before but stopped after finishing the UV part. Will recap that. I think when I go down to the shop I will see all the relevant things and test on my camera. Safer that way. Thanks for the correction!
    Concept right or wrong is ok. Important thing is you need to understand what you need before you buy,

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    So it's a matter if you are a purist that creates picture using the actual tools (colored grad filters), or a digital darkroom expert that instead uses digital tools (PS, LR or GIMP). Are there quality differences?

    I just feel that spending big bucks for the sq filters system is so wasteful if it can be done easily with PP tools.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  6. #26
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Recommendations for Tripod and GND filter brands

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    So it's a matter if you are a purist that creates picture using the actual tools (colored grad filters), or a digital darkroom expert that instead uses digital tools (PS, LR or GIMP). Are there quality differences?

    I just feel that spending big bucks for the sq filters system is so wasteful if it can be done easily with PP tools.
    If use colored grads, and you do something wrong, it is irreversible. You are also pretty much stuck with the intensity of the color grads. In PP, you can just step backwards a few. And you can adjust how much saturation you need. You can get different shades of the colors, or even some funky colors not available in grad filters. That is why you see colored grads losing popularity with the digital movement.

    However, if you are using film, you will need those color grads.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    Hmmm... Thanks for the insight. Guess I would only need GND if I ever invest into the LEE filter system.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  8. #28
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Recommendations for Tripod and GND filter brands

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    Hmmm... Thanks for the insight. Guess I would only need GND if I ever invest into the LEE filter system.
    You can also use the GNDs from Cokin, Hitech. No just Lee.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    Thanks for the recommendations.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  10. #30

    Default Re: Recommendations for Tripod and GND filter brands

    Hi, all, I went to Funna yesterday. Eventually I bought a Sirui tripod set @ S$169 from TK foto. For the GND, it was more complex. Since TK foto don't have 72mm P-ring left, I went to Alan Photo to buy the P-ring, and back to TK foto to buy the holder and GND filter set (0.3-0.9). The P-ring may be Tianya one, cos no brand printed on, costs S$15. The holder can hold two filters for stacking, the shop saler said it was Cokin's, but anyway no brand printed on it, cost S$20. The GND filter set is from HiTech, cost S$86 in total. filter and holder size is about 110X84mm. Lee's filter and holders are all bigger ones, if not wrong are 110X150mm. They are much more expensive so I just bought the budget set to have a taste first.
    Thanks again for all the helps! You guys are wonderful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •