Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to use Infra filter ?

hey guys,

infra-red all the way...!!

Just shot some new infra-reds with the Hoya R72 again (thanks to fellow CSer who lent it to me)

-> http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=91042

Hey, locksley, did you do a white balance with your 300D then? It worked like a charm for my D70. You might wanna try it.

Smile Thanks teerex !

Thanks for your advice and photo's ....
    I am quite interested in IR possabilities (different point of view).
    Only taken a couple of shots so far.
    I put one (Bridge) on this site p ...pablo .... any comments ????
    Thanks for your time and knowledge.
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    Thanks for your advice and photo's ....
    I am quite interested in IR possabilities (different point of view).
    Only taken a couple of shots so far.
    I put one (Bridge) on this site p ...pablo .... any comments ????
    Thanks for your time and knowledge.
    Where/How can I find the photo that you posted? Definitely want to have a look.

Smile

Hi teerex,

The photo should be in the member gallery (P).
    I will go and check if it is still there.... yep, still there.

Basically first try.
    Last edited by Pablo; 18th September 2004 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Additional

Hi teerex,
    A question for you .... at what point (if there is one) can I play with a photo in say PS before it is not recognised as a photo so to speak ?
    I ask as I took a few photos in IR today and adjusted ballance and converted to B+W.. but played with the originals -inverted- and quite like the result (interesting).
    If I were to post one, would it be poo hoo'd as not a real photo ??? Your thoughts ...?

Hi teerex,
    A question for you .... at what point (if there is one) can I play with a photo in say PS before it is not recognised as a photo so to speak ?
    I ask as I took a few photos in IR today and adjusted ballance and converted to B+W.. but played with the originals -inverted- and quite like the result (interesting).
    If I were to post one, would it be poo hoo'd as not a real photo ??? Your thoughts ...?

Pablo,

Hope I understand you correctly. It is quite easy to tell an IR photo from one that is PSed/adjusted that is not IR.

I've played with some photos and tried converting them to give IR effect, but did not like the results. Perhaps your conversions/adjustments are better. Post them and let's see if they can be differentiated.

Question Photo mods..

Hi teerex,

I was actually thinking along the lines of .... what changes can you do to a photo before it is no longer reguarded as a photo ... rather as art (I guess).

If getting technical ... I suppose the simple use of any filter could cause purists to say,"but that's not a REAL photo".

By this; if I were to take an IR photo ... adjust the ballance in PS and also invert the colours in PS ... then post it in the members gallery.
    Would I get poo hoo 'd for it ??

Hi teerex,

I was actually thinking along the lines of .... what changes can you do to a photo before it is no longer reguarded as a photo ... rather as art (I guess).

If getting technical ... I suppose the simple use of any filter could cause purists to say,"but that's not a REAL photo".

By this; if I were to take an IR photo ... adjust the ballance in PS and also invert the colours in PS ... then post it in the members gallery.
    Would I get poo hoo 'd for it ??

very subjective matter. how do you define a 'real photo'? this question never really crossed my mind, but for me, not only i like photography, i like digital imaging. i've seen people manipulating their photos, using some 3D software, and find the results really amazing. may work for some, may not for the others. quite long ago, i saw a series of photos by some CS member, taken in SBG ... it was post-processed into some very very beautiful dreamy photos. such photos may be for people like me, but you will definitely find some who go ... so bottomline, it's up to your own judgement. take photos which you like 1st ... then only start thinkin about what others think. don't worry too much about 'real photos' ... just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by teerex
    Yes you should be able to use a green card for your preset W/B. But make sure that the color tone of the green card used is close to the natural colors of the foliage you're shooting. Else you will get a off tone white in your shots. You may notice that grass and tree leaves have a different tone of green at different places.

Using a remote to activate the shutter is one option. But with some practice, you won't need to "circle the tripod". You don't actually need to screw in the IR filter on the lens, after focusing just gently bring the filter with your left hand up to the lens as close as possible and shoot. Those 2 shots you see above were shot hand held. I'm always very lazy to lug around a tripod.

These are my experiences with shooting IR. Others may have different experiences, perhaps they can share. Like the very nice picture arm posted that he shot with a Dimage7. The whites in my pictures are still off as compared to the whites in arm's picture.
    Actually, i was thinking, can you really use a green card? A green card appears green due to it's reflection/absorption properties of electromagnetic radiation in the visible spectrum. But, that does not mean that it's reflection/absorption properties will be the same as a patch of grass in the IR spectrum despite its similarities in the visible spectrum. So, i guess the resultant WB may be different from using a patch of grass. A good example would be tinted plastics/shades/pvc etc. IR simply pass through them despite them blocking/affecting visible light.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12