Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wedding Photography

Default Re: Wedding Photography

Since you are not the main photographer nor are your shots really needed, I'd suggest 2 things :
    1. Try, try and try. Try high ISO (at worse use it as B/W); Try bounce flash; Try off camera flash; shoot more.
    2. Observe if you can how the main photographer goes about his work. From flash usage to crowd control.
    Hopefully you will be able to learn from these (ie. yourself and other ppl)

In a church, you will need a really low light capable setup (ie. f2.8 lens and usable ISO1600 camera) if you are not using flash.
    A flash will help.
    Set the camera settings to something hand holdable and slightly motion stopping (eg. 1/60, 1/90) as well as taking in the ambient (can be a stop under).
    Eg. 1/80; f2.8; ISO800
    Set your flash to properly expose the couple. Note that you are not trying to light up the whole church. You only need enough light to reach the couple. The higher ISO and lager f-stop will give your flash extra mileage. You should be able to bounce off walls to pull it off (unless the place is Notre Dame or St. Martin in the Fields )
    Still too dim, increase ISO, aperture or flash power.

Don't fight for space with the main photographer. You may spoil his rice bowl and your friend's wedding shot.

Quote Originally Posted by desertstrike View Post
    haha, how do u managed if there is a couple whose height difference quite big? how to keep both face in focus? i tried smaller aperture but need to increase iso...
    if you're shooting them straight on, you don't need to worry about the DOF as the they're right in front at the same distance. unless you're shooting top-down, then you might need to increase your f-stop.

different heights... if standing, tell the taller one to bend the knees a little... but when everyone sits down, they're almost the same height.

hmm... true, regarding the ppl/guest blocking, how u handle? get more infront of them, or just ask them to excuse?
    I'll request them to move aside politely whenever they block me. So far I haven't met someone who is rude and don't bother to listen to the hired photographer.
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

hey thanks

btw, how u handle the ppl who always like to ask question and question ur judgement on the actual day?
    If you have the skill and knowledge, don't be afraid of people questioning you(it's same applicable to your own day time job), coz it will help building up your reputation by words of mouth. However, if you are not sure what to reply, you can tell them you are busy shooting now, will revert back to them when you are free and then walkaway.
    Last edited by kentwong81; 1st June 2011 at 01:19 PM.
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

Since u r not paid, then it's ok. Just go ahead and do it. This is the best chance for u to learn.

If I got the chance, I will do it for free as well . I'm a Newbie as well.

Take it as positive learning. Some ppl are too serious and critical. So serious for what? Life too short

So long as the couple dont expect high standards from u (they shouldn't since not paying u), just do what u know.

But be serious abt it. Recee the places u going to shoot and talk to the organizers.

My suggestion is to just use 35mm prime and a flash. Focus on the guests, parents and candid shoots, church building, interiors, food, kids....

The couple will live to see all these photos!

The main photographer will definitely focus on the couple. So complement each other. No need to fight with him.

Let him do his paid job while u shoot other things.

35mm prime will be enough for this work.

okie, thanks all for the suggestions and advice!
    D90|10-24mm f3.5-4.5G|70-300mm VR f/4.5-5.6G|18-105mm VR f/3.5-5.6G|35mm f/1.8|SB700|MB-D80

wow this thread definitely gave insight on the things to take note, i'm taking up the role of secondary photog free for my best friend's wedding! can't wait to learn from the pro that they hired. Haha. Learning is always great and fun.

Thanks to everyone who contributed!

Quote Originally Posted by technoglitz87 View Post
    wow this thread definitely gave insight on the things to take note, i'm taking up the role of secondary photog free for my best friend's wedding! can't wait to learn from the pro that they hired. Haha. Learning is always great and fun.

Thanks to everyone who contributed!
    erm bro. not every wedding photographer is a good wedding photographer. i've seen so many "pros" and the really pro "pros" are far fewer. be sure the one you're learning from is someone who has experience and gets the job done properly, lest you learn the wrong things.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309

erm bro. not every wedding photographer is a good wedding photographer. i've seen so many "pros" and the really pro "pros" are far fewer. be sure the one you're learning from is someone who has experience and gets the job done properly, lest you learn the wrong things.
    And not every pro is friendly. Some r v stuck up coz they dun wan to teach and they think you CMI.

So always test water first.

Haha yeah, some won't be magnanimous to share their tips and tricks. But of course being total stranger to him, i'd observe on the stuff he does. Try to steer clear from his path.

i won't say i'm a shabby photog myself, so i believe i can judge when i see one lol. Esp those bundle in wedding packages, duno gd or not. Leave it to the day then, meanwhile i keep on brushing up on my own skills

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123