Thread: Is this a dust or something wrong with my sensor?

Default Is this a dust or something wrong with my sensor?

Hi,

I just got my 7D around 2 weeks ago while shooting some long exposure, I check my photo and got this weird white tiny x mark when zoom. I shot some other angel but the mark is still on the same place on the frame. I try to clean the sensor by using a blower & tried other lens & it's still there.

here's a pic that i crop to enlarge it.

dust- by chuckbcb, on Flickr

Hope some guys here can help me.
    My Flickr
    Canon 7D|Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Non-VC|EF-S 10-22mm|EF 85mm f/1.8|EF 50mm f/1.8|580EXII

Default Re: Is this a dust or something wrong with my sensor?

edit: mmm i remember someone else long before had the same problem. can do a search quite long ago iirc
    Last edited by eleveninth; 24th May 2011 at 11:50 PM.

can't seem to load your photo.

anyway u can do this test.

Shoot at a white background at small aperture, f11 f16 f22 etc.

try with 2 different lenses. the smaller the aperture, the most sensor dust you'll be able to see.

If they appear in the same spot, they should be on the sensor.
    you can try getting a cleaning kit to clean the sensor yourself (but must be VERY CAREFUL), or send it down to CSC to have it cleaned for a small fee.

edit: your pic seems to be showing now, do not look like dust to me

not a dead pixel. cos even in my cam i can see it once i zoom in. will try the white background first. it only appears when I use a small aperture. but i keep blowing the lens & it's still there. Anyone know how much it cust to clean a sensor if I bring to CSC?
    My Flickr
    Canon 7D|Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Non-VC|EF-S 10-22mm|EF 85mm f/1.8|EF 50mm f/1.8|580EXII

A sensor records light, missing light (blocked by dust) should appear darker, right? So a bright spot in a dark area cannot be dust. I remember a discussion about hot pixels (red) and dead pixels, maybe you start reading about this topic. It was quite frequently discussed with the launch of Canon 5D2, I remember.
    EOS

there is not white and glowing dust, dust speck will show up darker tone.

this usually only show up in long exposure, and against dark background, every camera will have a few dead pixels, just need to send to service center for remapping, but in some cases will not be able to remove all.

spoke to a technician before, a few dead pixels is acceptable, consider a camera has more than ten million pixels nowadays.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio