Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Army Open House this weekend?

  1. #1
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,867
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Army Open House this weekend?

    anyone considering going to the Army Open house this weekend? starts on 4th, ends on 6th sept. i saw in today's ST that they have even set up a mock-up 'shoot-house' for visitors to practice hostage rescue situation - a la Counterstrike!
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

  2. #2

    Default

    Actually yes... will be going on sat. Opens 10am. Prog starts 11am. Are you organising as a group event or individuals?

  3. #3

    Default

    btw... 2 to 3 others will be going along also... anyone else interested to meet?

  4. #4
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,867
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nickk
    Actually yes... will be going on sat. Opens 10am. Prog starts 11am. Are you organising as a group event or individuals?
    no. no intention of organising a grp event. i'll most probably go alone on mon as i've got a shoot on the weekend.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    hehe, come come join me at Shafti!

    In the afternoon, there will be helicopter rappelling and fire movement using blanks and thunderflashes by the Guardsmen, plus the usual hardware exhibits and kiddy rides in the tracked vehicles. The indoor shoot is quite popular and fun...

  6. #6

    Default

    Well, just some information (I'm in SAFTI btw), but not sure if it's accurate, as I didn't really check them out:

    Not really sure of the this piece of information, but there will be limited parking spaces in SAFTI, and don't think they are for the public. (Heck, there's now insufficient lots for perm staff already..) Camps like Jurong Camp will have open public carparks.

    If I am not wrong, there are several shuttle buses travelling to and fro along certain spots as well, one of it being Jurong East Interchange (saw the signs).

    Judging from the queue barricades, we are REALLY expecting a lot of crowds this AOH. There will be celebrities coming down in the weekends as well. Don't worry, all of them are sheltered, so shouldn't worry about rain.

    Just a brief update on the layout of the exhibits:

    Most of the exhibits are located at the parade square (just behind OCS building, near the SAFTI Tower.) There are "scripted displays" at specific timings at the parade square as well.

    There's also a Chinook and a helicopter located at a soccer field beside the stadium. Kids corner (kiddy rides, etc etc) is located at the carparks beside the stadium.

    There are food kiosks located beside a hall we call "Warrior's Hall" , and the passageway leading to the SAFTI Tower. There are also canteens at INTEC, OCS, SSU as well, the best being the INTEC canteen. (but don't think they are open on Sun) Check out the sitemap for exact locations.

    There are also free military rides, and the queue's just outside OCS building. Saw some people riding on 5 tonner. There's also a live firing corner, but not sure where is it (Pasir Laba Camp perhaps?)

    That's all for now. Will see if I can get more information tomorrow.
    And may be shooting these few days with my campmate as well...

    EDIT: 6th Sept is targetted to be "Army Family Day", where all Army personnel are given off to attend the AOH.
    justarius > you in SAFTI?
    Last edited by SNAG; 2nd September 2004 at 08:53 PM.

  7. #7

    Default

    Boring, I just went today, Nothing much actually. Waste of time. I went with my unit. Only eat and eat and eat.
    The best reward in life is laughter

  8. #8

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenji
    Boring, I just went today, Nothing much actually. Waste of time. I went with my unit. Only eat and eat and eat.
    You get to eat, eat and eat, however, there are millions out there strugging to find 3 meals to fill their tummies and their families' daily.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenji
    Boring, I just went today, Nothing much actually. Waste of time. I went with my unit. Only eat and eat and eat.
    To you it might be boring cos you see those thing every day.. but for the kids and ppl who do not or have not been in the army for long long time, it will be an interesting event. It will be interesting to see how far we have progress in the defence of our nation.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    You get to eat, eat and eat, however, there are millions out there strugging to find 3 meals to fill their tummies and their families' daily.
    If you can understand what I meant, the open house, you get to eat alot. But as my opinion of this open house, it's suits the ladies because they never been into army.
    The best reward in life is laughter

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    no. no intention of organising a grp event. i'll most probably go alone on mon as i've got a shoot on the weekend.
    hi, i thought the event will end on this sunday?

  12. #12

    Default

    can take photo?
    Find me at Claudia.sg and I work at 24seven

  13. #13
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
    Posts
    8,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by illustrious
    can take photo?
    since it says there is a photo competition on their webbie, then we should be able lor. else err .... how?

