Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: How to use Infra filter ?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Central Area
    Posts
    565

    Default How to use Infra filter ?

    Hi Ppl,

    Me blur blur go and bought a hoya Infra filter .
    When I put it on the len, I cannot see a thing !!!

    Can anyone guide me ??
    Very lost :P

    Regards
    Locksley @ Shanghai

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
    Posts
    8,242

    Default

    yeah man, you won't see a thing (at least that's what happens on my D70). so either u screw on the filter after you have what you want in the viewfinder, or ... like what i do ... guesswork for IR shots, i shoot at f8 and about 2 to 3 seconds exposure.

    have fun

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    unless you have a sony camera & on the nightshot... , otherwise you can't see a thing... u bought the R72 or the RM90?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Central Area
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Really !!
    My god !!

    How's about the WB ?
    I did some test shoot
    more to the red side leh

    Ay ideal ?

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Central Area
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    unless you have a sony camera & on the nightshot... , otherwise you can't see a thing... u bought the R72 or the RM90?
    mine is R72

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
    Posts
    8,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by locksley
    Really !!
    My god !!

    How's about the WB ?
    I did some test shoot
    more to the red side leh

    Ay ideal ?
    Some do custom white balance, so they get some err ... colored IR pics after doing some post processing. For me, I just shoot with auto WB because I will convert them to black+white anyway.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Everywhere where e sun shines
    Posts
    1,057

    Default

    IR you'll need quite a bit of post processing lah...take the pics...then desaturate in PS lor...me usually use the Channel Mix function...more control...some folks here tried to colorize the IR pic...pretty cool...personally donno how to do that thou...I'm sure there're tips on the net with this regards...heh...

    have fun!!!

  8. #8
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
    Posts
    8,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kelster
    IR you'll need quite a bit of post processing lah...take the pics...then desaturate in PS lor...me usually use the Channel Mix function...more control...some folks here tried to colorize the IR pic...pretty cool...personally donno how to do that thou...I'm sure there're tips on the net with this regards...heh...

    have fun!!!
    i think they use custom WB, then switch the red & blue channels in PS (hope that's right).

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Central Area
    Posts
    565

    Default

    i see
    thanks guys :P

    Still need some PS afterall

  10. #10
    Moderator teerex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,883

    Default

    Share this with you guys. Below pictures shot with Hoya R72, D70.

    1. Preset W/B done with R72 fitted on lens on a brightly lit patch of grass.
    2. Shot in Aperture Priority, W/B on preset.
    3. Camera AF on, AE off.
    4. With R72 off the lens, half press shutter to focus scene.
    5. Keep finger on half press shutter, fit R72 on lens and fully press shutter to shoot. Exposure will then be determined by camera's program. Depending on Aperture selected (f5.6 to f8, shutter speed may vary from 1 to 4 secs.With camera mounted on tripod, you will have no problem fitting on the R72 while half pressing the shutter.
    6. Picture below is as is from the camera except for slight USM. No channel swapping or de-saturation neccessary if preset W/B is properly measured.
    7. Best results for IR photography is a brightly lit day without overcast.

    Here're the sample pics.




    Last edited by teerex; 2nd September 2004 at 11:46 PM.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by locksley
    mine is R72
    __________________
    Proud 300D Owner !!

    Can't do InfraRed using 300D can you?

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adamadam
    Can't do InfraRed using 300D can you?
    i remember reading somewhere about canon had better control of their ir in their camera than nikon, so canon cmos is not so good in ir capture than nikon ccd.
    Nikon D5000, D70; Nikon 18-55, 18-70, 70-300; Sigma 18-250, 50-500.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teerex
    Share this with you guys. Below pictures shot with Hoya R72, D70.

    1. Preset W/B done with R72 fitted on lens on a brightly lit patch of grass.
    2. Shot in Aperture Priority, W/B on preset.
    3. Camera AF on, AE off.
    4. With R72 off the lens, half press shutter to focus scene.
    5. Keep finger on half press shutter, fit R72 on lens and fully press shutter to shoot. Exposure will then be determined by camera's program. Depending on Aperture selected (f5.6 to f8, shutter speed may vary from 1 to 4 secs.With camera mounted on tripod, you will have no problem fitting on the R72 while half pressing the shutter.
    6. Picture below is as is from the camera except for slight USM. No channel swapping or de-saturation neccessary if preset W/B is properly measured.
    7. Best results for IR photography is a brightly lit day without overcast.

    Here're the sample pics.




    nice shots you have there, but thinking, you used green preset white balance? so can just use a green card? think best would be using a wired remote, so dun have to press & circle the tripod while 1 hand on the cam...

    totally agreed with the sunlight part, if there is alot of clouds, your picture will look very dull, esp after a rain..
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  14. #14

    Default

    Hi,

    Older cameras without good IR blocking filters much better. You can see the effect in the viewfinder. Set to B&W if available.
    Suggest: Nikon 950, Olympus 2020, Dimage 7.



    Taken with Dimage 7.

    Cheers.

  15. #15
    Member Adiemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Small island....
    Posts
    1,673

    Default

    Hey locksley,

    You didn't mention what camera you were using. I'm new in this too. Just did some test shots with a borrowed HOYA R72. Check out my thread if interested. cheers!

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=90543

  16. #16
    Moderator teerex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    nice shots you have there, but thinking, you used green preset white balance? so can just use a green card? think best would be using a wired remote, so dun have to press & circle the tripod while 1 hand on the cam...

    totally agreed with the sunlight part, if there is alot of clouds, your picture will look very dull, esp after a rain..
    Yes you should be able to use a green card for your preset W/B. But make sure that the color tone of the green card used is close to the natural colors of the foliage you're shooting. Else you will get a off tone white in your shots. You may notice that grass and tree leaves have a different tone of green at different places.

    Using a remote to activate the shutter is one option. But with some practice, you won't need to "circle the tripod". You don't actually need to screw in the IR filter on the lens, after focusing just gently bring the filter with your left hand up to the lens as close as possible and shoot. Those 2 shots you see above were shot hand held. I'm always very lazy to lug around a tripod.

    These are my experiences with shooting IR. Others may have different experiences, perhaps they can share. Like the very nice picture arm posted that he shot with a Dimage7. The whites in my pictures are still off as compared to the whites in arm's picture.
    Last edited by teerex; 3rd September 2004 at 10:02 AM.

  17. #17
    Moderator teerex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adiemus
    Hey locksley,

    You didn't mention what camera you were using. I'm new in this too. Just did some test shots with a borrowed HOYA R72. Check out my thread if interested. cheers!

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=90543
    His signature says "Proud 300D Owner !!"

  18. #18
    Member Adiemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Small island....
    Posts
    1,673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teerex
    His signature says "Proud 300D Owner !!"
    Oh... Blind me.... a thousand apologies....

  19. #19
    Moderator teerex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adiemus
    Oh... Blind me.... a thousand apologies....
    How are you coming along with your IR photography. Plenty of discussions and samples Here and Here

  20. #20

    Default


    Taken with pieces of film over lens of cheap cheap digital camera

    Then I got my 300D, and a R72... can't do it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •