Thread: lucky plaza shops

Default lucky plaza shops

hello, just want to ask why the government is not doing anything about the lucky plaza shops? they have been victimizing not only tourists but also a couple of locals as well. it is well known and i think that the tourism or commerce authority should do something about this since it is creating a very bad image for Singapore. when i was young, back in the 80's or even the 90's, HongKong had the same reputation. i wonder if the practice went away there,but certainly i have not heard of anybody getting cheated there for quite some time now. the authorities have been doing a very good job in keeping these shops down. i sincerely think that the business practices of these types of shop are terrible and we should all do something about this. sure,business is business but we should all remember to have 道徳...
    i know somebody who is more of an ah-beng type and he managed to argue with the shop enough to get a refund but not everybody has the same upbringing as this guy.

Err this is.... C'mon even the government doesn't do anything about it at sim lim

Default Re: lucky plaza shops

Not all of them are the kind of people. One shouldn't generalize them into one. There are a few shops that are reputable. Like there's one camera (Can't remember the name, I something) has been on the CS price list. Another is Iris Tailor. They have been recognized internationally for their bespoke suit and tailoring.

I'd imagine you are a fan of Pitbull, he was a drug dealer in the past but now he is one of the biggest artist in the world right now. If you look at him in the past, you wouldn't think very much about him. Stereotyping blows. Although I would be the first to admit I myself also stereotype people.

PS: His concert last year was awesome! Was at the front row. DOPE!

We are already a nanny state, please don't suggest 'Gahman' to handle everything for us please...

Scuba & Father... For Life

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull View Post
    hello, just want to ask why the government is not doing anything about the lucky plaza shops? they have been victimizing not only tourists but also a couple of locals as well. it is well known and i think that the tourism or commerce authority should do something about this since it is creating a very bad image for Singapore. when i was young, back in the 80's or even the 90's, HongKong had the same reputation. i wonder if the practice went away there,but certainly i have not heard of anybody getting cheated there for quite some time now. the authorities have been doing a very good job in keeping these shops down. i sincerely think that the business practices of these types of shop are terrible and we should all do something about this. sure,business is business but we should all remember to have 道徳...
    i know somebody who is more of an ah-beng type and he managed to argue with the shop enough to get a refund but not everybody has the same upbringing as this guy.
    U complain to opposition.
    5 years later, opposition raise the issue in election rally.
    Votes will drop lower than 60% and then Gahment will do something.

[QUOTE=pitbull;7211192]hello, just want to ask why the government is not doing anything about the lucky plaza shops? they have been victimizing not only tourists but also a couple of locals as well. QUOTE]
    if they are just selling over-priced stuff, it's their own problem mah.. you can dun buy wad.. anyway i nv been to LP so i dunno la..

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    Err this is.... C'mon even the government doesn't do anything about it at sim lim
    got la.. they try to do but SLS too powerful liao.. gahmen cant help..

Quote Originally Posted by lamergod View Post
    Not all of them are the kind of people. One shouldn't generalize them into one. There are a few shops that are reputable. Like there's one camera (Can't remember the name, I something) has been on the CS price list. Another is Iris Tailor. They have been recognized internationally for their bespoke suit and tailoring.

I'd imagine you are a fan of Pitbull, he was a drug dealer in the past but now he is one of the biggest artist in the world right now. If you look at him in the past, you wouldn't think very much about him. Stereotyping blows. Although I would be the first to admit I myself also stereotype people.

PS: His concert last year was awesome! Was at the front row. DOPE!
    agree.. give people 2nd chance mah.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    We are already a nanny state, please don't suggest 'Gahman' to handle everything for us please...
    lol... yea..
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

[QUOTE=Prince Photogenic;7218144]
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull View Post
    hello, just want to ask why the government is not doing anything about the lucky plaza shops? they have been victimizing not only tourists but also a couple of locals as well. QUOTE]
    if they are just selling over-priced stuff, it's their own problem mah.. you can dun buy wad.. anyway i nv been to LP so i dunno la..

got la.. they try to do but SLS too powerful liao.. gahmen cant help..
    not really because they're too powerful. there will be implications if they force Sim Lim to adhere to strict price guidelines and be subjected to auditing. then people will argue that the government is being high-handed and ruling this little island with an iron-fist. everything being controlled will cause dissension not only among locals, but will rile the "colonialist" nations who demand "good HR"

[QUOTE=kei1309;7218273]
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic View Post

not really because they're too powerful. there will be implications if they force Sim Lim to adhere to strict price guidelines and be subjected to auditing. then people will argue that the government is being high-handed and ruling this little island with an iron-fist. everything being controlled will cause dissension not only among locals, but will rile the "colonialist" nations who demand "good HR"
    yea.. erm.. wad i meant by being powerful is tt there's a limit to wad the gahmen can do.. they raid the place and weeks later all the stuff start again.. haha
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

Typical problems with singaporean:

Complain about chewing and bubble gum,
    Gahmen issue fine on all chewing and bubble gum caught

Complain about lack freedom of speech,
    Gahmen create the speech corner

Complain about heavy traffic to CBD on peek hours,
    Gahmen create ERP

Complain about certain toys having might be dangerous,
    Gahmen say cannot bring in those toys

The list goes on, I think the idea of rather than maintaining Singapore image, we have created a very 'Fine' city and people in our country has turned very kiasu. Ask other country kids and there will be people who inspire to be pro photographer, basketball players, soccer players, pool players (you name it). Singaporean kids answer are like the standard Lawyer, Doctor....

Something I feel sad when I read the paper and there is this report about parent complaining that the undergarment advertisement shouldn't be shown openly in the public as it teaches the kid bad things. I am thinking might as well send your child to jail where they give censored paper and news.
    Last edited by wootsk; 25th May 2011 at 03:06 PM.

I'm sure there's a blacklist you can find somewhere if you look around hard enough.. Why would you walk into the shop knowing it's a black shop(黑店)?
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

there is no more blacklist. i have already checked with STB and they told me that they have done away with the blacklist for good. that's why all the rogue shops know they can get away with murder and chop carrots like nobody's business.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye