Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Meters

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Yew Tee
    Posts
    677

    Default Meters

    Spot metering with all focus point selected & evalutive metering with all focus point selected .. what is the differents?
    If the photo i took is 1% unclear, I will rather delete .. www.flickr.com/photos/59837685@N03/

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Singapore (West)
    Posts
    690

    Default

    Dude, spot metering as the name implies, metering is by a spot (in this case, a focusing point) selected..
    Canon 550D | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6IS | EF 50mm f/1.8II |
    My Humble Flickr

  3. #3
    Member Irvine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North? South? East? West?
    Posts
    1,037

    Default Re: Meters

    read these up
    http://www.digital-photography-schoo...odes-explained
    http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...a-metering.htm

    there r more articles on metering modes n even videos on youtube that explain how these metering modes work. go search for them
    Google is your friend. Make use of it.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Meters

    Also, read your manual. It's in there.
    Alpha

  5. #5
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,394

    Default Re: Meters

    Quote Originally Posted by canonmono View Post
    Spot metering with all focus point selected & evalutive metering with all focus point selected .. what is the differents?
    Metering and focusing are two entirely different topics. Spot metering does not happen at focus points, it's done according the metering zones in your camera. Both can fall together at the same location in viewfinder, but can also happen completely separated, e.g. evaluative metering and center AF point; or spot metering and off-center focus point. Both topics (and capabilities) are explained in your manual.
    EOS

  6. #6
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Meters

    Quote Originally Posted by canonmono View Post
    Spot metering with all focus point selected & evalutive metering with all focus point selected .. what is the differents?
    Which camera are you using?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    If I nvr remb wrongly, it's a canon 60D.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  8. #8
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Meters

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    If I nvr remb wrongly, it's a canon 60D.
    Ok for Canon 60D, spot metering will be taken from the center AF point only, so all other focus points have no bearing on the metering regardless of which AF point(s) is/are selected. For evaluative, focus points do not matter. The camera will take the entire scene and give the best estimate, also nothing to do with focus points selection.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Meters

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Ok for Canon 60D, spot metering will be taken from the center AF point only, so all other focus points have no bearing on the metering regardless of which AF point(s) is/are selected. For evaluative, focus points do not matter. The camera will take the entire scene and give the best estimate, also nothing to do with focus points selection.
    Yup exactly. This is also explained in the manual.
    Alpha

  10. #10

    Default Re: Meters

    Can I know what is "pattern" metering mode?

  11. #11
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by small pig
    Can I know what is "pattern" metering mode?
    Pattern metering mode is similar to evaluative or matrix metering mode. Different systems have different names.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Yew Tee
    Posts
    677

    Default Re: Meters

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    If I nvr remb wrongly, it's a canon 60D.
    I just wonder how u know i used a 60D .. ok thx ppl so if for panning should i use all focus point with spot or evalutive metering?
    If the photo i took is 1% unclear, I will rather delete .. www.flickr.com/photos/59837685@N03/

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diluted
    Dude, spot metering as the name implies, metering is by a spot (in this case, a focusing point) selected..
    Wrong la. As another forummer pointed out, metering is diff from focus. U can have spot meter with multiple focus points and vice versa. But such flexibilities only available in some cam models.

    I know Sony cams can. Not sure abt canon or nikon

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default Re: Meters

    Quote Originally Posted by canonmono View Post
    I just wonder how u know i used a 60D .. ok thx ppl so if for panning should i use all focus point with spot or evalutive metering?
    Bro, you just saw me in pasir ris park 2 weekends ago and you forgot abt me le. So sad
    Macro, birding? And jio me to go long boarding?

  15. #15
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,394

    Default Re: Meters

    Quote Originally Posted by canonmono View Post
    I just wonder how u know i used a 60D .. ok thx ppl so if for panning should i use all focus point with spot or evalutive metering?
    Use the focus method that you need, use the metering mode that you need. If unsure what you need define the subject, think about composition, ponder about what must be a) in focus and b) properly exposed. Both can be the same.. or not. There is no hard and fast rule. The decision must be made behind the viewfinder, the camera cannot think for you.
    EOS

  16. #16
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Meters

    btw, metering is just a rough gauge. u shld always refer to a histogram/look at image and see if it is what u intended with the exposure, especially under tricky conditions.

    metering at best, gives a good estimate. it is hardly what i always want yea?

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Yew Tee
    Posts
    677

    Default Re: Meters

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    Bro, you just saw me in pasir ris park 2 weekends ago and you forgot abt me le. So sad
    Macro, birding? And jio me to go long boarding?
    O .. haha didt know this is ur user in cs, if got morning macro ask me along .. =D
    If the photo i took is 1% unclear, I will rather delete .. www.flickr.com/photos/59837685@N03/

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Meters

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    btw, metering is just a rough gauge. u shld always refer to a histogram/look at image and see if it is what u intended with the exposure, especially under tricky conditions.

    metering at best, gives a good estimate. it is hardly what i always want yea?
    No.
    Metering is exact if you know how. The limitations lies not with the exposure meter, but with the media e.g. the film's limitations or the digital camera sensor's limitations.
    It depends on what you are exposing for, within the limitations of the media range.

  19. #19
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Meters

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    No.
    Metering is exact if you know how. The limitations lies not with the exposure meter, but with the media e.g. the film's limitations or the digital camera sensor's limitations.
    It depends on what you are exposing for, within the limitations of the media range.
    +1

    In the end it is how and what you are metering. The meter itself is accurate.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •