Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Hello all

  1. #1

    Smile Hello all

    Hi All,

    I am newbie and just bought D300 & nikkor 55-200mm VR from my friend for learning.

    I'm plaining buy another len for potrait and landscape, it's Tamron 17-50mm suitable?

    Or you guys recommend any lenses?

    Thanks alot!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    The 17-50mm tamron is a fine complement to ur current lens.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  3. #3

    Default Re: Hello all

    Thanks Cowseye! I am about plan 28-75 or 17-55 tamron actually.
    But Tamron is good enough? or nikkor original len better?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    I'm not a user of e original nikon 17-55 F/2.8. But was told the result of this lens is superb. If you are sticking to use only cropped factor bodies like the D7000, you can make this lens ur investment. If not get a 17-50mm from tamron as the price diff is significant.

    With regards to the 2 tamron lens, the 17-50mm is meant for cropped bodies (DX). The other is meant for full frame bodies (FX) such as D700 and D3s. Even so, you can still use the 28-75mm on a DX body. The only problem is that this lens on a DX body will have a pretty narrow view on it's widest end. To understand this clearly, read ore abt DX cropped factor and the it's difference with FX bodies. Use the search function on CS forum or simply google online.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  5. #5
    Member Irvine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North? South? East? West?
    Posts
    1,037

    Default Re: Hello all

    Quote Originally Posted by fsloong View Post
    Thanks Cowseye! I am about plan 28-75 or 17-55 tamron actually.
    But Tamron is good enough? or nikkor original len better?
    the nikon variants of these lenses r better in terms of build, AF speed and optics.
    Google is your friend. Make use of it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Irvine

    the nikon variants of these lenses r better in terms of build, AF speed and optics.
    Agree totally. Built like tanks... Heavy as well..
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  7. #7

    Default Re: Hello all

    Welcome to CS. ^^

    You are encourage to read more online, and join some newbie outings under the Outings subforum.

    Good start here:

    Camera basics - Commonly Asked Qns Like what is ISO, Shutter Speed, Aperture etc
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544

    Video Clips posted by ed9119


    Composition
    http://www.amateursnapper.com/photog...position-rules
    http://digital-photography-school.co...mposition-tips
    http://www.digital-photography-schoo...ps-illustrated

    Landscape Photography
    http://www.digital-photography-schoo...pe-photography

    Street Photography
    http://www.digital-photography-schoo...t-photographer

    More topics covered here:
    http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm
    http://www.digital-photography-schoo...al-photography
    Understanding Stops and Exposure
    Hyperfocal Distance Table Generator
    Landscape & Hyperfocus

    =================================================
    Buying Guides for Newbie

    =================================================
    Singapore Camera equipment price guides:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=124

    Newbie guide to buying lenses:
    http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Guid...g_guide_01.htm

    Newbie guide to buying DSLR:
    http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Guid...g_guide_01.htm
    Nikkon D90 | AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1:35-5.6G | DI866 External Flashlight | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

  8. #8
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: Hello all

    Welcome to CS

  9. #9
    Senior Member luckyorange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    2,843
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Hello all

    welcome to cs
    Lousy de My Flickr

  10. #10

    Default Re: Hello all

    Thanks all you guys!
    Thanks alot skylover, very useful for me~~

  11. #11
    Member chillicutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Telok Blangah
    Posts
    727

    Default Re: Hello all

    Hello~!

  12. #12

    Default Re: Hello all

    Hi Welcome to CS. Hope you enjoy your stay here.
    | 5D Mark III | 24-70mm F2.8L MK II | 70-200mm F2.8L IS MK II | 600 EX-RT | Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG (A) |

  13. #13
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Hello all

    Quote Originally Posted by fsloong View Post
    Hi All,

    I am newbie and just bought D300 & nikkor 55-200mm VR from my friend for learning.

    I'm plaining buy another len for potrait and landscape, it's Tamron 17-50mm suitable?

    Or you guys recommend any lenses?

    Thanks alot!
    I think a lens with such a focal range and large constant aperture (f/2.8) would be quite suitable for most shots.
    There are a few options I can think off:
    1) Tamron 17-50/f2.8 - very popular, and rightly so
    2) AFS Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 DX - excellent performer, but heavy and expensive
    3) Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 - no personal experience w this lens, though heard it's pretty good too
    4) Tokina 16-50 f/2.8 - same... no personal experience
    5) AFS Nikkor 16-85 VR DX - good range and quite sharp, though not constant f/2.8 and a bit pricey

    budget choices
    6) AFS Nikkor 18-70 DX - D70's kit lens
    7) AFS Nikkor 18-105VR DX - D90's kit lens


    .
    .
    . (*) Not limited to these choices only, of course.
    Exploring! :)

  14. #14

    Default Re: Hello all

    Quote Originally Posted by fsloong View Post
    Hi All,

    I am newbie and just bought D300 & nikkor 55-200mm VR from my friend for learning.

    I'm plaining buy another len for potrait and landscape, it's Tamron 17-50mm suitable?

    Or you guys recommend any lenses?

    Thanks alot!
    any budget for your 2nd lens?
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

  15. #15

    Default Re: Hello all

    Quote Originally Posted by chillicutter View Post
    Hello~!
    Hello chillicutter!~ nikkor 70-300mm it is good?

  16. #16

    Default Re: Hello all

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBaby View Post
    Hi Welcome to CS. Hope you enjoy your stay here.
    Thanks BigBaby!! I will very enjoy here~

  17. #17

    Default Re: Hello all

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    I think a lens with such a focal range and large constant aperture (f/2.8) would be quite suitable for most shots.
    There are a few options I can think off:
    1) Tamron 17-50/f2.8 - very popular, and rightly so
    2) AFS Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 DX - excellent performer, but heavy and expensive
    3) Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 - no personal experience w this lens, though heard it's pretty good too
    4) Tokina 16-50 f/2.8 - same... no personal experience
    5) AFS Nikkor 16-85 VR DX - good range and quite sharp, though not constant f/2.8 and a bit pricey

    budget choices
    6) AFS Nikkor 18-70 DX - D70's kit lens
    7) AFS Nikkor 18-105VR DX - D90's kit lens


    .
    .
    . (*) Not limited to these choices only, of course.
    Thanks for your info ZerocoolAstra!! i think i will stick on Tamron 17-50/f2.8

  18. #18

    Default Re: Hello all

    Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    any budget for your 2nd lens?
    Hi Coolthought!~~ well, at the moment i just like to spend 1k +/-
    and I am leanrning to shoot portrait, i think my gf sure feb up because i am new..haha

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •