Thread: Photography in Shanghai?

Default Photography in Shanghai?

Hi guys

Just wondering anyone had visited the beautiful Shanghai and gives me tips on what to take as i will be there for 2 days.

Also, is there any shops that sells photography equipment that's cheaper than SG? I think China prices should be cheaper than SG but maybe a tad more exp than HK?

I was told that there is a nearly 20% import tax for China. Camera could still be cheaper as they are imported "under the table" but good luck on warranty claims.

Alternatively, a few of those old-days Seagulls camera or china made stuff could be cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Lensman
    I was told that there is a nearly 20% import tax for China. Camera could still be cheaper as they are imported "under the table" but good luck on warranty claims.

Alternatively, a few of those old-days Seagulls camera or china made stuff could be cheap.
    Is that so? If that's the case then not worth buying then. I will wait till i go HK next trip then buy. Thanks

Yup. I am in believe that HK prices are more pleasing to the wallet.

Got my underwater housing thru a friend in HK. In S'pore the lowest i got was about S$280 - 290. In HK and after using lousy exchange rate (friend lah), I paid only S$250 !!

Of course, you happened to be there, or else the freight isn't going to be worth it. Of course, BIG ticket item, add the S$288 return airfare can still be a winner for the purchase in HK...

hey friend.. i just touched down from shanghai 2 hrs ago... the weather there quite bad... rainy monsoon.. but once a while the weather still fine.. bring yur AW bags..

as for places for photo taking u can try taking beautiful nice scenery pics ..
    along "Nan-Jing-Bu-Ren-Jie".... its very famous for its night scenery whereby the whole stretch of street is lighted up with neon lights and even the buildings are decorated with colourful light displays, trams taking u ard on the street... but too bad due to power shortage in shanghai they will b shut off at 11pm...

One tip though bro..From there as u walk u will find alot of people approaching u to do them favours as they see u with camera and knows foreigners are more willing to "sympatise"' them....keep a low profile and not to give in as u will b inviting more to come.... and they will b pestering u for 100-200 metres at least.. although the "Gong-An's" are patrolling very frequently there.. but they cant have so many eyes..

As U walk further down to the most famous area which is known as "Shanghai-Tan" or "Huang-Pu" river. Its a tourist location... mostly from mainland China and a romantic place for lovers to hang out with by the river..
    Must bring tripod..
    From the river u can see the famous "Dong-Fang-Ming-Zhu" aka highest telecommunication building in china... where u can also go up and enjoy a birds eye view of the "whole of shanghai"... if possible..

Ucan also try go Shanghai Grand theatre...JinMao tower...The commercial area at Ningbo or Nanjing, and the Newly launched Magnetic Buoyant train which can travel till 430kmph...Or even take a 2-3 hr train to HangZhou to visit "Xi-Hu" aka Westlake..etc

Well friend.. these places i mentioned are wel known for their magnificent architecture and landscape... lotsa babes there to catch too so when u bored u can start using yur long "guns"...
    enjoy yur trp dude.. bon voyage..come back share yur experience with us...