Thread: Lens recommendation for Nikon D40

Default Lens recommendation for Nikon D40

Hi,

I recently got a 2nd hand d40 as my entry level camera for practice and i want to know what type of lens I should get apart from the kit lens (DX 18-55) that came with it.

I have read tons of recommended lens for this camera but as an entry level as i am, im confused on which one to get. Im leaning more on 1.8- 50mm (dont if this is correct) prime lens which cost at around 190+ at funan.

Can someone recommend a photography noob like me on what would be the ideal lens for wide & prime lens for this model.

Thanks.

Default Re: Lens recommendation for Nikon D40

Quote Originally Posted by gr17poo View Post
    Hi,

I recently got a 2nd hand d40 as my entry level camera for practice and i want to know what type of lens I should get apart from the kit lens (DX 18-55) that came with it.

I have read tons of recommended lens for this camera but as an entry level as i am, im confused on which one to get. Im leaning more on 1.8- 50mm (dont if this is correct) prime lens which cost at around 190+ at funan.

Can someone recommend a photography noob like me on what would be the ideal lens for wide & prime lens for this model.

Thanks.
    50mm on a cropped body isn't near wide at all. What's wrong with your kit lens? Why rush into getting a second when you have just started out?

Welcome to Clubsnap.

D40 plus 18-55 lens is a good starting point. Different genre of photography calls for different type of lenses. Without knowing the genre of photography (such as insect photography or landscape photography or portrait photography or others), it would be difficult to make the good recommendation.

Would thread starter share with us on the type of photography that thread starter wishes to embark on?

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    50mm on a cropped body isn't near wide at all. What's wrong with your kit lens? Why rush into getting a second when you have just started out?
    to be honest, im not really contented with my kit lens. i was planning EITHER a wide one or 50mm one.

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    Welcome to Clubsnap.

D40 plus 18-55 lens is a good starting point. Different genre of photography calls for different type of lenses. Without knowing the genre of photography (such as insect photography or landscape photography or portrait photography or others), it would be difficult to make the good recommendation.

Would thread starter share with us on the type of photography that thread starter wishes to embark on?
    thanks.

the reason im planning on getting a new one mainly for portrait & landscape. my interest lies in these two areas. I heard from other photographers before that once they switched on 50mm they never went back to kit lens so i thought it might enhance the outcome of my shots (minus the post-process of course) and widen my experimentation. I could be wrong on my assumption since im just a noob on this craft.

btw, I dont mind experts to criticize me heavily on my choice of getting new lenses while starting out, it would atleast help me make up my mind if i should really get one or not.

Quote Originally Posted by gr17poo View Post
    the reason im planning on getting a new one mainly for portrait & landscape. my interest lies in these two areas. I heard from other photographers before that once they switched on 50mm they never went back to kit lens so i thought it might enhance the outcome of my shots (minus the post-process of course) and widen my experimentation. I could be wrong on my assumption since im just a noob on this craft.
    Your kit lens has also a setting of 50mm. Put the zoom ring at this setting, leave it untouched and take pictures. That's what you will get (ok, minus off the effects of wide aperture).
    Don't read too much about other people and don't copy them. Everybody has a reason for using a certain lens, find out your own reason. Your kit lens can do wide angle (that's the 18mm end) for landscapes as well as portraits (using the 55mm end). Also, there are lens rental shops in SG. Check your manual which lenses can be used on your D40, then rent and try.
    EOS

AF-S 35mm/1.8
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Tokina 11-16 f2.8 for wide
    Nikkor 35mm f1.8 for prime.
    Think this is more suitable for DX bodies..

Blog Entries

hello welcome to cs =), if im not wrong u cant af with 50mm f1.8d? hmm or maybe can? i dont know. but i know af-s 35mm 1.8g can. all i can say is 35mm is good enough for ur need =)
    Lousy de My Flickr

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chillicutter View Post
    Tokina 11-16 f2.8 for wide
    Nikkor 35mm f1.8 for prime.
    Think this is more suitable for DX bodies..
    11-16/2.8 is screw drive only. Hyperfocal distance focusing is ok, but if doing F2.8 stuff, UWA's very wide view coupled with the small viewfinder of the D40 will make it extremely hard to do any MF.

For TS, if you really want a UWA for landscapes, I suggest a Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 or the Tokina 12-24.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyorange
    hello welcome to cs =), if im not wrong u cant af with 50mm f1.8d? hmm or maybe can? i dont know. but i know af-s 35mm 1.8g can. all i can say is 35mm is good enough for ur need =)
    He can't AF on the 50mm f1.8 with a D5100 but the new 50mm is coming out, more expensive no doubt

hi guys, thanks for the suggestions, what im after for are the generic names for the lenses since that is the part where i am most confused about even after reading tons of online materials for nikon so im kinda in a mess here really. I just wanna go into the store, tell them what im looking for and thats it. Im having trouble differentiating one from another especially when it comes to picking the ideal one for my d40 since i dont know what generic names for them.

budget wise though, what can be the "preferrable" wide & prime lens?

For your D40, it does not come with the 'screw' for the body to focus the lens. Hence you would need to get lenses that already have the motor inside it for autofocus. Look for AF-S lenses.