Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some advise on SLR please...

Default Some advise on SLR please...

Hi, I have been using P&S and digital camera (currently using PowerShot A80)all my life and would like to try out SLR for a change.
    Would anyone give me some advise one what to look out for in a SLR? Budget is round about $200. Most definately getting a second/third or even fourth hand camera... Thanks!!

U mean film SLR, rite?

Quote Originally Posted by SnapSnap
    Hi, I have been using P&S and digital camera (currently using PowerShot A80)all my life and would like to try out SLR for a change.
    Would anyone give me some advise one what to look out for in a SLR? Budget is round about $200. Most definately getting a second/third or even fourth hand camera... Thanks!!

Yes, film... if can get DSLR at $200 I also don't mind...

you're a rare sight.

Do u want AF?

AF would be good since I've never had to do MF all my life... Hopefully something that comes with auto features that I can turn off for experiments... I was thinking of bring my A80 along for the trip to do a "preview" before I snap using the film camera...

since you use canon a80 and IF you want to stick with canon,

canon500/500n less than $200 (body alone)

If you up it to $250 to $300

eos300 body alone.

IMHO, forget the kit lens and get a 50mm f1.8.

Happy hunting

AF would be good since I've never had to do MF all my life... Hopefully something that comes with auto features that I can turn off for experiments... I was thinking of bring my A80 along for the trip to do a "preview" before I snap using the film camera...
    MF ain't so bad...

i would advise u not to bother using ur A80 as a polaroid unless when shooting in an enclosed environment. Due to weather, by the time u transfer settings over shooting conditions might have changed. It just needs a passing cloud to block the sun & u will have to reset.

Furthermore, I've learnt recently (me digicam idiot) prosumers cant reach high aperture stops eg. 16, 22, 32. U lose a lot of flexibility there which slrs give.

Just go with the film cam, Learn Fast.
    Last edited by foxtwo; 2nd September 2004 at 05:17 PM.

you can try a 2nd hand eos 300 for a start...good and cheap for beginners...

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    MF ain't so bad...

i would advise u not to bother using ur A80 as a polaroid unless when shooting in an enclosed environment. Due to weather, by the time u transfer settings over shooting conditions might have changed. It just needs a passing cloud to block the sun & u will have to reset.

Furthermore, I've learnt recently (me digicam idiot) prosumers cant reach high aperture stops eg. 16, 22, 32. U lose a lot of flexibility there which slrs give.

I do beg to differ...a very seasoned A80 user should be able to change his settings quickly and efficiently to take a shot..

MF ain't so bad...

Hee~! foxtwo wanna flexibility huh? Go to medium format lah!! f64!!

Snowcrash, thanks!! I don't need to stick to Canon... if you have any other suggestions please bring them on!

foxtwo, you are right... A80 can only do f2.8 to f8.0... If so, I may need something with auto-metering as well... hmmm... I see the price going up...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cheat
    Hee~! foxtwo wanna flexibility huh? Go to medium format lah!! f64!!
    stay within the range lah, cheat fox Ur minolta slr sets sold liao? Snapsnap, u can ask cheat regarding minolta slrs. they come cheap i see.

Quote Originally Posted by djchris
    I do beg to differ...a very seasoned A80 user should be able to change his settings quickly and efficiently to take a shot..
    hahah. yes of cos on a cam one is seasoned with it would be quick. I was refering to when he has to dial in settings on the slr.

Hmmm... I heard minoltas are very light and may have a lot of shakes... is that true? If not, I could get a something that is cheaper as developing the film will cost me a lot later...

Hmmm... I heard minoltas are very light and may have a lot of shakes... is that true? If not, I could get a something that is cheaper as developing the film will cost me a lot later...
    Light? Well, it depends on which model you are looking at. If you are looking at the Minolta Dynax 9, well, you would give up holding onto it after an hour!! Then again, the Dynax 9 is retailing at around 2.4k in local shops!

Anyway, with your budget, the cameras would bound to be light... unless you are looking at super old models. For example, the Dynax 5xi ain't really a light camera. I mean, even I find that it's quite comfortable for my hand... Oh! Forgot to mention this: my hands are BIG!

Similarly, the EOS500, an older model, is heavier than EOS300, the newer model.

stay within the range lah, cheat fox Ur minolta slr sets sold liao? Snapsnap, u can ask cheat regarding minolta slrs. they come cheap i see.
    Range? Why!? Go and become part of the f64 club man! Aim to shoot pictures like Ansel Adams! Train up your trekking skills and go shoot beautiful landscapes with a large format camera!!

for large format u need at least F22 to shoot, else u see 1 part sharp the rest blur. some even at F22 bright daytime u need a few seconds, so can only do landscape loh...

dun think so lah, recently had a chance to try out dynax 7 with 100-300 F4 lens, the weight is heavy, but not too heavy to wear u down that fast

u might wanna consider slr that have metering (almost all got metering ;P), type of metering, AF, speed of AF, cable release option, multiple exposure and most important is how well it fits your hand.

btw, me selling a F60

Quote Originally Posted by quekky
    for large format u need at least F22 to shoot, else u see 1 part sharp the rest blur. some even at F22 bright daytime u need a few seconds, so can only do landscape loh...
    Huh? I blur blur already...

Huh? I blur blur already...
    something to do with depth of field

if the aperture is not small enough, some of the light coming from further away will result in blurness...

actually, i don't have the necessary vocab to describe it ... sorry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast