Thread: car accident: need advice

Default car accident: need advice

hi,

Just got langa in the back by a motorbike, and have since gotten my car assesed at IDAC, with damage done costing about $2000 to repair.

Now, problem is, this is a new car, and i would like to get my car repaired at the agent, but they dont handle third party claims, so i'm left with 2 choices:

1) Repair at agent:

Pro: Genuine parts and workmanship, retain warranty for car

Cons: Have to claim my own insurance first, losing my NCD and paying an excess, but cost of repair will be borne by the third pary insurer

or pay in cash myself first and claim the amount incured from the third part insurer myself (quite troublesome right??)

2) Repair at autorhised workshop:

Pros: Everything done for me, dont need to pay a cent, courtesy car for use when car is being repaired.

Cons: Loss warrenty for the part repaired...(but bumper and boot only..notimportant right)??

haha, from the way i phrase my arguments, quite obvious what i want right? but just want to hear some opinions and some alternative views. thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by reactan
    hi,

Just got langa in the back by a motorbike, and have since gotten my car assesed at IDAC, with damage done costing about $2000 to repair.

Now, problem is, this is a new car, and i would like to get my car repaired at the agent, but they dont handle third party claims, so i'm left with 2 choices:

1) Repair at agent:

Pro: Genuine parts and workmanship, retain warranty for car

Cons: Have to claim my own insurance first, losing my NCD and paying an excess, but cost of repair will be borne by the third pary insurer

or pay in cash myself first and claim the amount incured from the third part insurer myself (quite troublesome right??)

2) Repair at autorhised workshop:

Pros: Everything done for me, dont need to pay a cent, courtesy car for use when car is being repaired.

Cons: Loss warrenty for the part repaired...(but bumper and boot only..notimportant right)??

haha, from the way i phrase my arguments, quite obvious what i want right? but just want to hear some opinions and some alternative views. thanks all!
    Hi,

I had the same experience.

Take option no. 2 of course. What warranty can you get for the bumper and boot? It's the engine that needs warranty.

By sending it to an authorised workshops, they will settle everything for you. The costs of the courtesy car will also be forwarded to the motorbike owner's insurance company.

So, no reason why you do not want to take option 2!

actually nowadays authorised workshop will buy original bumper & boot cover (need to insist, since its a new car) from the car agent. Dun let them say wat bang bang back will be the same... those touch ups are not worth it... since its kena behind.. most prob is sure win case... (dun take my word for it) since claiming from insurance, just make full use of it...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Thanks all!!!

This may come a bit too late for you but here is my own experience anyway . . .

My then 1-month old Corolla was hit from the side by a huge Volvo. Damage was $11,000.

I got it repaired at Borneo Motors, paying $1000 excess myself and claiming the rest of the bill against my own insurer AIG. Naturally my next premium went up significantly and NCD was down from 50% to 20%.

But then I sued the other driver and won. I submitted the paperwork of the successful suit to AIG and got everything re-instated. I received a cheque from AIG as refund when my premium got reduced to its original level.

The greatest thing was to have my car repaired well. Till this day (almost 2 years now), there isn't single squeak and the thought of selling it off has never cross my mind.

***P/S: As a bonus, I got about $12,000 from suing the chap who drove into me.

Quote Originally Posted by DoorKeeper

My then 1-month old Corolla was hit from the side by a huge Volvo. Damage was $11,000.

I got it repaired at Borneo Motors, paying $1000 excess myself and claiming the rest of the bill against my own insurer AIG. Naturally my next premium went up significantly and NCD was down from 50% to 20%.

But then I sued the other driver and won. I submitted the paperwork of the successful suit to AIG and got everything re-instated. I received a cheque from AIG as refund when my premium got reduced to its original level.

The greatest thing was to have my car repaired well. Till this day (almost 2 years now), there isn't single squeak and the thought of selling it off has never cross my mind.

wahh.

one yr bang 3 time no need to work liao lor

in the first place, shouldn't u claim against the other party's insurance? hence saving all these trouble. you don't even have to pay excess and get to use a car for free during the repair period

vince123123
    Guests

Just wondering did your case proceed to court or was it settled pre-trial? you filed your writ in the magistrate's court?

go for option 1.
    seem you langa behind, almost sure get claim..
    I believe u using NTUC insurance?

their requirement needs u to claim against yourself regardless
    of whose right or wrong. unfortunately your plan is with excess,
    it may comes up to $500.

I did that for my car when I kenna. claim against myself, after
    that successful claim against the other party, my NCD was
    being reinstated.

zod:
    What I understood from the Borneo staff was that dealing with the other party's insurance company can be quite hairy. The excess has to be paid right away for the repair to commence, so I really had no choice. True enough, the entire saga lasted more than a year end to end.

vince123123:
    My case did not go to court. I happened to bump into an old NS mate who become a lawyer. Strangely, his practise focuses a lot on accident claims. I handed the police reports, repair bills etc to him and that was that. In the end, he did not even charge me his professional fees! So I bought him lunch lor. Also, I suspect things did not end up in court because the other driver did a "hit-and-run" on me. So she got 4 charges from the Traffic Police. It would have been a walk-over for me if it went to court.

kex:
    When I finally found the compensation in my bank account, your suggestion did cross my mind. But I might not be so lucky to escape with minor injuries the next time. So . . . better stick to making an honest living!

vince123123
    Guests

So if i undersatnd you correctly, you got your lawyer friend to help you and i presume he wrote to demand compensation from the other side. after that money mysteriously appeared in your bank account? the other side just paid up S$12k just like that? gee

vince123123:
    My case did not go to court. I happened to bump into an old NS mate who become a lawyer. Strangely, his practise focuses a lot on accident claims. I handed the police reports, repair bills etc to him and that was that. In the end, he did not even charge me his professional fees! So I bought him lunch lor. Also, I suspect things did not end up in court because the other driver did a "hit-and-run" on me. So she got 4 charges from the Traffic Police. It would have been a walk-over for me if it went to court.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    So if i undersatnd you correctly, you got your lawyer friend to help you and i presume he wrote to demand compensation from the other side. after that money mysteriously appeared in your bank account? the other side just paid up S$12k just like that? gee
    I think the sequence was more like:

(1)lawyer wrote to LTA, Traffic Police, the other insurance company etc etc
    (2)lawyer receives replies
    (3)lawyer writes some more letters
    (4)start from (1) again

I think it went something like that but ding dong here and there many rounds. Remember, it took more than 1 year.

Thanks, i evantually went with the external workshop. The other part admintted full liablilty, and i got the car fixed in 3 days with no fuss at all. Its about as "pleasent" an experience i could i have got.

Again, thanks to all who have contributed their views.