  14. #14

    Default

    wow they will transport public to the live firing area to see demo

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renegade
    since it says there is a photo competition on their webbie, then we should be able lor. else err .... how?
    hee sorry. just checked out their website. :P
    Find me at Claudia.sg and I work at 24seven

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SNAG
    Well, just some information (I'm in SAFTI btw), but not sure if it's accurate, as I didn't really check them out:

    Not really sure of the this piece of information, but there will be limited parking spaces in SAFTI, and don't think they are for the public. (Heck, there's now insufficient lots for perm staff already..) Camps like Jurong Camp will have open public carparks.

    If I am not wrong, there are several shuttle buses travelling to and fro along certain spots as well, one of it being Jurong East Interchange (saw the signs).

    Judging from the queue barricades, we are REALLY expecting a lot of crowds this AOH. There will be celebrities coming down in the weekends as well. Don't worry, all of them are sheltered, so shouldn't worry about rain.

    Just a brief update on the layout of the exhibits:

    Most of the exhibits are located at the parade square (just behind OCS building, near the SAFTI Tower.) There are "scripted displays" at specific timings at the parade square as well.

    There's also a Chinook and a helicopter located at a soccer field beside the stadium. Kids corner (kiddy rides, etc etc) is located at the carparks beside the stadium.

    There are food kiosks located beside a hall we call "Warrior's Hall" , and the passageway leading to the SAFTI Tower. There are also canteens at INTEC, OCS, SSU as well, the best being the INTEC canteen. (but don't think they are open on Sun) Check out the sitemap for exact locations.

    There are also free military rides, and the queue's just outside OCS building. Saw some people riding on 5 tonner. There's also a live firing corner, but not sure where is it (Pasir Laba Camp perhaps?)

    That's all for now. Will see if I can get more information tomorrow.
    And may be shooting these few days with my campmate as well...

    EDIT: 6th Sept is targetted to be "Army Family Day", where all Army personnel are given off to attend the AOH.
    justarius > you in SAFTI?

    A few additions: daily shows by guardsmen coming down helicopters etc at 1430. Rides for the kiddies/parents in the armor vehicles are available whole day outside Safti HQ, the big red building at the top of the hill. Specific areas targetted at younger children are in the area around the stadium. Lots and lots of foodstalls all over the place.

    SNAG: yah, I'm in Safti, working at MPO currently

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justarius
    A few additions: daily shows by guardsmen coming down helicopters etc at 1430. Rides for the kiddies/parents in the armor vehicles are available whole day outside Safti HQ, the big red building at the top of the hill. Specific areas targetted at younger children are in the area around the stadium. Lots and lots of foodstalls all over the place.

    SNAG: yah, I'm in Safti, working at MPO currently
    Hey, PMed you...

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justarius
    A few additions: daily shows by guardsmen coming down helicopters etc at 1430. Rides for the kiddies/parents in the armor vehicles are available whole day outside Safti HQ, the big red building at the top of the hill. Specific areas targetted at younger children are in the area around the stadium. Lots and lots of foodstalls all over the place.

    SNAG: yah, I'm in Safti, working at MPO currently
    The shows are at the following timing

    1) 1100 with Commando freefall

    2) 1430 without commando freefall

    All the shows has the following
    1) Unarmed Combat
    2) Provost precision drill
    3) SAF Band (less 5 sep)
    4) Heli rappelling
    5) UH flypast
    6) Mock attack by Armoured infantry
    7) Guards rappelling from **** ( u find out..keke)

    There are also several side shows. The biggest draw is the Mass commando freefall display at the soccer field. A big big draw for the photo enthusiasts. Dun miss this. It's at 1815 hrs.

    In addition, there is also the CBRE show (watch out for the loud bang) and others.

    Besides the military show above, there is also the Main Street Parade happening at the following timing:

    1) 1200-1215 (only mobile column)
    2) 1530-1615 (mobile column and parade)
    3) 1930-2015 (mobile column and parade WITH mediaCorp artistes)

    I would suggest you stay for the night one as it was a fantastic atmosphere with Gurmit Singh and Jacelyn Tay today!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •