Thread: Resevoir

Default Resevoir

Hello All

I took this picture last Sunday at one of Singapore's water catchment area. It was around 5pm when this was taken but the sky was clear with plenty of sunshine. I was looking for some ideas for a photo competition but got stuck so I went here to take some shots. No planning was done, happen to be there and got this through my viewfinder.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Mainly composition. If there is anything else you wish to comment, feel free.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I am not really into landscapes but am willing to try something new. Don't have wide lens too, this was taken with my Tamron 28-75 @ 28mm.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Was looking for inspiration, end up at a resevoir near my place, so decided to take some shots.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture?
    The shadow from the tree on the left is distracting, but cant do much about it. I think the picture will look better without the shadow.

Thanks all for dropping by.
    < < Photography-On-A-Budget > >

Default Re: Resevoir

humble comments: Crop it such that the bench is more towards the right (lower 1/3 pt of intersection).
    If you do post process can try black and white picture and see if you can clone away the "fence" in front.

Not that good in PP myself but some quick edit on how I would do it if I were to process this shot.

Last edited by gundamseed84; 25th May 2011 at 12:17 AM.

Blog Entries

The pillars and railings are quite distracting. You can't do anything about it except for cloning them out.

The placement of the water's edge is also not ideal, as it intersects the bench across the backrest. So adjusting your angle of view (height) can possibly help you in that.

Quote Originally Posted by gundamseed84 View Post
    humble comments: Crop it such that the bench is more towards the right (lower 1/3 pt of intersection).
    If you do post process can try black and white picture and see if you can clone away the "fence" in front.

Not that good in PP myself but some quick edit on how I would do it if I were to process this shot.
    Pretty nifty work with the PP there, hardly believe that it was my picture! I will keep in mind about the crop method. I'll stick with 'colour' images first before going black and white. I think a strong composition is needed if there are no colours in the image. But I will see where I can use the black and white method.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    The pillars and railings are quite distracting. You can't do anything about it except for cloning them out.

The placement of the water's edge is also not ideal, as it intersects the bench across the backrest. So adjusting your angle of view (height) can possibly help you in that.
    I was squatting down to take the picture, to keep the same level with the bench. But a higher angle may be more wiser choice too. I will think of that the next time.

Thanks for the comments and those who came and view or just drop in.

Quote Originally Posted by gundamseed84 View Post

Awesome work, gundamseed!
    ADDICTED

Interesting cloud formation in the middle of the picture. More contrast in the sky would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by neech7 View Post
    Interesting cloud formation in the middle of the picture. More contrast in the sky would be great.
    Agree. A bit wrong timing. I normally shoot landscape when the sky is perfect like the formation of clouds with blue sky.
    Perhaps, you can do some adjustments at photoshop.
    But i like the place, it seems very quite and full of relaxation.

Quote Originally Posted by neech7 View Post
    Hmm, now you mentioned it, it looks interesting, did not look at it closely before. Im still new with pp but I will try to experiment with the contrast meter.

Quote Originally Posted by niceboyatsg View Post
    Agree. A bit wrong timing. I normally shoot landscape when the sky is perfect like the formation of clouds with blue sky.
    Perhaps, you can do some adjustments at photoshop.
    But i like the place, it seems very quite and full of relaxation.
    I wasnt concentrating much on the sky when I took the shot. I was there, saw the scene, frame it then took the shot. Like I mentioned above, Im still in the green with pp like cloning but I will experiment more in my next shots.
    Actually there were families there with kids running around. It wasnt 'crowded' though and I was lucky no-one was at the scene when I took the shot. But it is quite relaxing though when its not crowded.

Thanks for the comments and espescially those who came here for a look.

That's a nice shot, I think you have several possibilities for the composition.

I like the shadow, as it give some contrast between the left and right parts of the pictures, as mentionned the sky is quite interesting as well.

if you would like to enhance the symmetry you might want to crop a little bit on the right so the pillars could reinforce the geometry.

Alternatively you might prefer to put some emphasis on a vertical composition focusingonthe bench and the clouds :

A square composition could be interesting:

or maybe you would like to crop off more of the sky and give a more horizontal look.

personnaly I would preer the first but you might find the last one more relaxing?
    in the end I think you can choose the one that reflect the feelings you had at that time or the feeling you want to give to the audience.

Quote Originally Posted by eqesg View Post
    That's a nice shot, I think you have several possibilities for the composition.

I like the shadow, as it give some contrast between the left and right parts of the pictures, as mentionned the sky is quite interesting as well.

if you would like to enhance the symmetry you might want to crop a little bit on the right so the pillars could reinforce the geometry.

Alternatively you might prefer to put some emphasis on a vertical composition focusingonthe bench and the clouds :

A square composition could be interesting:

or maybe you would like to crop off more of the sky and give a more horizontal look.

personnaly I would preer the first but you might find the last one more relaxing?
    in the end I think you can choose the one that reflect the feelings you had at that time or the feeling you want to give to the audience.
    Hey, thanks for inputs and crops . I very much like the last one, it feels more panoramic & wide. But I find the other crops to be very interesting too. I will keep mind these cropping techniques. My cropping skills need some work. Thank you again for viewing & sharing your ideas, greatly appreciated!.

My take on your photo...

another subtle edit to give it a little more texture, a little something extra to make it "frame-able" as a picture, I hope...

Last edited by Ripley5; 30th May 2011 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripley5 View Post
    My take on your photo...

another subtle edit to give it a little more texture, a little something extra to make it "frame-able" as a picture, I hope...

Hi there,

A very unique perspective from your pp. It seemed the bench is 'miniaturize', so to speak. If you dont mind, I am interested to know how you did the effect.

Thanks for dropping by and showing your 'version' of the photo!

Just updated the picture again...

Did it in photoshop with adjustment to colour setting/filter, grain, blur and brightness/contrast control. The first picture the "miniaturize effect" is more apparent becos of the lighting. Think the 2nd one look better. And yes, u need to isolate your object from the background when doing adjustment. Just my quick take on your photo for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripley5 View Post
    Just updated the picture again...

Did it in photoshop with adjustment to colour setting/filter, grain, blur and brightness/contrast control. The first picture the "miniaturize effect" is more apparent becos of the lighting. Think the 2nd one look better. And yes, u need to isolate your object from the background when doing adjustment. Just my quick take on your photo for fun.
    Thanks for the update. I prefer the first one though, second a bit too 'blurry' of the bench. But both takes are unique perspectives personally for me. I will try experiment myself with other pictures when I have the time.

Thanks again for sharing!